Reload this Page >

Max Visa Stay

Max Visa Stay

Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Max Visa Stay

Hi,

Im a UK citizen looking at purchasing a house boat in SanFrancisco, is it possible for me to optain a visa that would allow me to spend 6mths a year in the USA. I intend to do this on a yearly basis for the next 10 years. I own an online software company that can be run from the internet, so i can continue to work and run my business from my laptop.

1, Can i obtain a regular 6mths VISA every year
2, Can i continue to run my business online from the USA
3, Do i have to pay any taxes in the USA
4, Do i have to continue paying tax & NIS in the UK whilst living in the USA for 6mths.
5, Is their an easier way of doing this!

Thanks for your help on this

Cheers

Mark
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Max Visa Stay

Hi,

Im a UK citizen looking at purchasing a house boat in SanFrancisco, is it possible for me to optain a visa that would allow me to spend 6mths a year in the USA. I intend to do this on a yearly basis for the next 10 years. I own an online software company that can be run from the internet, so i can continue to work and run my business from my laptop.

yes
a B-2 visa.

No

No, because you cannot work

4, Do i have to continue paying tax & NIS in the UK whilst living in the USA for 6mths.

dunno, ask the inland revenue.

Buy an existing USA software company and transfer yourself on an L1 visa.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark
Hi,

Thanks for your help on this

Cheers

Mark
It'll all end in tears.

Additional Q's
Are you married?
Have you got kids?
Does your net liquifiable worth exceed USD 200k/500k/1m?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Max Visa Stay

Originally Posted by Manc
Hi,

yes
a B-2 visa.

No

No, because you cannot work

dunno, ask the inland revenue.

Buy an existing USA software company and transfer yourself on an L1 visa.
Blimey that was a quick response

ok, when i say I'm working in the USA I'm not really working as such, all i will be doing is logging into my email checking to see if any online orders have been placed then, telling the supplier to ship the goods direct. Is that still classed as working in the USA !
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey that was a quick response

ok, when i say I'm working in the USA I'm not really working as such, all i will be doing is logging into my email checking to see if any online orders have been placed then, telling the supplier to ship the goods direct. Is that still classed as working in the USA !
how will you live
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It'll all end in tears.

Additional Q's
Are you married?
Have you got kids?
Does your net liquifiable worth exceed USD 200k/500k/1m?
Im getting married in December in the USA
No Kids
No to answer 3

I own my a property in the UK, i will own a property in tyhe USA, i do have the funds to support myself for 6mths

Cheers

Mark
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Im getting married in December in the USA
No Kids
No to answer 3

I own my a property in the UK, i will own a property in tyhe USA, i do have the funds to support myself for 6mths

Cheers

Mark
How to do it...
1/ Dump the Brit chick and marry a Yank one. And gawd 'elp yer!
2/ Flog the house in the UK, get an E-2 and business for the then Brit wife (you can keep her with this scenario!), you can do your e-business stuff freely after getting an EAD.

Your visitor visa idea might work for a while but not for the long term. If you apply for a B-1/2, it'll probably be rejected. You could run your idea on a VWP and I'd give it a couple of goes before it went tits up at the port of entry.

Working, even under your scenario, is a no-no on any visitors visa.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

How to do it...
2/ Flog the house in the UK, get an E-2 and business for the then Brit wife (you can keep her with this scenario!), you can do your e-business stuff freely after getting an EAD.

Your visitor visa idea might work for a while but not for the long term. If you apply for a B-1/2, it'll probably be rejected. You could run your idea on a VWP and I'd give it a couple of goes before it went tits up at the port of entry.

Working, even under your scenario, is a no-no on any visitors visa.
Ok

I like you style buts its way too complicated,

This is what i wanna do,

Live in the USA for 6mths, dont work just chill on the houseboat

Return to the UK work for six months, do a little work, then back to the USA again for six months, or maybe 3 it depends. Will i have a problem if i kept doing this every year. I'm mean I'm not doing anything wrong I'm just taking a 6mth holiday every year, its a bit like semi retirement at 30

Cheers
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

house boat....float it out to international waters to conduct your business
But it'll be trickyg getting the B1/2 visa to be honest especially if your not in retirement age...plus a mare of a time getting medical insurance.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Will i have a problem if i kept doing this every year. I'm mean I'm not doing anything wrong I'm just taking a 6mth holiday every year, its a bit like semi retirement at 30
Problem is, the average american only has 5-10 days a holiday a year, so you'll have a hell of a time convincing the officer at POE to let you in without having immigrant intent...
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:49 pm
Septicity

Ok

This is what i wanna do,

Return to the UK work for six months, do a little work, then back to the USA again for six months, or maybe 3 it depends. Will i have a problem if i kept doing this every year. I'm mean I'm not doing anything wrong I'm just taking a 6mth holiday every year, its a bit like semi retirement at 30

Cheers

Many foreign retirees do it, especially in FL.

However, you are applying in the land of fortnight holidays (if you're lucky!) and folks working till they're 70+. I can't see you getting a B-1/2 at the consulate since they are working with US culture, and if you apply and are refused, you'll be permanently red flagged.

On the VWP, you'll get away with it for a while, then they'll start giving you the third degree and eventually refuse entry. And you'll be stuck with a house boat you can't even visit!

How about trying another country. The USA is the most difficult destination.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:50 pm
Winterwords

How to do it...
ROFL

Or he could always go for a softer option of marrying a dual nat raised in the UK

Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
house boat....float it out to international waters to conduct your business
But it'll be trickyg getting the B1/2 visa to be honest especially if your not in retirement age...plus a mare of a time getting medical insurance.
Ill tell you one thing, is it worth the effort!!

I may as well just buy a nice cottage in the Alps
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:55 pm
@matthewb76

Ok

This is what i wanna do,

Cheers
I don't see anything wrong with this.

they catch you working though, you're toast.
(quite how they would catch you is another story........)
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:00 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Manc
I don't see anything wrong with this.

they catch you working though, you're toast.
(quite how they would catch you is another story........)

It's the 6 months that will be the problem. Ninety days on a VWP (say no more than once a year) has a much better chance of succeeding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.