Fat Ass...

Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fat Ass...

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
How come?
My wife was given the green light for a gastric bypass, not to loss weight for aesthetic reasons, but her acute rheumatoid arthiritis in her joints.
She is still in agony 18 months on, and some days cannot walk. I would hate to imagine what she would suffer like if she were still a big lass.
Blue Cross Blue Shield will not authorise Bariatric Treatment for just aesthetic reasons anymore (In Michigan at least) There must be a medical reason to back up the surgery.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:17 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Ah right, so eating less has nothing to do with it, it's all because they're less stressed. Got it.

no, not 100% stress but certainly you havn't been doing your reading yet...you need give more of the benefit of the doubt to some poeple, and have a little more respect to the fatties (lol)

try these sites...very well respected and up to date information on Cortisol.

http://stress.about.com/cs/cortisol/a/aa012901.htm

http://www.aeron.com/new_page_27.htm

http://www.waichung.demon.co.uk/webanim/CortWeb.htm

http://members.tripod.com/~charles_W/cortisol.html
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:02 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1976
My wife was given the green light for a gastric bypass, not to loss weight for aesthetic reasons, but her acute rheumatoid arthiritis in her joints.
She is still in agony 18 months on, and some days cannot walk. I would hate to imagine what she would suffer like if she were still a big lass.
Blue Cross Blue Shield will not authorise Bariatric Treatment for just aesthetic reasons anymore (In Michigan at least) There must be a medical reason to back up the surgery.
Are you saying she has had a gastric bypass then? I can understand your reaction to my comments. However, I did not say that obese people do not deserve the op, or shouldn't have the op and I don't feel that way either. It still does surprise me however that the weight loss only occurs when there has been a radical change in lifestyle and eating habits brought on by this op, rather than 'doing it the old fashioned way' and changing the lifestyle and attitudes towards food by themselves.
My comments were posted in rather an acidic manner and I apologise if I offended (and obviously I did)
Perhaps I should just go back to being a mostly silent observer
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying she has had a gastric bypass then?
Yes.
Well there is a lot of stigma attached to having the op, and it wasn't really a food issue with the misses, I mean she was way more active that I was, she's fit as a fiddle otherwise, but about 2 years ago this RA started and it basically crippled her from the onset. We went back to England last April (It was her first visit) and she needed steroids just to be able to get through the week of walking around the UK (well walking back from the boozer)
So she decided to go for the op. The RA is still there but I hate to imagine what it would be like with 90+ lbs on top of the knees.

What I am against is the tom dick and harry surgeries opening up offering this surgery. To be honest, Bariatric Treatment have been 100% great with the whole proceedure, and I think there are a lot of Nip/Tuck places cropping up which are just in it for the 'craze' that gastric bypasses have become recently. This is worrying as I don't think they offer the level of pre-op psyciatric care (To make sure the patient is level headed enough to know what they're doing, or why they're doing this) and indeed, after the Op, Melissa needs to submit bloodwork every 3 months to Bariatric Treatment to make sure she's getting enough nutrients and vitamins etc etc. I doubt these new set-ups offer anything like this care to the people whom are just looking for a quick fix on the cheap.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Always excuses, people put on weight because the lack self control with food period.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:36 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Always excuses, people put on weight because the lack self control with food period.
You're not listening to me...

I agree with you, self control is a major factor in obesity, but it is NOT the only reason (or 'period' as you so politely put it), you must have a basic understanding of the bodies biochemical pathways in order to understand why the body reacts like it does and what can be done about it. Once the body is obese, it IS a FACT that it becomes mush harder to lose weight due to the over production of cortisol.

I'm not an obese person making excuses for myself, I'm not even overweight, I'm just pointing out the facts.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:11 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

I have become disenchanted with BCBS. They would not cover a contraceptive treatment even though it would cost them a whole lot more if we had another child! Thankfully my insurance would cover it 100%.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
You're not listening to me...

I agree with you, self control is a major factor in obesity, but it is NOT the only reason (or 'period' as you so politely put it), you must have a basic understanding of the bodies biochemical pathways in order to understand why the body reacts like it does and what can be done about it. Once the body is obese, it IS a FACT that it becomes mush harder to lose weight due to the over production of cortisol.

I'm not an obese person making excuses for myself, I'm not even overweight, I'm just pointing out the facts.

I won't argue that for "some" there is a medical reason for gaining weight or being unable to lose excess weight. However, it is also a FACT that for many overweight people it is a lot easier for them to lose weight than it is for the person trying to lose just 5 lbs of excess weight. This being simply due to the fact that the more weight you carry the more energy you require just to get through each day.

My younger brother, who does not claim to have any medical reason for being overweight (i.e. he just eats more than his body needs and his BMI reading equates to clinical obesity), is 230lbs, I am 115lbs and we recently went on a diet together. My brother had more than double the calorie allowance I had ...... he lost 12lbs whereas I only lost 2lbs!

It would seem that far too many people today look for a quick fix to their weight problem, or just look for an excuse as to why they are overweight. My eldest brother is also obese, in fact he has been described as "morbidly obese" and as a result suffers from various weight related medical problems. Surgical intervention is not a possibility as the risk of surgery due to his weight is considered too high. All he can do is lose weight via the usual method of counting calories, but as he has absolutely no inclination to lose weight by that method his future is rather bleak.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:00 pm
dealing with it

Originally Posted by 207lonsdale

It would seem that far too many people today look for a quick fix to their weight problem, or just look for an excuse as to why they are overweight. .
I'd agree with that.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Yes.
Well there is a lot of stigma attached to having the op, and it wasn't really a food issue with the misses, I mean she was way more active that I was, she's fit as a fiddle otherwise, but about 2 years ago this RA started and it basically crippled her from the onset. We went back to England last April (It was her first visit) and she needed steroids just to be able to get through the week of walking around the UK (well walking back from the boozer)
So she decided to go for the op. The RA is still there but I hate to imagine what it would be like with 90+ lbs on top of the knees.

I am curious as to the exact reason for your wife having the operation. Was there a medical reason why she was carrying an additional 90+lbs and could not lose that weight via normal methods? Or, was it that due to being debilitated by RA she was unable to lose weight by normal methods quick enough to bring any form of relief?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:08 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've lost 25lbs since I moved here. There's no fast food places nearby, no food delivery, I don't like American sweets and I exercise 10 times more than I did in Spain.

A whole branch of my in law cousins are morbidly obese. I was stunned the first time I saw them. They are all well over 300 lbs and they are all girls. I assumed it was a genetic health thing.

This week, one of the girls who's 19 and at least 20 stone (5'4) wanted to come to the farm to help with the horses. I had to explain to her that she couldn't ride a horse as there was a limit for them. I was nice and subtle about it and the girl was stunned when I suggested she was overweight. I mean really, she seemed to have no clue at all. She can't walk from one end of the barn to the other without getting out of breath, she couldn't lift a water bucket and sweeping the floor for about a minute had her sitting down.

In the course of the hour she was with me, she downed about 4 dounuts from double D's, had a giant cookie thing and a bar of chocolate.

I really feel for the girls as they are all in their teens to 20's but I'm now convinced they just over eat to extreem.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:32 pm
ElsieTheMaid

My body is a temple.

narrow waist, broad shoulders, yes and athletic V shaped body me.

So who was that I met a couple of weeks ago?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:42 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by 207lonsdale
Or, was it that due to being debilitated by RA she was unable to lose weight by normal methods quick enough to bring any form of relief?
This is correct.
However We're both young and we played tennis a lot to get exercise, and then bang something triggered the RA and it was like she was in constant pain. The issue wasn't just walking, but pretty much everything from typing to opening a jar etc etc.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:53 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

dont you just hate the term morbidly?
its like rubbernecking an accident.
I have no idea where one stops being a "normal" weight, but i think so many people have become so unhappy with how they look that even if they look good a little overweight ppl will critisise as will they themselves.
I have a friend, he was 14 stone, looked good on him, coiuld perhaps have lost a stone and still looked good, but then he got health conscious and dieted and excercised down to 10 stone. He now looks about 10 years older than he did before.
mind i hadnt seen him in 10 years (joke)
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

This is correct.
However We're both young and we played tennis a lot to get exercise, and then bang something triggered the RA and it was like she was in constant pain. The issue wasn't just walking, but pretty much everything from typing to opening a jar etc etc.
Hey Manc, has she tried cycling? I mention it b/c I ride and it has very little effect on my arthritis (the osteo- kind, from too many years playnig rugby) because it is non-weight bearing and so low impact. I think it is one of the best forms of exercise for losing weight simply becasue you can burn so many calories (b/c you can do it for so long).

Riding a bike for an hour or two is fairly easy compared to 1-2 hours of almost any other common form of aerobic exercise. Plus (depending where you live), you get to see a lot of lovely countryside.

I've ridden 100 miles in a day and then got up next day and ridden 100 miles again, no problem. Obviously most people couldn't do that straight off, but it gives an idea of the possibilities with some training. I'm not exactly Lance Armstrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.