Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fashion, or lack of it.

Fashion, or lack of it.

Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fashion, or lack of it.

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sure you can get decent clothes in NYC and Chicago. But what about in your average US city mall?

Ann Taylor clothes are nice but rather boring. I only wear them for work.

In the UK, even the smallest cities have a decent high street with shops like Next, Principles, Monsoon, River Island, HM, FC UK etc.

Even M & S sells more stylish clothes than I can find here.
So I may have some future-in-laws visit one of these days. And one wants to shop. I must admit, I'm not terribly into fancy clothes these days - where in Chicago would you send them shopping? Watertower? Or perhaps some of the suburban malls - but which stores?
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Eek! I have to respond here. This subject is a bit of a bone of contention with my husband and I. I agree with you KJ and Sugar. We had one of hub's friends come and stay from England last summer. She's my age, which is 12 years younger than the hubs. All I heard the whole time she was here was how outdated our clothes were. We walked through the mall, and she purposely picked out every old-fashioned looking blouse or sweater in stores like Macy's and pointed them out to me - stuff my grandmother wears. Yet when we walked past American Eagle or Aeropostale or Pac Sun, where the clothes matched what she was wearing on her own body, she completely ignored that! I was extremely offended and ended up not speaking to her until we left the mall.

The point is, just because they offer classic looking clothes for older women -doesn't mean we are all stuck in the 70s or 80s. And what difference does it make what decade your clothes come from? I personally rarely ever buy new clothes - my favorite store is Goodwill. I will pair pieces from several decades together to create my own personal style. Screw what they're wearing in Paris - no one dresses like that on the street anyway!

I will say this however, and say what you like about it - but I lived in Manchester for five months, and the clothes are infinitely more affordable than the same quality stuff here. i.e. Walmart v. Primark. I couldn't afford to shop at M&S if I wanted to, and why would I? For a working class girl like me trying to clothe a family, I would rather pay five quid for a pair of unbranded jeans than 20 dollars here.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:01 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I guess I'm totally out of the loop then..I just don't understand this "what is in fashion and what isn't" thing. Why wear what everyone else wears just because it is supposed to be fashionable??

Who is going to come up to you and point a finger and say....."ooohhh you are so dated wearing that twinset" etc etc. Does it really matter?

As long as you look smart, clothes fit well and you feel comfortable what else matters?

(panic alert: I sound like my mother)
I hear you and I understand where you're coming from. But, for the life of me, I can barely find anything I like. Our stores down here consist of clothing my grandma wore in her 20's. Not kidding. All florals or polka dots etc....out of the ark. I guess I was spoiled, as in S.A. our clothing was stylish - we used to dress up to go down to the corner cafe for bread and milk.

Frumpy is the term that describes most of the clothing in our stores down here.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
So I may have some future-in-laws visit one of these days. And one wants to shop. I must admit, I'm not terribly into fancy clothes these days - where in Chicago would you send them shopping? Watertower? Or perhaps some of the suburban malls - but which stores?
I only go to Chicago for work and tend to have limited time available. (If I do have spare time, I tend yo head for the Art Institute or the Lyric Opera ). But I've seen some nice stuff in shop windows on the Magnificent Mile.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:14 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I only go to Chicago for work and tend to have limited time available. (If I do have spare time, I tend yo head for the Art Institute or the Lyric Opera ). But I've seen some nice stuff in shop windows on the Magnificent Mile.
The Mag Mile rocks!!! I'm going to be there tomorrow, wahoo! I'm really hoping to find a steel at Fileen's Basement or something uber cheap. Other than that I'm going for some Frango mints at Macy's. (I hate that Marshall Fields is gone).
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

You women make me laugh..think you have a hard time finding stylish clothes....try being a 40 yr old bloke that hates pleated pants and doesnt want to look like a used car salesman.

And shoes....dont get me started on mens shoes.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:42 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
You women make me laugh..think you have a hard time finding stylish clothes....try being a 40 yr old bloke that hates pleated pants and doesnt want to look like a used car salesman.

And shoes....dont get me started on mens shoes.
the internet is your friend

www.ctshirts.com

www.oliversweeney.com
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

www.ctshirts.com

www.oliversweeney.com
Dont like many of those shirts but like the shoes.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:51 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by ugacrew
The Mag Mile rocks!!! I'm going to be there tomorrow, wahoo! I'm really hoping to find a steel at Fileen's Basement or something uber cheap. Other than that I'm going for some Frango mints at Macy's. (I hate that Marshall Fields is gone).
I'm too scared to ask what sort of store is Eileen's Basement
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
I'm too scared to ask what sort of store is Eileen's Basement
It's Fileen, dear.

Isn't there one in Boston? I didn't know there was one in Chiacgi.

It's a bit like Norstrom Rack - selling the department store leftovers.

Okay if you've got nothing better to do all day. You may find something after hours of hunting....... or you may not...
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

www.ctshirts.com

www.oliversweeney.com
This is my mate since school and where I get my suits.

http://www.marcgriffith.co.uk/
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:14 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Shoes:

http://www.stacyadams.com/shop-sa/index.ep
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:15 pm
Homebody

Looks good. But...

"A 2 peice bespoke suit starts from £1950 and a 3 peice bespoke suit starts from £2700"

(NB: You might want to tell your mate to engage the spell-checker )
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:17 pm

It's Fileen, dear.

Isn't there one in Boston? I didn't know there was one in Chiacgi.

It's a bit like Norstrom Rack - selling the department store leftovers.

Okay if you've got nothing better to do all day. You may find something after hours of hunting....... or you may not...

Ah, I like some of Nordstrom's stuff.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:23 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

oooh

nice

If i still lived in the UK and had the income i do now then I would definitely go for those

however, living in nashville with the group of friends i have and working from home means its tough to justify

stuff by perry ellis and CK from macys is nicer than what most blokes wear here and gets me labelled as a bit of a metrosexual anyway....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.