Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fashion, or lack of it.

Fashion, or lack of it.

Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:41 pm
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future
Default Fashion, or lack of it.

I was shopping in NE PA yesterday with the wifey and couldnt help laughing my head off at the clothes on offer in the big stores like Bon-Ton , Macys etc....It was like going back 20 years and the prices werent cheap either they seem to have gone up since last time i was here visiting the in-laws.. Maybe thats why the stores were almost empty. Im guessing its different in the big cities.

Happy ham day.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:17 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice
Default Re: Fashion, or lack of it.

Originally Posted by greggx101
I was shopping in NE PA yesterday with the wifey and couldnt help laughing my head off at the clothes on offer in the big stores like Bon-Ton , Macys etc....It was like going back 20 years and the prices werent cheap either they seem to have gone up since last time i was here visiting the in-laws.. Maybe thats why the stores were almost empty. Im guessing its different in the big cities.

Happy ham day.
OMG! Don't get me started on this topic. I live in Florida, where the snowbirds flock to for six months a year. You should see what is on offer at our local stores. I couldn't even find a decent pair of stilettos up till a couple of years ago......It is either old folks' clothing or teenybopper gear on sale down here. My mother was over a few years ago for 2 months and couldn't believe the selection of clothing on offer. She wouldn't be caught dead in any of it - that and the pathetic selection in linens - from the fifties - they haven't moved on much down here.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:21 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
OMG! Don't get me started on this topic. I live in Florida, where the snowbirds flock to for six months a year. You should see what is on offer at our local stores. I couldn't even find a decent pair of stilettos up till a couple of years ago......It is either old folks' clothing or teenybopper gear on sale down here. My mother was over a few years ago for 2 months and couldn't believe the selection of clothing on offer. She wouldn't be caught dead in any of it - that and the pathetic selection in linens - from the fifties - they haven't moved on much down here.
I thought you all wore black dresses
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:24 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thydney
I thought you all wore black dresses

Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:30 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I always knew you'd look like that, how old's the pic. They're good for hiding the sardine blood I suppose
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:52 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greggx101

Happy ham day.
Heh heh you should try looking for half-decent clothes in New Zealand. Talk about a time warp! Glad I came prepared... prices aren't bad, though, if you shop around. But the 80s are enforced here.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:57 pm
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future

Great..... i got clothes as xmas gifts from the in laws.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
I always knew you'd look like that, how old's the pic. They're good for hiding the sardine blood I suppose
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:40 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice photo of you Redlippie, I also pictured you looking like that!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:42 pm

It is a bit old. Taken 30 years ago, but I haven't changed much.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:46 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
I agree on the stiletto thing...I could find none for the first few years...

I like long tops to cover my bum in winter....but have to buy tops 4 sizes to big for that....for a land with so many big bums...you'd think they'd sell clothes to cover them....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, can someone post a link to a store, or series of pictures of what you consider to be more fashionable? I'm being entirely serious, I've heard before that the thought is that clothes here are stuck in a time warp - and I'm curious as to what you're used to.

On the flip side - do you find 100% of US clothes to be dated and in poor style, or only a decent proportion? I can definitely find ugly clothes here, but I can also find some I thought were nice too.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:44 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Out of curiosity, can someone post a link to a store, or series of pictures of what you consider to be more fashionable? I'm being entirely serious, I've heard before that the thought is that clothes here are stuck in a time warp - and I'm curious as to what you're used to.

On the flip side - do you find 100% of US clothes to be dated and in poor style, or only a decent proportion? I can definitely find ugly clothes here, but I can also find some I thought were nice too.
http://www.wallis-fashion.com/webapp...angId=-1&top=Y
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:50 am

Twinsets for one. They went out in the 60's overseas, yet everyone here seems to wear them.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:51 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I agree on the stiletto thing...I could find none for the first few years...

I like long tops to cover my bum in winter....but have to buy tops 4 sizes to big for that....for a land with so many big bums...you'd think they'd sell clothes to cover them....
Ooh! Stilletos can be found all over the place. Go to these stores, Nordstrom (founded as a shoe store in Seattle), Bakers Shoes (mall shoe store), and http://www.zappos.com. I love all three of them for good looking shoes. Zapppos shipping policy rocks. Free both ways and super quick. They even sell 5" or more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.