Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Famous Welsh People in the US?

Famous Welsh People in the US?

Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Famous Welsh People in the US?

Originally Posted by Franklin
... just more of CC's standard operating protocol ... CC seems to get into a lot of swearing and bad-girl antics around Cardiff's night scene, and its not an act to get publicity. *ponders ... where she will be in 10 years* She is a very common girl, "common" as in muck. Imho, CC is a bad ambassador for Wales and Cardiff.
She'll turn out like Jordan.... breast implants, drunken fights outside nightclubs etc..

-tom
Old Feb 28th 2005, 4:49 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Near where I live there are whole communities of second and third generation Taffy Apples wandering about the place. It's actually quite nice to see a frikking huge Welsh flag painted in the side of a barn off the thuway at Utica NY. I'm an Englishman meself, but I lived in Wales for years, and my mother's entire family is Welsh so it's nice to see. But best of all is an Indian woman at my local Walmart who has the thickest Swansea Valley accent I've ever heard.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
It's just like American "football" but much tougher and you actually have to be an athlete to participate.

Oh no! I'd hate to think what would become of American football if actual athletes participated. I mean, everyone knows that to be an American football player you can't be athletic in the slightest. In fact I think it's prohibited under league rules.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:46 pm
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
It's actually quite nice to see a frikking huge Welsh flag painted in the side of a barn off the thuway at Utica NY.
Really, just outside of Utica? I'm moving there in March. I'll have to have a look for that. I also know of another Welsh flag in CNY in a town called Boonville. The family that live there are called Evans, I asked.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeveredNeurons
Really, just outside of Utica? I'm moving there in March. I'll have to have a look for that. I also know of another Welsh flag in CNY in a town called Boonville. The family that live there are called Evans, I asked.
yeah but when someone shouts "DAI" in New York, duck, because they sure ain't calling after someone.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:44 pm
Franklin

Sony names a native of Cardiff (Wales) and former President of CBS as new chief executive of Sony. It is pretty rare for Japanese giant to appoint a foreigner to such an exaulted postion.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=557249

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Sony names a native of Cardiff (Wales) and former President of CBS as new chief executive of Sony. It is pretty rare for Japanese giant to appoint a foreigner to such an exaulted postion.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=557249
Franklin beat me to it. However, he failed to name the man in question. He is (Sir) Howard Stringer...

... and here's his biography-
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...nger%20Profile

NC Penguin
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:46 pm
Franklin

I just got a package from the Wales Int. Center (located in the famous Chrysler Building in NYC), loads of stuff about US/Welsh connections ...

did anyone know that Yale University was named after a Welshman, likewise for Brown University ... and Hilary Clinton is of Welsh heritage, and at least 6 of the signers to the Declaration of Independence were of Welsh or recent Welsh descent.

Also, it seems Thomas Jefferson's family were from North Wales.

Last edited by Franklin; Apr 14th 2005 at 6:32 pm. Reason: adding info on Thomas Jefferson

Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:47 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a package from the Wales Int. Center (located in the famous Chrysler Building in NYC), loads of stuff about US/Welsh connections ...

did anyone know that Yale University was named after a Welshman, likewise for Brown University ... and Hilary Clinton is of Welsh heritage, and at least 6 of the signers to the Declaration of Independence were of Welsh or recent Welsh descent.

Also, it seems Thomas Jefferson's family were from North Wales.
I didn't know any of that...very interestin'
And North Wales does have the prettier accent
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:50 pm
Adopt me????!!!!!

serdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud of

Tom Jones???
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:26 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I didn't know any of that...very interestin'
And North Wales does have the prettier accent
not when they talk in that shite Lllllanguage..........
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
not when they talk in that shite Lllllanguage..........
It's the Llanguage of Heaven. Max Boyce says so....
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I think Nanny Deb from Nanny911 is from Holyhead but lives in the US. Does she count as being famous?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: Famous Welsh People in the US?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
To tie in with Rete's thread, do you know of any famous Welsh people living/working in the US?

I can name one who's local to me. He's Grant Llewellyn, the NC Symphony's Music Director. He came on board some time last year (2004).

For details about him and his role, see-
http://www.ncsymphony.org/grant/index.cfm

NC Penguin
I'm Welsh and I did some voice-over work for a local radio station here in Oklahoma City - does that make me famous?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
I'm Welsh and I did some voice-over work for a local radio station here in Oklahoma City - does that make me famous?
Maybe in Oklahoma City!

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.