Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Famous TV personalities you DON'T miss.

Famous TV personalities you DON'T miss.

Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:27 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Famous TV personalities you DON'T miss.

Originally Posted by a lad insane
Since you said pop stars could be included, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised, nay delighted, at the conspicuous absence of Robbie "talentless idiot" Williams from this great nation - I knew there had to be a reason I moved over here!

But while I'm at it, some others I really don't miss:

Vernon Kay (how did he get on TV?)
Beadle
Lisa Riley
Jordan
Clive Tyldesley (Tw@t)
Craig Doyle

Oh, I could go on, but I need to do some work. :scared:
Have to agree with the 'Lisa Riley' bit though. Picture this, Lisa Riley in a stretchy grey/brown ankle length dress lying on a chaise longue. Saw that on the telly once and wanted to know why someone didn't get the blue pellets out, a sprinkle of sea salt would have done the trick too!
Attached Thumbnails Famous TV personalities you DON'T miss.-1sluglisa.jpg  
Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:30 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

******* Eamonn Holmes, how can someone with a singular lack of talent go so annoyingly bloody far in TV
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:03 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone
******* Eamonn Holmes, how can someone with a singular lack of talent go so annoyingly bloody far in TV
Amen Sister Tone. He's annoying as hell. I have it on good authority that the head of GMTV has been trying to replace him for years but can't find a presenter with the right journalistic background.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:23 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Oh tell me about it. It's just bloody rounders. I don't care about all the silly little rules, it's ROUNDERS!

And football? It's bloody RUGBY!!! I refuse to accept soccer! Soccer IS FOOTBALL. Foot and Ball! See, football.

Rant over.
Karma on it's way for that, superb

I actually use the term American Rugby instead of football...doesnt go down too well. Way I see it, you can't take the term that has been used in another sport for a century and apply it to a new sport. They'd be pissed if we took the name basketball and applied it to a completely new sport...in fact they'd probably sue!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:56 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally Posted by tony_2003
Karma on it's way for that, superb

I actually use the term American Rugby instead of football...doesnt go down too well. Way I see it, you can't take the term that has been used in another sport for a century and apply it to a new sport. They'd be pissed if we took the name basketball and applied it to a completely new sport...in fact they'd probably sue!

does no-one else hate Anne Robinson?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:01 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sibsie
Amen Sister Tone. He's annoying as hell. I have it on good authority that the head of GMTV has been trying to replace him for years but can't find a presenter with the right journalistic background.
I can do that, I can talk total shyte as well
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:08 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone
Aaargh, I'd just about forgotten about that git!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:39 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Oh tell me about it. It's just bloody rounders. I don't care about all the silly little rules, it's ROUNDERS!
The Yankees had already won the World series twice before the word "rounders" was entered into the Oxford English Dictionary.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:36 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
The Yankees had already won the World series twice before the word "rounders" was entered into the Oxford English Dictionary.
Glorified Cricket then.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:50 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about that. Jane Austen mentions both rounders and baseball. I just googled this...

Baseball, on the other hand, developed in the early nineteenth century in New England and is probably descended from an ancient English game called "rounders", which also involves running between bases of the type found in baseball. However, a distinguishing and very important quality of both baseball and American football is that, notwithstanding the fact that both sports resemble games which had earlier been played in Europe, baseball and American football draw upon and express - or at least, and no less importantly, are commonly believed to draw upon and express - a set of values and characteristics which are uniquely American.
Taken from boring stuff about the history of American Sport
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:31 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.hickoksports.com/history/rounders.shtml

Rounders is, almost unquestionably, baseball's immediate ancestor. Primarily a boys' sport in England, it was mentioned, along with baseball, in a 1744 publication, A Little Pretty Pocket-Book, and the sport was explained in detail in the second edition of The Boy's Own Book, published in 1828.

It's quite likely that both rounders and cricket evolved from stoolball, though there's no direct evidence that they did.

Henry Chadwick, a native of England who became the first newspaper writer to cover baseball, wrote a historical piece for Spalding's Baseball Guide in 1903, in which he asserted that baseball had derive from rounders. The assertion angered his publisher, A. G. Spalding, who insisted that baseball must be a thoroughly American sport.

Spalding called for a commission to investigate the origins of "the great American pastime," and it was this commission that decided in 1907 that Abner Doubleday had invented the sport. So Chadwick's undoubtedly true statement ironically led to the creation of a total myth.

Incidentally, Spalding should have known better. He was among a group of baseball players who visited England in 1874, when English spectators and sportswriters all recognized the "American" sport as a variation on rounders. And in 1889 Spalding was on an American team that played a game against a champion English rounders team in Liverpool.

The Scottish Rounders Association was founded in 1889 and a National Rounders Association was established in England in 1943. However, rounders remains primarily a sport for schoolboys and schoolgirls.
--------------------------------------------------------
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:41 am
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by Deadmeat[b
However, rounders remains primarily a sport for schoolboys and schoolgirls.[/b]
Even though I've got into Baseball with the whole Red Sox v Yankees thing (it's the closest I can get to England v Germany) I like to point that fact out to my American friends as often as I can.

Last edited by sibsie; Oct 22nd 2004 at 11:42 am. Reason: God dayum quote thingies
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sibsie
Even though I've got into Baseball with the whole Red Sox v Yankees thing (it's the closest I can get to England v Germany) I like to point that fact out to my American friends as often as I can.
Indeed ... from a post I made in "The Locker Room" ...

-----------------------------------------------
http://baseball-almanac.com/firsts/first1.shtml
1834 First book of instructions for baseball appears - 'The Book Of Sports'.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/e.../m0022027.html
Rounders - Bat-and-ball game similar to baseball but played on a much smaller pitch. The first reference to rounders was in 1744.

History of Oxford English Dictionary:
http://dictionary.oed.com/about/history.html

"1884: Five years into a proposed ten-year project, the editors reach ant"
-----------------------------------------------
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:08 pm
Gravity Always Wins

a lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant futurea lad insane has a brilliant future

Fair play to him, I may think he's a tw@t but he has made an awful lot of money despite having all the charm and talent of a dead cockroach....

Uugghhhhhh....Lisa Riley on a chaise longue - I will have nightmares tonight!
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:13 pm
Get em out by Friday

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
It's quite likely that both rounders and cricket evolved from stoolball, though there's no direct evidence that they did.
Sounds like something Dale Winton would have been intrested in....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.