Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Extended car warranty!!

Wikiposts

Extended car warranty!!

Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extended car warranty!!

Agree with Boiler. Family has owned 20 vehicles; 2 had over 200K miles, 6 others had 90K plus miles when we sold or traded; the rest apart from 2 had 50K plus. Never had a need for extended warranties, but did make sure service was done regularly. I regard these warranties in the same light as those for appliances. If you look at the reviews, they are moneymakers for those who sell them.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how much it's going to cost Pops. Get some quotes and post the prices and what it covers.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:42 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Depends how much it's going to cost Pops. Get some quotes and post the prices and what it covers.
Manufacturer's extended is $1,060 for up to 100,000 miles, and I after reading up, would only go with the manufacturer's.
The only things the above does not cover is safety components ie air bags, seat belts, and also audio.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Manufacturer's extended is $1,060 for up to 100,000 miles, and I after reading up, would only go with the manufacturer's.
The only things the above does not cover is safety components ie air bags, seat belts, and also audio.
what does the small print say about wear and tear?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:19 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Will check it out later just got in pooped lol
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Maintenance/Wear

The new vehicle limited warranty does not cover!

1.Parts and Labor needed to maintain the vehicle

2.The replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear.

You the owner are resposible for these Items
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Maintenance/Wear

don't bother with the warranty then, as these are the things that'll likely go wrong and it won't be covered anyway...if the engine drops out of the car, you've got insurance.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
don't bother with the warranty then, as these are the things that'll likely go wrong and it won't be covered anyway...if the engine drops out of the car, you've got insurance.
LOL Thanks Bob
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

These two articles talk about which cars are more, and less, reliable. If your car has a good predicted reliability, don't worry about it. If your car is predicted to be less reliable, worry a bit more. But even if your car is at the bottom of the lists, I'd guess that an extended warranty is not worth it.

http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerrepor...used_cars.html

http://www.auto-broker-magic.com/used-car-ratings.html

Also - you mentioned not wanting to let CSAA know what your 'actual' annual mileage is; be very careful on that front. If you were to get into a nasty accident, and make a significant claim, they are going to find out your mileage and ... potentially ... claim that your insurance is invalid. I suspect you could plead ignorance and get away with it on a minor claim but, if the stakes were high enough, mis-representing the facts on your application could be grounds for loss of coverage.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Maintenance/Wear

That just about covers everything Pops...anything that goes wrong will come under 'normal wear and tear'.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike
These two articles talk about which cars are more, and less, reliable. If your car has a good predicted reliability, don't worry about it. If your car is predicted to be less reliable, worry a bit more. But even if your car is at the bottom of the lists, I'd guess that an extended warranty is not worth it.

http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerrepor...used_cars.html

http://www.auto-broker-magic.com/used-car-ratings.html

Also - you mentioned not wanting to let CSAA know what your 'actual' annual mileage is; be very careful on that front. If you were to get into a nasty accident, and make a significant claim, they are going to find out your mileage and ... potentially ... claim that your insurance is invalid. I suspect you could plead ignorance and get away with it on a minor claim but, if the stakes were high enough, mis-representing the facts on your application could be grounds for loss of coverage.
Are but I didn't at the time I filed the application
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Are but I didn't at the time I filed the application
I know what you are saying, and I did the same myself when I changed jobs from a 2 mile commute to an 80 mile commute, but I got a call from them around renewal time and they asked me if my 'driving' situation had changed; I toyed with the idea of not telling them but decided it was not worth the risk. Again, if you get into a multi-car accident with injuries, lawsuits, and such - the kinds of thing you really need insurance for - they can look at the mileage and claim you withheld info. I bet there is small print somewhere that says you are under an obligation to inform them of changes ....

Anyway - good luck and happy driving!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I meant what is the most expensive part that would have to be replaced
Exactly what car are we talking about? Particular combinations of make/model/year could have known failure modes. You mentioned Ford/Mercury... you could be looking at transmission failure between 80 and 100K miles.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Exactly what car are we talking about? Particular combinations of make/model/year could have known failure modes. You mentioned Ford/Mercury... you could be looking at transmission failure between 80 and 100K miles.
Mercury Milan 08.

I will have the Corvette before I do that many miles lol
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mercury Milan 08.

I will have the Corvette before I do that many miles lol
Well, normally I'd chastise you for buying a mercury (from a reliability perspective) but - one of the articles I linked to above said this: "We see the American manufacturers making strides in this area. Also having some positives to share is Consumer Reports, who recently reported in its 2006 Annual Car Reliability Survey that the Fusion and Milan outscored the Honda Accord V6 and Toyota Camry V6 in predicted reliability. "

If there is one automotive fact of life, it is that the Accord and Camry are legendary in terms of reliability, so this is fair praise indeed!

You may want to look into the reliability of the Corvette