Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Extended car warranty!!

Extended car warranty!!

Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:36 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extended car warranty!!

My car has 35,000 on the clock its an 08 model and I need to extend the warranty as I have decided to keep it another year.

Do I have to go through the dealership or the manufacturer, or can I find an independent company, I think I will go for the 100,000 warranty.

Any suggestions please I am with AAA but I am not going to ask them as they will know how many miles I have done lol.

Edit the original warranty expires at 36,000 bumper to bumper.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Nov 17th 2008 at 10:39 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extended car warranty!!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
My car has 35,000 on the clock its an 08 model and I need to extend the warranty as I have decided to keep it another year.

Do I have to go through the dealership or the manufacturer, or can I find an independent company, I think I will go for the 100,000 warranty.

Any suggestions please I am with AAA but I am not going to ask them as they will know how many miles I have done lol.

I personally do not buy warranty's except in very unusual circumstances.

If the car has been trouble free so far odds on that it will be, until the waranty runs out.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know you could buy an extended warranty after the initial purchase date.

BTW, the car I drive is a 2002 model and it has a little over 40,000 miles on it.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Read this first ...

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/warranties/articles/
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:48 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I didn't know you could buy an extended warranty after the initial purchase date.

BTW, the car I drive is a 2002 model and it has a little over 40,000 miles on it.
Yes it can be done I have already called Mercury/Ford but I want to shop around before for a deal.

I drive NC for a living all over Northern Cali I average about 700 miles a week.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

According to Dh, my car mechanic/boat mechanic Guru.
Don't buy after market warranties, they are not worth the paper they are written on, buy one from the actual manufacturer if you get one at all.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

AAA one isn't to bad, though don't you have to use one of their repair places to get a fix?

Don't know how useful they are though, the first tranny flush should be covered under warranty and you shouldn't have anything major done to it like any of the belts going boo till you flog it, in which case it's someone elses ball ache.

If the breaks, ball joints or anything else is a bit flakey on the under side of 65-90K I'd not bother with the motor...
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
According to Dh, my car mechanic/boat mechanic Guru.
Don't buy after market warranties, they are not worth the paper they are written on, buy one from the actual manufacturer if you get one at all.
Yes after having a read from the link Ray added I think it might be through the dealership, and I found a couple of questions that I omitted to ask them as well which I just read about.

I was going to sell it but in this economic climate at the moment its not going to sell unless I advertise in San Francisco and then its a hassle for folk to view.... I am a bit peeved I was going to buy a Corvette looks like that will have to go on hold for a while bummer
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
AAA one isn't to bad, though don't you have to use one of their repair places to get a fix?

Don't know how useful they are though, the first tranny flush should be covered under warranty and you shouldn't have anything major done to it like any of the belts going boo till you flog it, in which case it's someone elses ball ache.

If the breaks, ball joints or anything else is a bit flakey on the under side of 65-90K I'd not bother with the motor...
She is spanking hot lol, full service history and check ups everything is like new....except I have lost 3 windshields this year,(1st JAN 08) and how lucky was this I smashed it about a month ago there was a crack acrossed the screen I have coverage with AAA so it would only be $50, but I just did not get around to it and last week smash again yep 2 cracks in a month, so pleased I had not used my AAA yet or I would of had to pay for the 2nd windshield.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:45 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Doubt an extended warranty would be worth it. What Boiler said.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
I personally do not buy warranty's except in very unusual circumstances.

If the car has been trouble free so far odds on that it will be, until the waranty runs out.
Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Doubt an extended warranty would be worth it. What Boiler said.
But I will probably put another 35,000 on there in the next 12 months, whats the worst that could happen.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

But I will probably put another 35,000 on there in the next 12 months, whats the worst that could happen.
Well the worst that could happen is that you could get struck by a meteorite ...

But what is actually likely to happen is either "nothing" or "nothing covered by the extended warranty".
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by md95065
Well the worst that could happen is that you could get struck by a meteorite ...

But what is actually likely to happen is either "nothing" or "nothing covered by the extended warranty".
I meant what is the most expensive part that would have to be replaced
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:31 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I meant what is the most expensive part that would have to be replaced
Providing you follow the service schedule, and keep good records, anything really expensive is likely to be:

(a) covered by the manufacturer out of the kindness of their hearts (after you have spent some time and effort beating kindness into their hearts)

(b) a recall issue, and covered

(c) caused by a wear-and-tear component that won't be covered by anyone, but would likely be caught during a service/inspection prior to any real damage occurring.

Of course, shit does happen. But in general you'll spend more money buying warranties for all your goods and services, than you would fixing any problems that come up.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Providing you follow the service schedule, and keep good records, anything really expensive is likely to be:

(a) covered by the manufacturer out of the kindness of their hearts (after you have spent some time and effort beating kindness into their hearts)

(b) a recall issue, and covered

(c) caused by a wear-and-tear component that won't be covered by anyone, but would likely be caught during a service/inspection prior to any real damage occurring.

Of course, shit does happen. But in general you'll spend more money buying warranties for all your goods and services, than you would fixing any problems that come up.

Righto cheers looks like general opinion is not to bother getting it

Exactly the answer I wanted Adobe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.