Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Explanation of the Primaries please.

Explanation of the Primaries please.

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Explanation of the Primaries please.

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Yes I went there. Thus the nick.
My son is in his 2nd year at UGA, he went to New Orleans for the big game. I watched the game until half time, in the hope of seeing him on TV. Not by choice my boss at home said I had to.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:25 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuzanneMaria
But I'm a Yank who married a Brit, Silly Sod. I've been here almost eight years, and have made next to no friends because a) I'm a freelance editor who works from home and never meets anyone, and b) my husband is a complete introvert and probably wouldn't mind living the rest of his life in a cave. It's killed me, because in eight years, I've turned from this outgoing, wide social network woman into someone completely reliant on her husband for company.
I have been here a year and a half and haven't made any friends. The family don't get my sense of humour, nor do most americans and it is something I have come to rely heavily on over the years. Without that side of my personality I start to feel pretty isolated. Hence my love for BE. There are no real pubs and when I do go to 'bars' all I get is a repeat of the inane questions I have been asked for a year now - do you know the queen, is america better than britain, is england in london, do you really not have coffee over there, do you drink a lot of tea etc etc.

So, my only source of company is my wonderful wife and nine year old step daughter, whom I spend most of my time with as wife works and I am house husband. Drives you nuts sometimes and can be depressing, to be all alone in a foreign culture. I feel for ya. Try getting a non freelance job, get in an office, meet a load of brits who will get you plastered off your face ever friday the minute work lets out until about 2am and maybe that will help. Either that or take the rest of the advice from well wishers tomorrow about joining a book club, or a knitting circle. Though after 8 years I am guessing you have been there and done that?

OR..............stick around BE. We have all been there and most of us are okay really, when you get to know us. For me: start again. Hi Suzanna. Welcome to BE. You are gonna love girl!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:27 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
My son is in his 2nd year at UGA, he went to New Orleans for the big game. I watched the game until half time, in the hope of seeing him on TV. Not by choice my boss at home said I had to.
Reg. Frank R.
YOU are awesome! We kicked them in the tail during that game. I'm a proud Georgia Dawg right now. What degree is your son studying for?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:30 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

See page 1. Now back to the thread hijack in progress.....

This is way more fun. But as lip service to the thread I think this may help anyone who cares enough to have gotten this far through our hour of bored bullshit lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7049207.stm

Now, long live the hijack!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

YOU are awesome! We kicked them in the tail during that game. I'm a proud Georgia Dawg right now. What degree is your son studying for?
Game was a bit one sided. Felt a bit sorry for the other team.

Son, is half way through second year & will be applying to the business school. Whats that saying "The most undecided major is undecided", something like that.
He loves the school & doing well there.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:36 pm
Bugger Off!

I.m off. Tomorrow kids
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:38 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
I.m off. Tomorrow kids

Make your ****ing mind up............. oh and good luck
Obama's not that bad
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, thats the way a lot of companies seem to play it. Lots of the lower paid, get to work before voting begins & then work late/ot, makes it difficult for them to vote. Maybe no transport?Reg. Frank R.
That was part of the problem, no parking at the place to vote, and no exceptions made for the amount of time or end time of voting, despite the massive snow storms just before hand, so even if you did brave it, it wasn't very safe to do so.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As an American living in Britain, I can honestly tell you that the Bill Clinton days were some of the best in American history (and I'm 42). As much as Brits love to take the piss out of Americans for voting Bush into office not once, but twice, they have to realize how close both elections were, and how Bush has only a 29 percent (max) approval rating these days. In other words, both the American people and the president know he f--ked up by attacking Iraq. So please give Americans some credit: We're not all uneducated, NRA card-carrying, rude and obnoxious gits. In fact, if you think about it, the U.S. tends to lead the world scientifically, medically, etc. (Sorry, just felt a need to defend my country.)
Aye, but in jest, on the same token, half the countries vote did put him back in

And welcome to BE
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
That was part of the problem, no parking at the place to vote, and no exceptions made for the amount of time or end time of voting, despite the massive snow storms just before hand, so even if you did brave it, it wasn't very safe to do so.
Yep, the system sure is broke. Does not look like the powers that be want to fix it. "One person one vote", if you can get through the maze, before they close the door. Even if you get there, never sure your vote will be correctly counted.
Can't wait for the next fiasco.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

How is the United States behind India (would you like a mint, or perhaps a nice curry?)? People jump on the U.S. about its carbon emissions, but conveniently overlook India and China, for fear of appearing prejudiced. It's always okay to kick the United States, without looking at the actual facts.
The difference is, money. This country can afford to improve things over emerging nations but does not send the trend, so why should a poorer nation follow suit? Plus we should be shipping out our old technology over there as we replace new technology to help those nations out. Also per capita, we are far worse than if you look at per population

If Vegas shut the lights down a night a month, it would save a hell of a lot, or they could go solar, those mirrors in the dessert would be massive. Same with nuclear. It's just more expensive to replace the infrastructure, which is a shame.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I know you guys love running my country down. You do it out of love I'm sure. Just remember who invented the internet and the cell phone.
Internet wasn't much use without the interweb, Berniers was a Brit
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

....Your closest ally, the U.K., goes into Afghanistan with you (and you get the feeling that you're supposed to be SOOO greatful, as if World Wars I and II never happened, and the U.S. didn't change the course of those....
Begging, but I won't, I'm sure Rushman will though, but don't mind him
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

SillySod, I'm sorry about your experience, but it's been my experience in Britain that if an autumn leaf has the AUDACITY to fall on a rail line, everything will come to a screeching halt.
Amuses me that too...but then it's the same in Mass...heaven forbid that it's cold and there might be snow on the tracks
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Suzanne, this is the BRITISH EXPATS site, not the USA Expat site.
Reg.
There is the Yankee UK sites, but they tend to censor out all the fun stuff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.