Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:59 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
That's a good point. I have to say that many people who commit such crimes probably aren't capable of thinking 10 seconds into the future so they prob don't realise what they're letting themselves in for.
That said, I'm not trying to justify the dp, just explain the reasoning behind it. If you let a significant proportion of the people sentanced to death off then there's no point in having it as a punishment.
Whether its justifiable to have it as a punishment in the first place is another matter entirely.
I think you hit the nail on the head there, at the moment the crime is commited, people arent thinking of the possible retribution.. its the cold light of day when they suddenly develop the 'oh sh*t' factor!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:01 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
I think you hit the nail on the head there, at the moment the crime is commited, people arent thinking of the possible retribution.. its the cold light of day when they suddenly develop the 'oh sh*t' factor!
So I guess then that with the death penalty society is trying to force people to stop and think before they act, and as most people can't/don't do that you need to bloody great big stop sign to get them to take heed.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:03 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

The bible is a bit like statistics, you can use it to prove what you want. Having never looked at it outside school, I had to dig a little! Here's some apt quotes:

Exodus 21:23-25 -- If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Leviticus 24:19-20 -- Anyone who maims another shall suffer the same injury in return: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; the injury inflicted is the injury to be suffered.

Deuteronomy 19:21 -- Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the commentary on the NO violence after hurricane Katrina referred to these types of people living day-to-day or hour-to-hour; they would rob someone just to buy one meal.

Its a completely different way of thinking to mainstream society.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
The bible is a bit like statistics, you can use it to prove what you want. Having never looked at it outside school, I had to dig a little! Here's some apt quotes:

Exodus 21:23-25 -- If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Leviticus 24:19-20 -- Anyone who maims another shall suffer the same injury in return: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; the injury inflicted is the injury to be suffered.

Deuteronomy 19:21 -- Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.
So really we should shoot him in the back from point blank range and dance over his body.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:05 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
these types of people
Err, you're on very thin ice here - be extremely careful :scared:
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:06 am
Thinking about it

So really we should shoot him in the back from point blank range and dance over his body.
I have to admit that this made me laugh
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Err, you're on very thin ice here - be extremely careful :scared:
Yes perhaps I should clarify - I meant gang members etc....

Like the one that shot the entertainment exec who lived next door to our friend from TN.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:07 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I think killing four freakin' people might be a little more than poor impulse control.

I'm not for the death penalty, but it is the law and he was convicted. He's also a very manupulative person (as others have pointed out) who's never accepted culpability for his crimes. NPR (for one) has been portraying him as some kind of saint and he's far, far from it.

Stand-by for:
1. people blaming the Governator for "killing" Tookie
2. people playing the race card
3. Europeans tut-tutting at the barbaric Americans (haw!)
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:08 am

Dont get out of your pram mate (I've been waiting to say that for so long in the US) . I was making a reference to our Christian society and how the Bible texts can be selected to show anything, thats all. No opinions of mine expressed in that particular post.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Dont get out of your pram mate (I've been waiting to say that for so long in the US) . I was making a reference to our Christian society and how the Bible texts can be selected to show anything, thats all. No opinions of mine expressed in that particular post.
I wasn't really adressing you, just responding to the phrases you posted - they reminded me of the open letter on abortion (?) that was posted last week.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:11 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Yes perhaps I should clarify - I meant gang members etc....

Like the one that shot the entertainment exec who lived next door to our friend from TN.
Yes

I am so over thuggish behaviour

I just read an article on 'Young buck' (member of 50 cents G-unit) who is a nashville native

this guy is a complete f**king thug

ex-drug dealer and has a bunch of dodgy incidents to his name. I think he should be in prison, as aside from the issues he is directly involved in, his music poisons the minds of kids
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:13 am

I wasn't really adressing you, just responding to the phrases you posted - they reminded me of the open letter on abortion (?) that was posted last week.

mkay, DM
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:16 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Yes

I am so over thuggish behaviour

I just read an article on 'Young buck' (member of 50 cents G-unit) who is a nashville native

this guy is a complete f**king thug

ex-drug dealer and has a bunch of dodgy incidents to his name. I think he should be in prison, as aside from the issues he is directly involved in, his music poisons the minds of kids
Before you read this please note that is in no way a comment on your neighbour (i know he worked in theindustry), but if you have a problem with this rapper you need to look at the grubby little b*st*rds in suits behind the scenes who have decided that this lifestyle sells well. Without the backing of record companies these guys will just sink back into the swamp from whence they came.
I always find it amusing how especially in the US people are very good at distancing themselves from the various nasty ways that they make their cash.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:17 am

Before you read this please note that is in no way a comment on your neighbour (i know he worked in theindustry), but if you have a problem with this rapper you need to look at the grubby little b*st*rds in suits behind the scenes who have decided that this lifestyle sells well. Without the backing of record companies these guys will just sink back into the swamp from whence they came.
I always find it amusing how especially in the US people are very good at distancing themselves from the various nasty ways that they make their cash.

Thats because they go to church every sunday and their sins are washed away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.