Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exchanging UK driving license

Exchanging UK driving license

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging UK driving license

Originally Posted by WJS

It looks as if me and my husband will have to take the test so perhaps it isn't even necessary to show the UK license. Having said that I would think we wouldn't be returning to the UK but was just curious why someone said not give it to anyone if asked. Wasn't sure if this could be an option with authorities.
It's handy to show it because it usually means you don't have to go through all the new driver requirements of x hours of classes, getting the drivers permit and holding it for y period and all that kind of rubbish. You can just go do the theory and then the drivers test. Does depend on the state though.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:36 pm
Banned

uktoyank is an unknown quantity at this point

This site for NJ DMV says no need to hand your foreign license in exchange

state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/LicensesNon-Citizens.htm
Old Jun 24th 2015, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I hear that if you are missing your front teeth, Alabama automatically issues a driver's license.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:50 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Pretty sure Colorado does not.
Here ya go!
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Illegals can get licenses, but not swap them.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:54 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I hear that if you are missing your front teeth, Alabama automatically issues a driver's license.

Have been away for a few days and just returned this afternoon. Thank you for all the useful information. Bob hopefully I won't have to take the test but will take my UK license to show if needed.

Petitefrancaise, thank you so much for posting that information, I never thought to look at the French embassy site. Sadly it is bad news in regards to a reciprocating arrangement but because of you at least now I know!

It is worrying what you said about the photo card here in France. I have spoken to the insurance company and it isn't a problem with them. In fact I even had them email this statement to me to be sure. But she did say it wasn't a problem for them in regards to the photo card expiring but she said she couldn't say how the police here would view it.

I will have to weigh it up and depending on how much longer we will be staying here perhaps it is worth the hassle to switch over before moving to the US. Can I ask how it affected you?

Thank you again for taking the time to post that information for me.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I had no choice about swtiching my UK license for a french one - stopped by gendarmes for routine inspection and when I couldn't produce photocard, they issued me with a notice to get a french one asap.

Went along to the prefecture with what I thought was all the right documents but it turned out that I needed an attestation from DVLC showing what categories I was allowed to drive. DVLC were great and provided it in French! So, I went back with that and all the other bits of paper and they did a straight swap at the prefecture, license came through in a week or so.

It was super easy for me here, just ssn, proof of address, visa in passport and french license. Swapped over - ie they took my french license from me. However, if I go back to the UK, I will have to take my test again I think. That's rubbish!!
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
...... However, if I go back to the UK, I will have to take my test again I think. That's rubbish!!
I am fairly certain you can reapply to have you UK licence reissued without a new road test, and I am certain that is the case if you return to the UK to live l within the validity of your original (most recent) UK licence, which was (is?) your 70th birthday.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:13 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am fairly certain you can reapply to have you UK licence reissued without a new road test, and I am certain that is the case if you return to the UK to live l within the validity of your original (most recent) UK licence, which was (is?) your 70th birthday.
thank god for that. My ability to parallel park has not improved over the years!