Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exchanging UK driving license

Exchanging UK driving license

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 2:11 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exchanging UK driving license

After a search on the forum I read on an old thread that is now closed for some reason to not turn over your UK license when applying for a US driving license. He/she went on to say do not do this no matter what American asks you to do so.

Can anyone explain why this person said this? Have most of you held onto your old UK license when applying for your US one?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 2:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging UK driving license

You are not able (except in NJ) to swap a UK licence for a US state license, they are just taking it from you.

If you return to live in the UK it is still valid (assuming it is within the validity printed on the licence), so saving the cost and inconvenience of having the licence reissued.

I retained mine.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most States do not want it, a few in the East I think ask, just do not take it with you.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:34 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are not able (except in NJ) to swap a UK licence for a US state license, they are just taking it from you.

If you return to live in the UK it is still valid (assuming it is within the validity printed on the licence), so saving the cost and inconvenience of having the licence reissued.

I retained mine.

Thank you Pulaski, I will try to keep it if I can. My photo on my photo card has expired, living here in France it isn't possible to update so DVLA is sending me a certificate of entitlement so hopefully whenever we are able to arrive in the US this won't be a problem.

It looks as if me and my husband will have to take the test so perhaps it isn't even necessary to show the UK license. Having said that I would think we wouldn't be returning to the UK but was just curious why someone said not give it to anyone if asked. Wasn't sure if this could be an option with authorities.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:35 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Thanks Boiler, we won't take them. I am surprised that they don't ask for it.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Thank you Pulaski, I will try to keep it if I can. My photo on my photo card has expired, living here in France it isn't possible to update so DVLA is sending me a certificate of entitlement so hopefully whenever we are able to arrive in the US this won't be a problem.

It looks as if me and my husband will have to take the test so perhaps it isn't even necessary to show the UK license. Having said that I would think we wouldn't be returning to the UK but was just curious why someone said not give it to anyone if asked. Wasn't sure if this could be an option with authorities.
Hang on, do you guys not have French licenses? Some states will actually swap French licenses directly for US ones without a test.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
...... It looks as if me and my husband will have to take the "test" .....
FIFY

It would be funnier if passing the "test" didn't immediately qualify you to hurtle down the road at 80mph or more with no regard for fellow road users and nearby pedestrians.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:03 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Pulaski.

Sir_eccles, we don't have French driving licenses, we have just kept our UK ones which is ok to do here. If I knew it would be much easier when we arrived in the US we would turn our UK license in for a French one. We would definitely have to turn them in here though.

It is a little bit of a hassle here but do you know if it would be a lot easier in the US if we did this?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

DLs are State issues.

Would make no difference in CO.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Pulaski.

Sir_eccles, we don't have French driving licenses, we have just kept our UK ones which is ok to do here. If I knew it would be much easier when we arrived in the US we would turn our UK license in for a French one. We would definitely have to turn them in here though.

It is a little bit of a hassle here but do you know if it would be a lot easier in the US if we did this?
As Pulaski says, the test is usually so laughably easy it as near as makes no difference. The only "trick" for experienced drivers is to remember to drive properly e.g. properly come to a stop before the line at stop signs count to three then proceed. A quick review of the manual on the dmv website is usually enough to pass the computer test.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 5:04 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Thank you. I just phoned the DVL in Alabama and because I had a license there MOONS ago I don't have to test! However, my husband does. I asked if there was a reciprocal agreement between France and Alabama and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about. She just said my husband would have to test.

I searched but can't find anywhere that shows which US states reciprocate with which country. Does anyone know of a particular site which shows the reciprocal agreements for driving licenses?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I retained mine.
You can't do a straight swap for a NJ DL...if that's what you meant...a multiple question test must be taken. AFAIK they just take it from you.

FWIW I refused to hand my UK DL over to the NJ DMV.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can't do a straight swap for a NJ DL...if that's what you meant...a multiple question test must be taken. .....
Badly worded. I meant avoiding a road test in exchange for a licence.

FWIW We had to answer a few questions on road sign recognition when we swapped VA licenses for NC ones.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:26 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

WJS, you can't swap a french license for an Alabama one. From the french embassy website here is the list of states which do permit a direct swap :
- Caroline du Sud
- Colorado
- Connecticut
- Delaware
- Floride
- Illinois (seulement si l’on a un numéro de sécurité sociale américain)
- Kansas
- Kentucky
- Maryland
- New Hampshire
- Ohio
- Pennsylvanie
- Virginie
- Virginie Occidentale

They don't list Texas, which is a bit strange....I have checked the alabama website and can see nothing about an exchange for france.

Here is a link to the documents you will need to get a license in Alabama.
State of Alabama Law Enforcement Agency

BTW As I found out to my cost in France - not having the photocard part of your license essentially means you have no license. The photocard lists the vehicle classes you are entitled to drive, the paper format doesn't.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jun 23rd 2015 at 1:28 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Pretty sure Colorado does not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.