Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate - £ into $...

Exchange rate - £ into $...

Old Nov 29th 2003, 11:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie ..... The last time I recall the rate being £1 = $2 was around 1991 and I can vaguely remember it being on a parity. ....
The £/$ rate topped out at about $1.90/£ in the early 90's, and never dropped below $1.04/£ at the low point, which was in 1987, I think.
Originally posted by bromleygirl
..... I'm in the U.S., getting divorced and moving back to the UK with what I thought would be enough for a down payment for a house. ......
I'm not sure where you are heading to, but I'd be surprised if you will be buying a "house" with $75k worth of sterling plus three times your salary.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 29th 2003 at 11:17 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 12:14 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
The £/$ rate topped out at about $1.90/£ in the early 90's, and never dropped below $1.04/£ at the low point, which was in 1987, I think.
Thanks Pulaski. For my sake I hope it stays high for a very long time, or at least til the UK converts to the Euro.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 4:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
.... or at least til the UK converts to the Euro.
If you'd kept abreast of the political climate in the UK you would know that neither party is now in the slightest bit interested in joining the Euro, and mutterings from Europe (Germany I think) are that the rest of europe "should be more like Britain"!
Old Nov 30th 2003, 4:56 am
JeanDupont

It has gone a bit quiet in UK about implementing the euro recently but when did the wishes of the electorate or of the MP's affect Blair's determination to do anything?
If he gets in again I'll bet he'd go for it.

At least the pound/euro seems to have stabilized for the moment - more than anyone can say for the greenback.

Europe is getting to be very expensive for dollar tourists now.

Still at least Sibsie will get a good rate for her euros when she sells her home in Spain.

Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:29 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski I do keep abreast of things in the UK but I still think that Sterling to Euro conversion is an eventuality. Germany is an economic nightmare at the moment and has been for a couple of years.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

well darn !! I'm off home to blighty next week for a few days with my family, looks like my spendies will be a bit on the low side.

*sigh*

Jan
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Historic rates

Don't know if anyone has posted this site before, but if you are interested in historic trends, see:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/EXUSUK.txt

- only monthy trends, but interesting nevertheless.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

weiser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Historic rates

Thanx for posting that dunroving, that's very interesting, havn't come across it before!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 6:40 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Exchange rate - £ into $...

Originally posted by Duncs
HA right again. It broke £1 = $1.70 today and down from here it goes. i can see it holding this a while longer and making it to $1.75 but dont risk your money on my guesses. Alternatively if it drops back then this is probably the high point so take it if you can.

regards,

Duncan
Todays price $1.755 looks like i was right. I would reckon on continuing decline and a price of $1.80 looks possible maybe even lower. The structural weakness is still there and it will need a lot of correction to change the picture.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 16th 2003, 6:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Todays price $1.755 looks like i was right. I would reckon on continuing decline and a price of $1.80 looks possible maybe even lower. The structural weakness is still there and it will need a lot of correction to change the picture.

regards,

Duncan
I have a cunning plan to circumvent the issues of a weak Dollar versus a strong Pound.

I kept a UK checking/current account open since I moved to the US. I will be withdrawing cash from this account with my UK debit card and so won't loose out on both the exchange rate, commission and charges that would be applied if I used a Visa card.

Also, a while back, someone posted to say that Barclays has an agreement with Bank of America so that Barclays customers using their Barclays debit card to withdraw cash from a Bank of America ATM do NOT get charged fees.

I just withdrew some cash (as a test) doing just that. I'll shortly find out if this is really true.

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Dec 17th 2003 at 4:44 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

regards,

Duncan

Woohoo, things are definitely looking up! Maybe this will last until we exchange money in January!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Do you think with the capture of Saddam that the dollar might strengthen? I am planning to exchange pounds to dollars & the rate is very good but I won't be exchanging until feb 2004 so was wondering if that might have some affect to the poumd VS dollar
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by weiser
Do you think with the capture of Saddam that the dollar might strengthen? I am planning to exchange pounds to dollars & the rate is very good but I won't be exchanging until feb 2004 so was wondering if that might have some affect to the poumd VS dollar
I'm worried a bit about that as well. Would be interested to know the same answer.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:34 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by weiser
Today its at $1.765 so i wouldnt bet on it. Even if it did it would be a sentiment only minor blip. The dollar is falling because the economic fundementals say it must fall. They wont correct for a while and so it will keep trending down. It may fluctuate but it will be a constant downward trend. I reckon by Jan Feb next year it could easily be below $1.80 and the rate its going now $2 is not impossible in the future.

Word of warning i am not a professional money analyst so dont think this is special advice. But i have an interest in economics and i read a lot. So these are my best guesses.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

thanx Duncs, that makes me alittle happier now. So in your opinion the dollar is on a downward trend for how long? anything longer than 2-3months is good in my books :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.