Reload this Page >

Ex-pat in the USA and Pensions

Ex-pat in the USA and Pensions

Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:10 am
Just Joined

msollicito is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ex-pat in the USA and Pensions

Can anyone help me with this?
I was born in the UK and lived there 30 years until 10 years ago I moved to New Zealand. I returned to the UK after two years, and talked to the powers that be, and they told me I could have my state pension contributions made in New Zealand transferred to my UK pension "account" so then I had 12 years of contributions to the UK pension scheme.
I made one more year of contributions and then I moved to the US. Since then all my earnings have contributed to their social security system.
I am wondering, is there any way I can have these contributions paid back into my UK pension "account" too?
If so, can I do that only if I move back to the UK or can I do this on a continual basis while I live in the US?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex-pat in the USA and Pensions

Originally Posted by msollicito
Can anyone help me with this?
I was born in the UK and lived there 30 years until 10 years ago I moved to New Zealand. I returned to the UK after two years, and talked to the powers that be, and they told me I could have my state pension contributions made in New Zealand transferred to my UK pension "account" so then I had 12 years of contributions to the UK pension scheme.
I made one more year of contributions and then I moved to the US. Since then all my earnings have contributed to their social security system.
I am wondering, is there any way I can have these contributions paid back into my UK pension "account" too?
If so, can I do that only if I move back to the UK or can I do this on a continual basis while I live in the US?
No but you will be able to collect from both. Thefollowing is the totalization agreement between the US and UK governments.

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agr...phlets/uk.html
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The US/UK totalization agreement allows you to use contributions in one country to qualify for benefits in the other country if you don't have enough contributions to qualify. But they are not used in calculating the size of the pension.

But there is an easy way to maximize your contributions to both systems. As a US resident you'll be contribution to US SS and as a UK citizen expat you'll probably be able to make voluntary Class 2 NI contributions.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And Class 2 contributions are really inexpensive. 2.65 GBP per week. You need to write to HMRC to apply.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:15 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds as if the OP's contributions currently qualify him/her for 13/30ths of the UK pension and that they need to work for a couple of more years to reach the 10 years of contributions to qualify for US SS.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
... and that they need to work for a couple of more years to reach the 10 years of contributions to qualify for US SS.
Yes, as I understand it, ten years is crucial. But it does NOT have to be ten consecutive years.

Last edited by holly_1948; Jan 13th 2013 at 6:38 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Yes, as I understand it, ten years is crucial. But it does have to be ten consecutive years.
I don't think the ten years need to be consecutive. I believe the only qualifications for SS retirement benefit are that you've attained the age of 62 and have forty work credits (you can earn a maximum of four per year.)
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I don't think the ten years need to be consecutive. I believe the only qualifications for SS retirement benefit are that you've attained the age of 62 and have forty work credits (you can earn a maximum of four per year.)
You are right, sorry about my typo. At least 40 credits total.

Sorry if this means the OP will need to delay repatriation for a year or two so as not to lose very roughly 8000 quid a year retirement pension. On top of UK pension.

US Social security is good about responding if one writes to them to ask about the the contribution record status (number of credits).