US Taxes

Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

willocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond repute
Smile US Taxes

Hi EVERYONE!

I moved to the US on an L1-B visa on the 14th June 2012. I've been researching information on doing my taxes and just wanted to double check the information.

I went on the IRS website and took a series of questions and as I've been in the country over 183 days, I'm considered to have 'dual status' for 2012.

Would I be able to go to H&R Block or a similar company and get them to do the taxes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails US Taxes-screenshot_2013-01-13-09-10-38.png  
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

davidsizer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Taxes

Hi, firstly welcome to the USA

I came over on a L1B also. The dual tax is bit of a headache and I would highly recommend you use a special international tax adviser. There are huge differences between UK & US taxes, especially as you straddle each accounting years. Which means the US will tax you, and the UK will want a slice to. But due to the double taxation rule agreement between USA & UK, you can claim back the UK taxes. There are lots of other complexities such as where you are been paid, what benefits your company provided as part of the relo etc. The US IRS wants to know every aspect of your financial commitments - even back in the UK. All of that has to be declared.

In my opinion H&R wouldnt have the expertise. Nor would any home software. Looked at them all and none jumped out.

As part of my relocation package my company paid for 2 years of professional tax provision (PwC). Even with those experts my tax return preparation took them weeks.
Perhaps you could ask your company for assistance? After all they did relocate you for work. If this doesnt work out, some UK friends use an Accountant based in the South (location doesnt seem to matter as they mostly work over email). Let me know and i can pass on their details.

Good luck,
David
Old Jan 13th 2013, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

willocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond reputewillocraig has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information David! I really appreciate your help. I'm not sure whether my company will help me with this, but I'm certainly going to find out.

If not, I'll contact the accountant you mentioned and go from there.
Thanks again,
Philip
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

davidsizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willocraig
Thanks for the information David! I really appreciate your help. I'm not sure whether my company will help me with this, but I'm certainly going to find out.

If not, I'll contact the accountant you mentioned and go from there.
Thanks again,
Philip
No problem. really they should offer some sort of tax assistance, at least the first year. Otherwise, give me a shout and i'll get the accountant details.

thanks
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsizer
No problem. really they should offer some sort of tax assistance, at least the first year.
One of the big things to negotiate in the relocation package, also for the final year if repatriating.

Once you're over here, it's a big expense for them not to be interested in though.

There are quite a lot of threads on the subject though, so might find some answers in those.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Hi EVERYONE!

I moved to the US on an L1-B visa on the 14th June 2012. I've been researching information on doing my taxes and just wanted to double check the information.

I went on the IRS website and took a series of questions and as I've been in the country over 183 days, I'm considered to have 'dual status' for 2012.

Would I be able to go to H&R Block or a similar company and get them to do the taxes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Which questions did you answer on the IRS website? I found the interactive assistant but it doesn't seem to have 2012 as an option.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I would not go the H&R Block or similar 'mass production' tax service - they may be good at 'routine' tax situations but can be weak with unusual situations such as yours.

I would interview several tax accountants or tax attornies to be sure they are familiar with your situation and then select one of them. The fee will be more expensive, but your tax return is far more likely to be done right and they may save you more money than the extra fee costs.

Regards, JEff

Old Jan 14th 2013, 5:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I would not go the H&R Block or similar 'mass production' tax service - they may be good at 'routine' tax situations but can be weak with unusual situations such as yours.
Indeed, because H&R sell themselves as tax pre-parers and not accountants, so there's very minimal tax background required or training needed to work for them.

That isn't to say that they are all rubbish, but chances are, certainly unless you can get someone senior, the likelihood is you'll not get great quality of care.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Excellent advise guys! I really appreciate you helping me out with this.

I've started looking into Tax Accountants in my local area and i'll make sure they are the right people to help me with my 'interresting' situation : )

captainsensible, I am looking for the link I used. I'll post it ASAP
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Golden Rules for choosing a tax preparer:

1. QUALIFICATIONS
Do not be shy! Ask if they are members of professional bodies in both the US and UK and if so, which ones and for how long.

2. COST
Ask what they charge!

3. COMFORT
Pick one who is dual US/UK qualified and who you feel you can get on with. This is personal choice so call a few firms before deciding...