Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA/VWP Query

ESTA/VWP Query

Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

jonathan1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA/VWP Query

Hi guys, I'm sure many of you will recognise me from a post a few days ago.

My query this time being, are two month visits in summer common? Also how common is taking four visits a year to the us ?

Finally, what is the purpose of the VWP? Is the purpose of the VWP how i am using it, such as 3/4 visits a year, each of which are relatively short?

Thanks, and guys i do apologise if i do get annoying, its just great to have such a wealth of knowledge at my disposal.

Thanks again

Daniel
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA/VWP Query

Originally Posted by jonathan1234
Hi guys, I'm sure many of you will recognise me from a post a few days ago.

My query this time being, are two month visits in summer common? Also how common is taking four visits a year to the us ?

Finally, what is the purpose of the VWP? Is the purpose of the VWP how i am using it, such as 3/4 visits a year, each of which are relatively short?

Thanks, and guys i do apologise if i do get annoying, its just great to have such a wealth of knowledge at my disposal.

Thanks again

Daniel
Stay is for no longer than 90 days at a time, 90 days, NOT 3 months. It's generall reckoned not to stay the full 90 days, but leave after say 88 days, this allows for any delays in flights and ensures you don't overstay.
It's also better to spend longer out of the country before visiting again, no hard and fast rules here, but trips too close together might cause questioning at the POE. If you visit is for say 14 days, then another a month later might well be OK, but remember it's up to the border people to decide whether to let you in or not, or send you for secondary questioning. Long visits often cause some worry as they may well wonder just how you are supporting yourself while there, and it's not many people who can get that sort of time off work (especially given the very small holiday entitlement most Americans get), and they may wonder if you will be doing any sort of work while there.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, I'm sure many of you will recognise me from a post a few days ago. ....
Yes.
.... My query this time being, are two month visits in summer common? Also how common is taking four visits a year to the us? .....
Fairly common, lots of students and "back packers" do it. Sorry, your plans are not exceptional and likely of little or no interest to USCIS.
..... Finally, ....
Is that a promise? ETA, per below, I see you lied. I suggest you don't do that to the immigration officer!
.... what is the purpose of the VWP? Is the purpose of the VWP how i am using it, such as 3/4 visits a year, each of which are relatively short? ....
Short visits, whether occasional or frequent, by individuals coming to the US for business (meetings) or pleasure, who present a low risk of causing a problem ([i]i.e.]/i] are not criminals or drug users), from countries with a low risk of its citizens overstaying in the US. It doesn't much matter how often you use the VWP, so long as (i) you leave no more than 90 days after you arrive and (ii) you generally spend more time outside the US than in the US.
.... Thanks, and guys i do apologise if i do get annoying, its just great to have such a wealth of knowledge at my disposal.

Thanks again .....
You're welcome, but please don't abuse our good nature and helpfulness!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2014 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

jonathan1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Basically, since july 2012, I've worked (since leaving high school) and travelled to the us, 4 times a year.

2012/13

July, September, December, March, June

2013/14

September, December, March

2014/15

July (the next trip)

No trip has been over 5 weeks, however this coming trip is for 2 months.

I will however be starting University in September, so i will definitely be returning home.

Can the initial POE officer deny you outright or is everyone who is suspected by him/her given a secondary inspection?

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The initial POE officer can send you back if he wants to. Or he can refer you to secondary. Or he can let you in with no comments.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. Basically, since july 2012, I've worked (since leaving high school) and travelled to the us, 4 times a year.

2012/13

July, September, December, March, June

2013/14

September, December, March

2014/15

July (the next trip)

No trip has been over 5 weeks, however this coming trip is for 2 months.

I will however be starting University in September, so i will definitely be returning home. ...
You told us that already, in detail!
.... Can the initial POE officer deny you outright or is everyone who is suspected by him/her given a secondary inspection?
Can he? Yes, absolutely! Will he, in your case? That's impossible to say, but I believe that there is very little chance that you'll even be sent to secondary, much less sent home directly. That you've repeatedly arrived, and then LEFT again is, IMO a significant plus, as compared to someone who is arriving for the first visit to the US with a planned two month stay.

Now please, as Ian-stms already told you, please büggër off and stop worrying. ..... OK, he didn't tell you to "büggër off", I added that bit.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2014 at 9:53 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 12:30 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

You asked what is the purpose of the vwp.

My understanding is it is to reduce the administrative burden on the immigration dept, by not requiring a visa for squeaky clean individuals from certain squeaky clean countries. It is not in place to allow specific patterns of activity, but there are set limits as to what is allowable.

Your pattern falls within allowable, but does not guarantee it will be allowed.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:36 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Many reasons -- one it is an effort to promote TOURISM to the US. Also, reciprocity enters into it -- many countries, such as the UK, do not require visas of US visitors. In fact, when US law required visas, no if ands or buts -- UK people would be issued, get this, "multiple entry, indefinite" B-2 visas. [Those visa were later amended by operation of law to expire 10 years after issuance. No such visas remain valid.]