Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Equivalent of P45...?

Equivalent of P45...?

Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

cgcgcg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Equivalent of P45...?

When you leave a job in USA, do you get any kind of documentation after you finish?
I was wondering if you get your W2 back, like when you get your P45 back in the UK.
Thanks.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equivalent of P45...?

Originally Posted by cgcgcg
When you leave a job in USA, do you get any kind of documentation after you finish?
I was wondering if you get your W2 back, like when you get your P45 back in the UK.
Thanks.
They'll send you a W2, but at the end of the tax year (in January usually,) not when you leave.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

cgcgcg is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotcha. I'll have to keep a note in my diary to look out for it 'cos I'm bound to forget by then )

Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
By law all employers should send you a W-2 by the end of January. If you didn't receive it (probably due to a move), you should contact your ex-employer. You then file your US taxes by April 15th and you will either get a refund or pay additional taxes. If you worked in the US for part of the year, you will most likely get a refund but only if you file the tax return. If the state you worked in also has an income tax, you should also file state taxes for the refund.

If you get the W-2, use something like Turbo tax to file your taxes.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha. I'll have to keep a note in my diary to look out for it 'cos I'm bound to forget by then )

Thanks for the info.
You won't forget, because anywhere you've worked will send you one too for your taxes, unless your self employed.

Definitely let them know if you move though...but if they go tits up, then I don't know what you do, certainly wouldn't make it easy that's for sure