entrapment

Old Jun 12th 2003, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

debs36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default entrapment

Hi - new to the forum (go easy on me for Today!)

I have been watching a programme on BBC1 (UK) about a day at Miami airport (usual tv).

I was quite stunned at how the police work in the US-basically they stuffed a carrier bag with some money and fake ID and left the bag beside a payphone, awaiting for someone, anyone to come along the take it and then see if they hand it in to the authorities.

Well along comes a guy uses the phone, peeks in the bag and takes it and suddenly they are all over him (the police that is) cause he wasnt going to hand it in- Oh no he leaving with the MONEY! swine!!!!basically they arrested him with Grand theft, took him to jail for the night with a court hearing for the next day.

The informed him that is wasnt "finders keepers day" at the airport- and they do this setup as they are fed up with people stealing.

I Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this type of policing or heard any simular tales.........................

I remember losing my hand bag once it wasnt nice !!! i felt lost without it- but this seems a bit mean to me!!!

Debs
Old Jun 12th 2003, 11:43 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: entrapment

Hi Debs,
I am an ex cop from London and can confirm that similar situations happen in the UK.
The reasons are:

1 - Finding property and not taking steps to return it is theft. (This includes removing items from a trash can or skip).

2 - Usually those who are likely to keep the property are of a criminal mind and as such often have outstanding warrants.

3 - The tactics can be used as crime prevention methods when details are circulated throughout the community.

4 - Word soon travels through the local crimainl community and crime normally falls as criminals cannot tell if the mobile phone sitting on the seat of a car is some poor victims or a police sting.

I know it seems unfair the tactic but if you are an honest person what do you have to worry about.

Hope that helps a little.

Gary
Old Jun 13th 2003, 2:11 am
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Scotch, but I'd add that you don't want somebody helping themselves to bags in an airport. I would assume that such a person had gone there with the intention of removing as many bags as they could get away with.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 7:13 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pulaski
I agree with Scotch, but I'd add that you don't want somebody helping themselves to bags in an airport. I would assume that such a person had gone there with the intention of removing as many bags as they could get away with.

Coming from the British side with all the 'troubles' we've had over the years with the IRA, if I saw an abandoned bag the first thing I'd do is call Security just in case it's a bomb.

Am I paranoid or is this what most 'honest' people travelling through an airport would assume?

Emm.

PS the absolute LAST thing I would do is go and poke my nose into the bag!!!