Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English food items in the USA

English food items in the USA

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: English food items in the USA

Did you try the British shop attached to The Kings Head in Santa Monica.

A useless piece of information, but the Kings Head is half-owned by my ex-wifes brother, David Bryan, and I think one of his daughters runs that and the pub/restaurant, I know one of his daughters (Lisa I think) is married to an American

Last edited by rogerpenycate; Feb 9th 2005 at 4:42 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Really Bob? There must be somewhere mate! Pretty pleased we found those beans down here, as much as I like the all american breakfast, I've always thought they were missing beans My missus, despite living in Europe with me, still thinks its stupid, mind...but at least she does like proper Brit tea
naaa....haven't seen any heinz beans around anywhere in the state, can order it online, but that's expensive and don't miss it that much...
It's all that pork in maple syrup, which ain't bad, I like it, but not the same on toast is it
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:42 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
Did you try the British shop attached to The Kings Head in Santa Monica.

A useless piece of information, but the Kings Head is half-owned by my ex-wifes brother, David Bryan, and I think one of his daughters runs that and the pub/restaurant, I know one of his daughters (Lisa I think) is married to an American
Kewl. I've been there myself. Really expensive but lots of good stuff. The pub next door is fun too. No smoking which feels really weird but the food is really good. Typical English pub fayre, authentic.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:45 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Aaaaaaahhh - proper bacon!!! Haven't had that for a while - anyone know whether I can get it in CA?

All I can get here is the nasty greasy streaky stuff. I mean, what do they DO with the back part of the rasher? Or are American pigs different?
Hey DE. I've wondered that too. I'm in LA, whereabouts are you?

You've reminded me to start looking again. I'm going to give Bristol Farms a try. It's a small 'high end' market here. Besides that I can get it occasionally at the British store here in town. But it's the cheap UK corner shop version (the sort you buy from the local shop on sunday morning because you've got a hangover and can't be arsed to drive to the nearest Sainsbury's) and it's frozen and hugely expensive for the quality.

I'll let you know what else I find out.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually a fan of American bacon, its pretty tasty stuff Bad for you, no doubt but tasty nonetheless. And I like those sausage patty things
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Kewl. I've been there myself. Really expensive but lots of good stuff. The pub next door is fun too. No smoking which feels really weird but the food is really good. Typical English pub fayre, authentic.

I seem to remember him once saying that they have some quiet famous bands in their doing their "warm ups' before a tour.
Supposedly Oasis played there once, but I'm not sure
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I'm actually a fan of American bacon, its pretty tasty stuff Bad for you, no doubt but tasty nonetheless. And I like those sausage patty things
yeah, rashers aren't bad, but it's nice to have proper bacon now and again though, especially in a sarnie
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:26 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
I seem to remember him once saying that they have some quiet famous bands in their doing their "warm ups' before a tour.
Supposedly Oasis played there once, but I'm not sure
Probably true. On the walls in the bar they have hundreds of pics of 'celebrities' that have been there. I seem to think I remember Oasis being one of them. Along with Sylvester Stallone, but where HASN'T he been?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:28 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, rashers aren't bad, but it's nice to have proper bacon now and again though, especially in a sarnie
Yes, I like American bacon too, just miss the Brit version.

In fact I eat that ready bacon that you can microwave. That's a strange product.

But did you know you can microwave regular American bacon and it comes out crispy!! Thats great!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
But did you know you can microwave regular American bacon and it comes out crispy!! Thats great!
yeah i know, pretty handy that,a couple mins on a pile of kitchen paper...loads of fat which is nasty afterwards though
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:15 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Oh dont' go to taste of Britain in Norcross, GA. They are SOOOO expensive.... You have at least 3 choices in the Atlanta/Norcross/Duluth local area :-

1. Harrys Farmers Market up by satellite. Buy a case of beans (24) and they give you 10% off. It's about $1.10 or so a can. They get more and more Brit stuff in each year. They have more now than Norcross.
2. Harry (his name) runs a shop (I don't know name) next to an Inidan Restaurant called Clay Oven. Harry is more British than American or Indian. He has a load of British stuff and dirt cheap. He will even try to order stuff in if he can. Clay Oven is listed on-line but it's on Abbotts Bridge (120) about 200 yards east of Peachtree Industrial.
3. Lastly, I go to Norcross if I'm desperate but it truly is nearly twice as expensive as the other 2.

Also, Harrys Farmers Market sell fresh IRISH Bangers (yummy). They do great bacon cuts, not quite back but close. They also do tons of British beers in Cans or Bottles. They also do all the sweets and chocolate you could eat. Walkers Crisps, jammy dodgers, flakes, ripples, sherbet dib/dabs - tea bags
and jars of jam and Inidan Cooking sauces and brown sauce and branston and picallile and and and and - I could go on

Don't forget the Harp by 400 and Holcombe Bridge. Pub Grub includes an Irish Breakfast, Shepards pie, fish and chips and bangers (Irish) and mash to name just a few.....

Sorry to make ya'll jealous but I hope it helps the atlantans who don't know this...

I live in Duluth.

Last edited by franc111s; Feb 9th 2005 at 9:25 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sibsie
Union Jack in Peabody Mass is pretty good. They have a large selection and a big freezer full of English sausages, cornish pasties etc.,

I prefer Boston Baked Beans to Heinz so didn't get any but a tin of Heinz cream of tomato soup set me back $1.99. I had no option though, try as I might I just can't stand American tomato soup.
Try the new Campbells 'Tomato Bisque', it's much more like the tomato soup we are used to.

Paint.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:40 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
. a tin of Heinz cream of tomato soup set me back $1.99. I had no option though, try as I might I just can't stand American tomato soup.

I found a tin of Campbells cream of tomato over here was quite nice, strange colour though.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Thydney
I found a tin of Campbells cream of tomato over here was quite nice, strange colour though.
We tried this too - but now my local Safeways has stopped stocking it and I can't find it anywhere else. I think it may have been taken off the market. It was OK - but you are right, very strange colour!

Paint.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:08 am
Just Joined

fuzzylogic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Aaaaaaahhh - proper bacon!!! Haven't had that for a while - anyone know whether I can get it in CA?

All I can get here is the nasty greasy streaky stuff. I mean, what do they DO with the back part of the rasher? Or are American pigs different?
A great place to get bacon or sausages in CA is the Irish Import Shop in Hollwood on Vine St. The stuff is imported from Ireland and i can gurantee is very tasty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.