Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English food items in the USA

Wikiposts

English food items in the USA

Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:24 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: English food items in the USA

Originally Posted by redlobster
Oh Wow Izibear, thank you.
I know where some of those places are.
We have only been here 10 weeks.lol
Redlobster
No problemo

If you're looking for a small selection of British goodies, try

Bridget's British Shop
8820 North Himes Avenue, Tampa, FL 33614
(813) 933-6257

or

Britan's British & South African Groceries
3861 Northdale Blvd, Tampa, FL 33624
(813) 968-5373

There are also bunches of Indian grocers all over town, one particular opposite University Mall on Fowler, is called Apna Bazaar and has quite a selection of British goods...PG tips, chocolates..etc..at better prices than the above.

Many of the Publix stores in the Sarasota area also have quite a selection of British goods in their ethnic section.

How are you enjoying it so far?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:03 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sibsie
It's fab isn't it. I even got Sherbet Fountains this week.
I got the last big bar of Galaxy, Fruit Gums, Fruit Pastilles, White Chocolate and PROPER BACON!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:23 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
I got the last big bar of Galaxy,
I hope you realise that Galaxy was what I specifically drove all the way from Cape Ann for! I had to settle for about 10 Snow Flakes, 15 Ripples, a box of Malteasers and 3 Crunchies.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:11 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sibsie
I hope you realise that Galaxy was what I specifically drove all the way from Cape Ann for! I had to settle for about 10 Snow Flakes, 15 Ripples, a box of Malteasers and 3 Crunchies.
Awww....

There's one in Salem that claims to be a British Food Shop too, I haven't checked it out yet.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:54 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen the one in Salem but I love the shopping there in general. If you ever have to go to the SSN place, it's in a pretty good shopping mall.

Good luck in our next storm. The news said another 20" on the way. :scared:
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

My local Stop and Shop has an international isle. They have a British section which has Heinz salad cream, Heinz tomato soup, marmite, Hobnobs etc.
Irish shops are also worth visiting for British food items and there seem to be more of them in New England at least.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:10 am
Just Joined

mross2514 is an unknown quantity at this point

Noticed someone out there from Fort Myers. We are in Naples and have heard therre is a good Indian restaurant in Fort Myers, do you know where it is and what it is called.

The british pub in Bonita is a good eating place.

Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:54 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mross2514
Noticed someone out there from Fort Myers. We are in Naples and have heard therre is a good Indian restaurant in Fort Myers, do you know where it is and what it is called.

The british pub in Bonita is a good eating place.

Thanks
There is one on Bonita Beach Road called "Passage to India". It is small and a little cramped but the food is very good and the decor is ok. They sell Kingfisher beer.

There is another on US41 in Fort Myers called "India Palace". It is larger and a bit sterile but again the food is good. The address is 11605 S Cleveland Ave # 20. You will find it at the back of Dragon Plaza which is just south of Page Field (General Aviation).

As regards stores, there is a very cute little Indian Grocery at Bank Street which is just north of Page Field on the west side of US41 on the edge of Sam's Plaza next to Bill Smith. Their frozen Samosas are great.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:13 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
I got the last big bar of Galaxy, Fruit Gums, Fruit Pastilles, White Chocolate and PROPER BACON!
Aaaaaaahhh - proper bacon!!! Haven't had that for a while - anyone know whether I can get it in CA?

All I can get here is the nasty greasy streaky stuff. I mean, what do they DO with the back part of the rasher? Or are American pigs different?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:17 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Aaaaaaahhh - proper bacon!!! Haven't had that for a while - anyone know whether I can get it in CA?

Did you try the British shop attached to The Kings Head in Santa Monica?

All I can get here is the nasty greasy streaky stuff. I mean, what do they DO with the back part of the rasher? Or are American pigs different?
I would LOVE to know the answer to that question as well!!!

Good luck
Rob
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
If you are ever in Canada, stock up on what they call Back Bacon (preferably from a small butchers or farmers market), as that is what we are used to. Canada (for those close to the border) is a great place to get biscuits, cheese, meat (although not allowed to bring beef over) and chocolate - especially the duty free shops who have the big 500g bars of real British Cadbury Dairy Milk, Whole Nut, Fruit & Nut etc.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:25 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who's in the Albuquerque area: The Talin Market on Central at Louisiana carries a lot of British stuff (as well as other parts of the world).

And for British booze in the Santa Fe area: The Liquor Barn on Cerillos at Clark, and Kokoman's on the Pojoaque reservation. They even have British beer that I've never seen at home, but you won't find too many lagers.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Feb 9th 2005 at 3:56 am.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
No problemo

If you're looking for a small selection of British goodies, try

Bridget's British Shop
8820 North Himes Avenue, Tampa, FL 33614
(813) 933-6257

or

Britan's British & South African Groceries
3861 Northdale Blvd, Tampa, FL 33624
(813) 968-5373

There are also bunches of Indian grocers all over town, one particular opposite University Mall on Fowler, is called Apna Bazaar and has quite a selection of British goods...PG tips, chocolates..etc..at better prices than the above.

Many of the Publix stores in the Sarasota area also have quite a selection of British goods in their ethnic section.

How are you enjoying it so far?
The Publix on Bruce B Downs in New Tampa also has a small selection of English stuff like decent teabags (PG Tips, Tetley etc), beans and HP sauce, chocolate and what have you.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Heinz baked beans...I'm jealous...can't get 'em here...

but booze, speckled hen $1.65 a 12oz bottle
a proper pinted sized can of fosters $2
Boddingtons, $1.50 a can

80 pack pg tips $6...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Heinz baked beans...I'm jealous...can't get 'em here...

but booze, speckled hen $1.65 a 12oz bottle
a proper pinted sized can of fosters $2
Boddingtons, $1.50 a can

80 pack pg tips $6...

Really Bob? There must be somewhere mate! Pretty pleased we found those beans down here, as much as I like the all american breakfast, I've always thought they were missing beans My missus, despite living in Europe with me, still thinks its stupid, mind...but at least she does like proper Brit tea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.