Reload this Page >

End of Tax Year Help

End of Tax Year Help

Old Oct 20th 2018, 1:14 am
Just Joined

zfisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default End of Tax Year Help

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice?

I moved to Orlando, FL in February 2018 having received an intra-company transfer with my company. My husband has only just received his EAD last weekend. Someone in Payroll at work mentioned that I need to be aware that I have to file taxes in the UK. Why would that be, I would've thought it was all done automatically? I understand I need to file taxes here come January-March but I didn't realise that I would need to worry about what was going on back in the UK.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 20th 2018, 7:24 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

tbm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: End of Tax Year Help

You could probably just submit a P86 to let HMRC know you moved away. You might get a refund since you left during the tax year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tax-right-p85

A more complicated answer would involve SRT and split year treatment but based on what you said a P86 might be sufficient. However, it also depends on how long you'll be away.

Someone in Payroll at work mentioned that I need to be aware that I have to file taxes in the UK.
Did they say why? How long are you in the US for?