Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any W8-BEN experts here?

Any W8-BEN experts here?

Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:25 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any W8-BEN experts here?

Hi,

Lived in the US for 10-odd years, last three or so with a Green Card (H1B before that).

Left to come back to the UK a couple of years ago, paid final year taxes, sent Green Card back via i-407 form etc.

I have some bank savings still in the US (as well as a 401K I am many years away from drawing upon).

The savings generate a little bit of interest that just accumulates. I haven't brought them back as didn't need to and was awaiting possible Fx changes around Brexit, so using them as a hedge to some extent.

As a non-resident who has a bank account in the US, do I need to complete a W8BEN and do I need to file a tax return each year just for a small amount of bank interest?

Thanks in advance for any input, figured the question was better here than the MBTTUK forum, perhaps from someone who lives in the UK with a holiday home in the US.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 8:00 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

tbm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any W8-BEN experts here?

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like W-8BEN is the right form.