Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The end of freedom toast!

The end of freedom toast!

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute
Default The end of freedom toast!

NPR today aired this segment "Capitol Food.... French gains on Freedom"

Now that the French are working with the US and UK on peace talks for Lebanon and Israel, its okay for you all to call your fries and your toast French again

according to the article the Capitol Hill cafeteria changed the menu back over night and the freedom is no more.

Ironic that French toast was named after a New Yorker that created the recipe (surname French) and the French fry created by the Belgium's! (or should that be Flemish?)

Only in America ....................... If they were all serious about it they should have taken them off the menu all together! "Freedom" or "French" its still the same on your plate and in yer belly!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:14 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of freedom toast!

Originally Posted by Tbag
the French fry created by the Belgium's! (or should that be Flemish?)
Neither, they're Belgians.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Neither, they're Belgians.
Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

I was always amused to find that they don't have blue cheese but bleu cheese, and of course the classic entree for a main course despite the fact it actually should be a starter, and that many words actually have a french pronounciation such as a filet of steak or rather filay of steak.
Made the whole anti french freedom fries thing all the funnier I thought
Still don't understand the bleu cheese thing, but then cheese or rather what is loosely termed "cheese" in america is a whole subject of discussion unto itself

Originally Posted by Tbag
Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by angelman
I was always amused to find that they don't have blue cheese but bleu cheese, and of course the classic entree for a main course despite the fact it actually should be a starter, and that many words actually have a french pronounciation such as a filet of steak or rather filay of steak.
Made the whole anti french freedom fries thing all the funnier I thought
Still don't understand the bleu cheese thing, but then cheese or rather what is loosely termed "cheese" in america is a whole subject of discussion unto itself
Agree with all of the above The only cheese that comes close to acceptable for me is the Cabot's Vermont seriously sharp Cheddar. it almost taste like a regular Cheddar, I refer to most American cheese as "plastic cheese"
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Cracker Barrel extra sharp is like a 'mild cheddar', not too bad.

and of course the classic entree for a main course despite the fact it actually should be a starter,
This one threw me for a loop for at least a year when we first arrived.