Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exercise Equipment

Exercise Equipment

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:16 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold
Default Exercise Equipment

Well since moving over to the USA I am sure I have put on a chunk of weight thanks to all the crappy food that is around. So now I have decided to finally get around to doing something about it.......... first thing is to cut out as much of said crappy food, and second thing is to get rid of some weight.

So does anyone have any experience with these type of things Equipment 1 or Equipment 2

I have no idea if the above are any good, but they don't cost a fortune and both stow fairly easily. So are they any good? I am not looking to build up a huge bunch of muscles, just want to lose the spare tyre that is forming around my mid section and improve overall fitness.

Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:21 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exercise Equipment

Originally Posted by nai_in_av
Well since moving over to the USA I am sure I have put on a chunk of weight thanks to all the crappy food that is around. So now I have decided to finally get around to doing something about it.......... first thing is to cut out as much of said crappy food, and second thing is to get rid of some weight.

So does anyone have any experience with these type of things Equipment 1 or Equipment 2

I have no idea if the above are any good, but they don't cost a fortune and both stow fairly easily. So are they any good? I am not looking to build up a huge bunch of muscles, just want to lose the spare tyre that is forming around my mid section and improve overall fitness.

Thanks.
If you have any weaknesses in your ankles, knees or hips I wouldnt recommend the Gazelle. I had one in the UK and couldnt use it as it put too much stress on those areas. Havent tried the other so no opinion or experience there. Good luck with the get fit drive.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:22 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
"YOU CAN DO ITTTT" sorry couldn't resist
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I cant comment on the wall-mart products however Equipment 1 looks like an elliptical (not sure of spelling) which I have heard is a better workout than running on a treadmill. I have used a similar machine at my gym and it is very enjoyable to use because you feel like your running but it has no impact on your joints.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Know how ya feel - I put crap loads on.

My experience of home gym stuff was that they end up in the garage covered in cobwebs after a month or so. I went and joined LA Fitness, I find the only may I can keep at something is to not get bored by them and they've got a HUGE range of machines etc in there. Lost 20lbs in a little over a month now
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
we have the gazelle cross trainer and it's a good low-impact aerobic workout and resistance training machine...gives you a good upper and lower body workout for strength training and muscle toning...adequate for us, just got to be disciplined to use it
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:58 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm knackered reading all this......
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
"YOU CAN DO ITTTT" sorry couldn't resist
Weird, I never pictured you bald with a ponytail.....

Best exercise is walking or swimming. Can't beat those two. Or join a kickboxing class. Man, that kicks er....bum.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Weird, I never pictured you bald with a ponytail.....

Best exercise is walking or swimming. Can't beat those two. Or join a kickboxing class. Man, that kicks er....bum.
swimming is excellent...i swim early most mornings..great exercise along with aqua robics
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very wary of that very cheap stuff. If you are serious about fitness you'll have to spend substantially more. If you just want fairly gentle exercise, I'd forgoe this $100 stuff altogether and swim, walk, jog or ride a bike.

That said, I have got a smiliar piece to your item number 2, bit more expensive, but very sturdy, comparable quality to the high end Total Gym that Chuck Norris advertises but more than 1/2 less of that, its here:

http://www.total-trainer.com/dlx3.html

It's very sturdy, and you can get a good workout, if you need to its easily put awayable. That Walmart one looks flimsy, seen it out and about, I wouldn't trust the thing to last.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using the walmart gazelle and the walmart bike ($88) and so far I've lost 20lb in 3 weeks... working well for me

btw - I got rid of our $500 bike because it was just WAY too bulky and hard to move.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by USBound
I'm using the walmart gazelle and the walmart bike ($88) and so far I've lost 20lb in 3 weeks... working well for me

btw - I got rid of our $500 bike because it was just WAY too bulky and hard to move.
guess your bike wasn't titanium then as they're light as a feather. our gazelle cross trainer was about $300 2 yrs ago...the walmart one sounds ok to start off with..well done on the weight loss, sure creeps on easily
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:45 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ladylisa]Equipment 1 looks like an elliptical (not sure of spelling) which I have heard is a better workout than running on a treadmill. QUOTE]

are you sure? I got my wife one for xmas and its done here bu99er all good....7 months on and she hasn't lost a single pound, or tightened any abs or glutes....i keep telling her it may work better if she gets it out of the box, but then she says she wouldn't be able to tell whether the car was close enough to the end wall of the garage.................
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Yorkieabroad]
Originally Posted by ladylisa
Equipment 1 looks like an elliptical (not sure of spelling) which I have heard is a better workout than running on a treadmill. QUOTE]

are you sure? I got my wife one for xmas and its done here bu99er all good....7 months on and she hasn't lost a single pound, or tightened any abs or glutes....i keep telling her it may work better if she gets it out of the box, but then she says she wouldn't be able to tell whether the car was close enough to the end wall of the garage.................
haha i like it
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound

Well done, but you can never go back to putting what ever you fancy in your mouth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.