Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment status when first entering the USA

Employment status when first entering the USA

Old Mar 28th 2002, 1:56 am
Just Joined

welshman has a brilliant futurewelshman has a brilliant futurewelshman has a brilliant futurewelshman has a brilliant futurewelshman has a brilliant futurewelshman has a brilliant future
Default Employment status when first entering the USA

Sorry, I'm sure this is a silly question, but please grant me sme patience. I am planning to apply for a fiancee visa with my partner who is a US citizen (I am UK citizen). We currently live in Australia. When we first arrive in the US on the fiancee visa, can I work? Does the potential employer need to carry out any form of sponsorship, or does the fiancee visa give me the right to work without sponsirship.

Thanks

Welshman
Old Mar 28th 2002, 10:35 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Employment status when first entering the USA

welshman wrote:
    > Sorry, I'm sure this is a silly question, but please grant me sme patience. I am
    > planning to apply for a fiancee visa with my partner who is a US citizen (I am UK
    > citizen). We currently live in Australia. When we first arrive in the US on the
    > fiancee visa, can I work? Does the potential employer need to carry out any form of
    > sponsorship, or does the fiancee visa give me the right to work without
    > sponsirship.
    >
My advice: marry now while you are in australia. File an I-130 directly at the
consulate at sydney or Perth. You will be in the US faster than a fiance visa, and
you will be a resident upon arrival. all you will hvae to do to work is get a social
security number. find more info on the doc steen site in the "DCF:which visa"
section. You will have to obtain a police certificate from the Uk, and the sooner you
get started on that the better. Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Mar 28th 2002, 12:35 pm
Simon Jessey

<When we first arrive in the US on the fiancee visa, can I work?>

You are entitled to work, but you will need an Employment Authorization Document
first. Employers are supposed to check if you have one. You can apply for one when
you apply for an Adjustment Of Status - something you must do immediately after
getting married.

The time it takes varies. At Philadelphia, it took me 50 days from the application.
Some places will give it to you on the day. The atrocities of September 11th 2001
have resulted in greater scrutiny of EAD requests.

Simon Jessey

See my timeline and get K1 / AOS info at my website:- http://jessey.net/visa

Old Mar 29th 2002, 2:35 pm
Charles

welshman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sorry, I'm sure this is a silly question, but please grant me sme patience. I am
    > planning to apply for a fiancee visa with my partner who is a US citizen (I am UK
    > citizen). We currently live in Australia. When we first arrive in the US on the
    > fiancee visa, can I work? Does the potential employer need to carry out any form of
    > sponsorship, or does the fiancee visa give me the right to work without
    > sponsirship.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Welshman

The answer to this question is yes. I just found a website and there is a memo there
for SSO about work authrization and K1 visa's Effective date OCT 2001 The memo says
that the issuence of a K1 visa gives that person work authurization regardless of INS
EOD stamp or not.

Old Mar 30th 2002, 2:35 am
gabyp

What web site was that and is the same true of K-3??

Thanks

On 29 Mar 2002 07:03:20 -0800, [email protected] (Charles) wrote:

>welshman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Sorry, I'm sure this is a silly question, but please grant me sme patience. I am
    >> planning to apply for a fiancee visa with my partner who is a US citizen (I am UK
    >> citizen). We currently live in Australia. When we first arrive in the US on the
    >> fiancee visa, can I work? Does the potential employer need to carry out any form
    >> of sponsorship, or does the fiancee visa give me the right to work without
    >> sponsirship.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Welshman
    >
    >
    >The answer to this question is yes. I just found a website and there is a memo there
    >for SSO about work authrization and K1 visa's Effective date OCT 2001 The memo says
    >that the issuence of a K1 visa gives that person work authurization regardless of
    >INS EOD stamp or not.