Reload this Page >

employment opportunities/ contacts

employment opportunities/ contacts

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

smokey65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default employment opportunities/ contacts

Hi All
Im looking for a new start and an adventure of starting a new life abroad with my family, the the wife is aware of this and is onboard.
I am currently a crew manager with Leicestershire fire service, I am a fully qualified firefighter including breathing apparatus wearer. incident commander fire engine driver and also the station workplace trainer of emergency trauma care.
Has anyone any employment contacts for me or any other info i would be very grateful. It doesnt have to be a firefighter position as i have skills that are transferable.

Thankyou in advance
smokey
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: employment opportunities/ contacts

Originally Posted by smokey65
Hi All
Im looking for a new start and an adventure of starting a new life abroad with my family, the the wife is aware of this and is onboard.
I am currently a crew manager with Leicestershire fire service, I am a fully qualified firefighter including breathing apparatus wearer. incident commander fire engine driver and also the station workplace trainer of emergency trauma care.
Has anyone any employment contacts for me or any other info i would be very grateful. It doesnt have to be a firefighter position as i have skills that are transferable.

Thankyou in advance
smokey
To work in the USA please read this carefully, and see if you qualify for any visa.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:09 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

From what you've put, it's very unlikely you'll get an employment based visa.

The simply truth is that for most people all they will ever do is visit the US a tourist - despite its reputation, the U.S. is one of the most difficult countries in the world to get a visa to live and work.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
From what you've put, it's very unlikely you'll get an employment based visa.

The simply truth is that for most people all they will ever do is visit the US a tourist - despite its reputation, the U.S. is one of the most difficult countries in the world to get a visa to live and work.
OP seems desparate as he has started multiple threads on most cpuntry specific forums, and not for the first time.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

got to have your eyes open to all opportunities that may arise no matter where in the world they may be.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for advice
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 11:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

got to have your eyes open to all opportunities that may arise no matter where in the world they may be.
Isn't it better to decide which countries you'd qualify for a visa for (as you've discovered, the U.S. isn't an option) and then narrow it down by deciding where you think would be suitable for your family from those that you can actually move to?

For most countries, you'll need a job offer to get a visa, and probably need to go over and job hunt in person to stand any chance, so I think you need to focus on one country (and possibly even province/state) and then take it from there.

Good luck.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 11:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thankyou in advance
smokey
In addition to what christmasoompa has said, a career as a firefighter won't get you in to many countries - such as Australia - as there are enough domestic candidates to fill the positions. If you could get into Australia by another route - perhaps your wife has skills in demand? - then you could apply once here, but thats all.

Does your wife have skills that could help?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

grotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud of

I have to agree with others here.... While being a fire fighter is a very noble and community oriented profession there are many qualified candidates in most countries already and that would be your struggle. In the USA a firefighter is something that many kids want to do when they get older, meaning that there are often a lot more candidates for each open position than jobs that are available. In fact cities, counties and states here in the USA have been laying off (making redundant) positions like these so the competition is very strong. What does your family as a whole have to offer? As others have asked, what does your wife do? It is almost the same situation as silicon valley and tech jobs, there are many many people that are already here in the USA that are looking for jobs in the bay area. The bay area already has a surplus of people with the skill sets required which means that companies do not, for the most part, need to import these skills.

Last edited by grotster; Feb 22nd 2015 at 3:11 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In addition to what christmasoompa has said, a career as a firefighter won't get you in to many countries - such as Australia - as there are enough domestic candidates to fill the positions. If you could get into Australia by another route - perhaps your wife has skills in demand? - then you could apply once here, but thats all.

Does your wife have skills that could help?
+1, ditto for Canada, no chance of a job offer (and therefore visa) as a firefighter, but hopefully his wife has skills that may be more in demand.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

thanks all xx