Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment Background Checks

Employment Background Checks

Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:41 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment Background Checks

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yep - its like I said earlier - they want to start a relationship with a new employee by screwing them - great way to do business.

It reminds me about a friend of mine. He was sent to an interview by a recruitment agency. At the interview the head man said "I don't trust people who use agencies - they're just after more money". My friend just looked at him and completely deadpan asked "Well, in the case why did you advertise this position through an agency". He then got up and left saying that he'd found enough out about his potential employeer to be able to make his decision.
The statement by the interviewer might have been a test to see how the interviewee could handle an objectionable statement. Apparently, sales people see such statements as an opportunity to close a deal. Handle the objection, make the sale. What is harder is handling the hidden objection, fail to identify it, no sale. Well ... so the theory goes (source: a book I read over a decade ago on the psychology of closing ... a sale).
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:27 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

By law, all that your prior employers are allowed to do is to confirm employment. That includes confirming that you were employed there, the dates of employment and your title. If they follow the straight-and-narrow, they should not even respond to questions that hint at providing a recommendation, as the failure of an employer to do so could make them liable for a slander suit by you, i.e. if you don't get the job because of something your former employer said, they could be in trouble. (And your next employer should know better than to ask, because HR on both sides of the phone know the rules.)

On the other hand, if you were required to complete an application, it probably includes some sort of legalese at the bottom indicating that you are committing that the information is true, and anything falsified can be used as grounds for termination. Having had a criminal record and lying about your past is a good way to be tripped up and fired after the fact, even if you have done good work.

As a practical matter, an employer wants to know what you earn primarily because it can be used as negotiating leverage. The first rule of negotiation is that "he who names the first number loses", because naming that number now establishes a price point that will be difficult to ignore. He also might want to know because he might be concerned if your compensation doesn't match your title or job description -- if you are a "VP of Operations" making $30k per year, including bonus, your grand tales of accomplishment might just become a wee bit suspect...

My suggestion in most instances is to stay vague when discussing your current/most recent compensation, so that it does not become the focal point of the salary negotiations. That's particularly true if it is realistic for you to gain a substantial increase above your current/most recent earnings, or if you don't know what the market will bear for the position. If you must, name a range and leave it at that. If you are asked what you'd like to earn, my response would be to toss back the question, somewhere along the lines of "What expectations do you have in terms of compensation?", so that the employer is the first party to name the number, and you can start bidding things upward.

That means remaining vague on the paperwork as well -- if you were asked to complete an application, I'd put "TBD" (to be discussed) on the line where this data is requested. Just because the form requests the data doesn't mean that you're obliged to tell them. (The use of the written word and form to provide the appearance of legitimacy or "officialness", to coin a phrasae, is actually an old negotiation trick: the need for you to complete an "official" form, document, etc. of the company's choosing is a way for them to gather intelligence on you while not reciprocating in kind. You don't see them providing you with all of their payroll records, do you?)

The possible one exception to this vagueness ploy is if you are earning an extremely high income for your position, and this will have some bearing on the next job. In that case, your very high pay sends the message that you are simply one incredible star in your profession, and that they should be absolutely desperate to toss buckets of money your way if they ever hope to gain your services. That would be a lovely position to be in, but of course, few of us are actually in such a position, so such advice will not apply to most of us.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Mar 11th 2006 at 12:08 am.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of that, but in terms of your previous salary how could they find out ??
Your old employer can't divulge that info as far as i'm aware, is that correct ??

In NYS I believe they can but the firms I've worked for over the years have been upfront about their willingness to verify your past employment and length of years worked but will not tell at what salary. So here it is discretionary.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:22 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of that, but in terms of your previous salary how could they find out ??
Your old employer can't divulge that info as far as i'm aware, is that correct ??
No, hon. They can verify your wages with a previous employer. There is no law against disclosing. Tell the truth.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:06 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
No, hon. They can verify your wages with a previous employer. There is no law against disclosing. Tell the truth.
I'm curious then - what is to stop your employer divulging your name, ssn, telephone number, etc. As far as I'm concerned your salary is confidential data just like the rest.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input - like I said this isn't for me. Whilst I'm currently job-hunting I'm not having much success - this question genuinely is on someone else's behalf.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:58 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

How do you actually work out your current salary if it's your first job in the US? Do you just use the exchange rate on your previous salary or something? Atm I think I could get away with considerably more than a 20% blag on my job cos when people find out how much I earn for what I do they laugh and tell me to quit
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
How do you actually work out your current salary if it's your first job in the US? Do you just use the exchange rate on your previous salary or something? Atm I think I could get away with considerably more than a 20% blag on my job cos when people find out how much I earn for what I do they laugh and tell me to quit
Current market value over here, a little bit of exchange rate, though that doesn't really apply for most places...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:30 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
When I moved i doubled my salary but the recruiter basically laughed at my stated salary range when he worked out how much my old UK salary was in dollars - its a tough one.
He hounded me until I converted my old UK salary into dollars for him and initially seemed to have no concept of how different my old job market was from the US.
If I were you I'd give them a preferred range and keep your UK salary under your hat if at all possible.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Yeah, but in the UK they can't ask your previous employer about your salary.
What about over here, or will the background check they run with the likes of transunion show up your old salaries ??

It is however pretty obvious what you have been paid from your P45...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
It is however pretty obvious what you have been paid from your P45...
but you don't show your P45 over here do you...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm curious then - what is to stop your employer divulging your name, ssn, telephone number, etc. As far as I'm concerned your salary is confidential data just like the rest.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input - like I said this isn't for me. Whilst I'm currently job-hunting I'm not having much success - this question genuinely is on someone else's behalf.

sorry didnt see this yesterday ... we collect degree info, follow EVERY reference up , do the Criminal check and get salary data for the previous two years , I get a little pack from HR usually after the second interview - I have no idea how we do this but the SS# is on the application is they are USC
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:19 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Eskimo
sorry didnt see this yesterday ... we collect degree info, follow EVERY reference up , do the Criminal check and get salary data for the previous two years , I get a little pack from HR usually after the second interview - I have no idea how we do this but the SS# is on the application is they are USC
Does it look like its just frm the interviewee or from a thrid party source in the form of some kind of report ??
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it look like its just frm the interviewee or from a thrid party source in the form of some kind of report ??
Its a printed report attached to interview notes with templates for the references, uni and a yes /no for the criminal report ( I dont see that) - I will try find out what it is
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:28 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Its a printed report attached to interview notes with templates for the references, uni and a yes /no for the criminal report ( I dont see that) - I will try find out what it is
Cheers - its the salary info tht i want to find out about in particular
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

In converting it to the US market, you could pretty much justify whatever number you wanted.

I decided there was no direct comparison.

But by the time you factor in:

35 vs 40 hour work week
Bank Holidays
Normal Holidays
Final Salary Pension
Getting some of my Beer back on expenses
Potential bonus
etc, etc, etc

Then you can be quite creative in the value of your package.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.