Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment Background Checks

Employment Background Checks

Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment Background Checks

Originally Posted by Boiler
In converting it to the US market, you could pretty much justify whatever number you wanted.

I decided there was no direct comparison.

But by the time you factor in:

35 vs 40 hour work week
Bank Holidays
Normal Holidays
Final Salary Pension
Getting some of my Beer back on expenses
Potential bonus
etc, etc, etc

Then you can be quite creative in the value of your package.
And when considering what salary you want, remember to factor in the costs of return flights and phone bills...ie increased expenses.

Just remembered, also if they are only offering 10 days' paid vacation (in your contract) you can negotiate this. eg you may be able to get 10 days paid plus 10 or 15 days unpaid. .....all you need to is ensure that you've increased your salary demands to accommodate this.

For people not currently in the US, try to negotiate the cost of a trip home or the availability of a loan to cover a return flight for the family in specific cases of illness/bereavement......flights can be very expensive if you need to go at v. short notice, and having this option (which u probably would never need) may be helpful
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
but you don't show your P45 over here do you...
I guess I meant that although people in the UK generally exaggerate their previous salary level, you could end up getting yourself in trouble as the information is there on your P45.

You're right, out here you don't show them your P45
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
I guess I meant that although people in the UK generally exaggerate their previous salary level, you could end up getting yourself in trouble as the information is there on your P45.

You're right, out here you don't show them your P45

And you should not EVER need to show a P45 in the UK.....use a P46. You get the same end result whilst maintaining some confidentiality surrounding your finances.

I was a HR Manager for years - always ensured that new joiners were given a P46, then it was their choice. Made no difference to us (the employer). Didnt seem to make any difference to the tax office.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
How do you actually work out your current salary if it's your first job in the US? Do you just use the exchange rate on your previous salary or something? Atm I think I could get away with considerably more than a 20% blag on my job cos when people find out how much I earn for what I do they laugh and tell me to quit

If you are going for a professional position in a mid to large company this shouldn't be an issue. They will have specific salary ranges which will be based on your experience. Also if it is an international company they can always contact their UK counterpart to check out if your UK salary is in the right ballpark.

When I went for my job out here I put down my previous salary as it really was in GBP [including my bonus] and added in that I had a company car. I didn't even do the conversion for them - it changes and anyway it doesn't mean anything because if the ex-rate is 1.5 compared to 1.75 or 1.95 the US cost of living won't change. Then for my expected salary I used what I had been offered for a job in another state that fell through - this time in $.

When I went for interview I was completely up-front and said that I didn't honestly know what the salary levels would be for the position and that I hoped the figure I had put down was reasonable and in line with their bands. It's pretty obvious from your resume it's your first job in the US and your accent kind of gives it away too.

When I got my job offer through, the expected salary I had put down was obvious way-off their salary ranges and they had increased my offer by $14K. My first thought was wow, second thought - are they mad, I would have been more than happy with what I asked for third thought - bugger I must be at the bottom of the salary range.

But, I am completely happy with my salary, my UK salary was 55% of what I make now, and the cost of living out here is cheaper. How can I possibly complain about what I am paid?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
And you should not EVER need to show a P45 in the UK.....use a P46. You get the same end result whilst maintaining some confidentiality surrounding your finances.

I was a HR Manager for years - always ensured that new joiners were given a P46, then it was their choice. Made no difference to us (the employer). Didnt seem to make any difference to the tax office.
Had no idea you could do this...thanks for the tip
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lottie
Had no idea you could do this...thanks for the tip
Welcome
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:57 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Part (the most important part unless you are independantly wealthy and are just working as a hobby) is the salary/benefits package negotiation. If you tell an employer you were earning $100,000 in your previous job but were working 41 hours per week, the average employer will point out that as you will now be working 40 hours per week you will be paid $97,000 or less as you will not be working as long. This is said with a straight face.

You do not need to be honest about how much you earned, you need to be honest about important information ie your qualifications and all other details on a job application form. The "previous" salary questions, if asked, are there merely as a negotiating tool for the potential employer to screw you down lower and NOT as a benchmark to increase your salary. Be vague on this question, be focused on what you want or need, find out how much is paid for this position in the area you live in, find out the national average but dont be persuaded to be honest if your former salary was lower than these averages. Most employers can afford to pay way more for your labour than they want to pay.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Cheers - its the salary info tht i want to find out about in particular

OK.. prospective employers have to sign a confidentiality disclosure agreement and we just call up the last employer.. if they don't then we don't call - no-one ever declines
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:28 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
OK.. prospective employers have to sign a confidentiality disclosure agreement and we just call up the last employer.. if they don't then we don't call - no-one ever declines
So you call up the previous employer and ask them to disclose the employees salary and the release they signed allows the new employer to ask that and the old employer to answer, is that correct ??
F**k that for a game of skittles - cheeky f**kers

Oh, thanks for the info though
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:48 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

So you call up the previous employer and ask them to disclose the employees salary and the release they signed allows the new employer to ask that and the old employer to answer, is that correct ??
F**k that for a game of skittles - cheeky f**kers

Oh, thanks for the info though
You'll be pleased to hear there are no specific questions regarding Goat fondling.. you can relax.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:59 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
You'll be pleased to hear there are no specific questions regarding Goat fondling.. you can relax.
I'll defer to your superior knowledge on the subject of intimacy with livestock, given that you're a welshman and all that
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:43 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

I'll defer to your superior knowledge on the subject of intimacy with livestock, given that you're a welshman and all that
touche.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:51 pm
Thinking about it

touche.
baaa
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:53 pm
strangely floppy..

baaa
You did the accent all wrong.. you've ruined it now.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:55 pm
Thinking about it

You did the accent all wrong.. you've ruined it now.
Sorry
baaa boyo - that's lovely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.