Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emotional support... no specific question.

Emotional support... no specific question.

Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Emotional support... no specific question.

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
I sometimes find that chatting on Skype creates a strange sort of pressure. That probably sounds odd, but what I mean is that when you are physically together you don't necessarily need to keep up a constant stream of conversation - the physical presence and contact is in itself a form of communication. On Skype, on the other hand, you feel like you have to keep coming up with things to say, which isn't always easy when you've just been working all day. So one thing I do is keep a Word file on my computer and as I go through the day and think of things I want to tell my fiance (news, jokes that I think he would enjoy, newspaper articles I've read etc.) I make a note of them. That way when it comes to chatting (or writing an e-mail) I don't forget everything and always have lots of things to talk about. None of them are usually earth shattering, but they are just the little details that keep the communication interesting and make you feel close. I do this on my computer because I am at it working 85% of the day, but for other people a little notebook might be more appropriate.

It does. When my fiance is on dry land and we are talking on Skype at the time when I am going to bed I sometimes make him stay online until I fall asleep. A few times we did try having dinner together over Skype but it wasn't quite the same!

In some ways it is a blessing in disguise not being able to talk at night. In the beginning, before we became adept at handling the distance, we used to have some terrible fights when we talked late at night (for me). I would never want to hang up and go to sleep because I missed him so much, but I would also get more and more grumpy as I got tired and end up picking fights! Since he has moved from the east coast to the west it is easier. We now talk at about 10:30pm his time, which helps me to get up in the mornings!

A new apartment sounds exciting though. Are there things you can do to it decorating-wise to take your mind off the wait?
I definitely like the staying online until I fall asleep thing! Sometimes my fiancé will read to me (which is unbelievably cute), 'cause often I find it hard to fall asleep. I think the connection and the story both help me drift off.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frambuesas
I definitely like the staying online until I fall asleep thing! Sometimes my fiancé will read to me (which is unbelievably cute), 'cause often I find it hard to fall asleep. I think the connection and the story both help me drift off.
Haha, good! After I wrote it I thought maybe it sounded a bit intense!

The 'bedtime story' is a cute idea. I will have to try that one out.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Haha, good! After I wrote it I thought maybe it sounded a bit intense!

The 'bedtime story' is a cute idea. I will have to try that one out.
No, not at all! I think it's lovely.

My fiancé tends to read Harry Potter to me. *is a geek*
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, that definitely makes sense. Because my fiancé was here all summer, I can now see where he "should" be (even though we plan to live in America together), as he's already lived here, stayed in this room, walked into town with me and so on. I miss him a stupid amount. It has been easier since we've had the interview date, though, as we have something more concrete. Do you have any ideas on dates? What stage are you at?

We leave Skype on all the time at our respective houses (connected, I mean). We like to feel like we're in the same room. It's a little sad, especially with the juxtaposition of his having been here for so long and what it's like to really be together, but we've done it for almost a year now (in between times of seeing each other) and I wouldn't be without it. I guess I don't feel the same pressure of having to talk as Apfelkuchen described, as we're always "in the same room" if we're home. I do like the idea of writing specific things down though - great plan.
Totally get you there. I was in tears this week because I was so frustrated that we didn't have his interview date. It is seriously like the light at the end of the tunnel.

And we do the SAME THING with skype. It's on 24/7 unless he's on a train to London. It really does help us feel like we're closer, even though we know we aren't. It just puts his presence right in the room with me even if he's not around. I think maybe the reason we don't feel pressured to create conversation is simply because it's on all the time so we can talk when we need to and not try to cram in a day's worth of information into a few hours.

Oh! Second best part about finally having that interview date is totally having the motivation to clean house again so everything is ready for him to come out here. Now we just have to get through the interview without anything going wrong and life will be grand.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:27 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

While we were apart we would watch movies together. We would download the same movie, and start it at exactly the same time. We would have our webcams running so we could see each other while we watched.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

nica is on a distinguished road

I sometimes find that chatting on Skype creates a strange sort of pressure. That probably sounds odd, but what I mean is that when you are physically together you don't necessarily need to keep up a constant stream of conversation - the physical presence and contact is in itself a form of communication. On Skype, on the other hand, you feel like you have to keep coming up with things to say, which isn't always easy when you've just been working all day.
I don't really experience that issue... we met online over 6 years ago and we've been talking nearly every day since then. We used to joke that one day we'd surely just run out of things to say and that would be the end of the friendship, but so far so good

In some ways it is a blessing in disguise not being able to talk at night. In the beginning, before we became adept at handling the distance, we used to have some terrible fights when we talked late at night (for me). I would never want to hang up and go to sleep because I missed him so much, but I would also get more and more grumpy as I got tired and end up picking fights!
Ooh, this sounds eerily familiar. For a few months my husband had a job that forced him to wake up really early, and so we'd chat before I went to bed, and I do remember a really bizarre number of fights during that period of time. Maybe you're right... maybe I'm actually pretty lucky!

A new apartment sounds exciting though. Are there things you can do to it decorating-wise to take your mind off the wait?
Yes, lots of decorating (within a small budget)... it's odd though, because I have this desire to leave a lot of things unfinished so that when he moves here, he isn't moving into "my" apartment. I want him to come here and feel like there are tons of things that don't have a proper place, and that he can move things and change things and settle in, because it's our home, not just mine.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Do you have any ideas on dates? What stage are you at?
We're in the neverending "initial review" stage It's been 40 days since we received receipt of our I-130. So it'll probably be another 2-3 months before we hear anything about the next step.

We leave Skype on all the time at our respective houses (connected, I mean). We like to feel like we're in the same room.
I've actually been doing this a little bit as well... not intentionally, but we'll start talking on Skype and then both get distracted with various things and end up just sort of "in the room" with each other for hours. It's really nice to feel the presence of the other person without necessarily having to come up with conversation, like Apfelkuchen was saying.

Though I agree that it's a sad substitute for being physically in the same room... it's amazing how sweet it can be to just sit on a sofa together and read or watch a movie.

As an aside, isn't it annoying how normal couples take that stuff for granted? I like to think that all of us will have much happier relationships (at least temporarily) because of the wait. Thanks USCIS.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

I have to say, yes, we find it very frustrating how not only do people take it for granted but we've gotten a lot of,

"Oh I know just how you feel. My significant other is two hours away by train and we never get to see each other if we aren't at Uni."

And it's like um... I'm sorry to say this but no, you don't know how we feel. You choose not to see your partner, we are 5000 miles away and can't afford the $1000 ticket compared to you not wanting to spend £8 for a train ticket.

Ijaw, I totally get what you were saying about the movies. We used to do that too before he moved first to Uni and then back home where his internet can barely handle Skype.

And it is a poor substitute but I think we'd all agree that it's better than nothing.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katiekat
And it is a poor substitute but I think we'd all agree that it's better than nothing.
Of course! If it was a good substitute, none of us would bother filing immigration paperwork! Being together has to be awfully good to justify so much time, money, and annoyance... and yet we all do it, so I guess we're all lucky in that sense
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
While we were apart we would watch movies together. We would download the same movie, and start it at exactly the same time. We would have our webcams running so we could see each other while we watched.
That's a good idea. We used to do a similar thing when the World Cup was on last summer - we'd watch the matches at the same time and then argue (in a fun way!) over the ref's decisions .
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katiekat
And we do the SAME THING with skype. It's on 24/7 unless he's on a train to London. It really does help us feel like we're closer, even though we know we aren't. It just puts his presence right in the room with me even if he's not around. I think maybe the reason we don't feel pressured to create conversation is simply because it's on all the time so we can talk when we need to and not try to cram in a day's worth of information into a few hours.

Oh! Second best part about finally having that interview date is totally having the motivation to clean house again so everything is ready for him to come out here. Now we just have to get through the interview without anything going wrong and life will be grand.

Same - we just get on with everyday life; chat to each other when we want to talk or work, read, watch TV, go on the internet - normal life things! I cannot wait to be properly together again; I think this will have taught us so much about how to spend our time well.

Yay for cleaning! I find it very therapeutic and, with the knowledge of his almost being there with you it must be very motivating and uplifting, too. I'm kinda on the other end of the deal: packing, packing, packing! One more tea chest to go and then it's just me, two suitcases and a wedding dress!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nica
We're in the neverending "initial review" stage It's been 40 days since we received receipt of our I-130. So it'll probably be another 2-3 months before we hear anything about the next step.

I've actually been doing this a little bit as well... not intentionally, but we'll start talking on Skype and then both get distracted with various things and end up just sort of "in the room" with each other for hours. It's really nice to feel the presence of the other person without necessarily having to come up with conversation, like Apfelkuchen was saying.

Though I agree that it's a sad substitute for being physically in the same room... it's amazing how sweet it can be to just sit on a sofa together and read or watch a movie.

As an aside, isn't it annoying how normal couples take that stuff for granted? I like to think that all of us will have much happier relationships (at least temporarily) because of the wait. Thanks USCIS.

I'm really glad to hear you're feeling more positive, though the initial review stage does really suck. It seem to take forever, and with no news until it's done. We had our paperwork accepted in February (I-130 through) and got the approval from the USCIS in June.

It is a sad substitute but I think you're right: because the relationship has had to endure a lot already, and is based on talking, understanding and patience, I think it actually shows how strong you already are as a couple. So yes, thanks USCIS!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
We did this once too, but the slight delay on one of the two sides of the call made it quite frustrating!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is a sad substitute but I think you're right: because the relationship has had to endure a lot already, and is based on talking, understanding and patience, I think it actually shows how strong you already are as a couple. So yes, thanks USCIS!
Hear, hear! *Feels smug*.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

We did this once too, but the slight delay on one of the two sides of the call made it quite frustrating!
Haha... this made me imagine you both watching a horror film or mystery, and constantly spoiling it for each other by reacting to a scene 2 seconds before the other had a chance to see it. I can see how that would be extremely annoying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.