Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrating for US Army

Wikiposts

Emigrating for US Army

Old Oct 12th 2003, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

First of all sweetie, I am Scottish, not American. I am sure your English Lit O level will get you a long way over here!

Second of all, I think you may have to get a green card in order to be eligible to join the US military. Good luck. My husband was sponsored by his company at a cost of $10,000 and the services of an immigration lawyer and it still took 3 years. So I think you may be shit out of luck.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

And another thing. You would be more likely to be killed in the US Military than the Brit Military. There have been more "Non Combatant Deaths" in the US Military since the war ended than in the whole of the war. Fart in your sleep and bang, your dead.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Fairy is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, hunni bunni, i couldnt give a flying **** where your from. Secondly, your husband probably need the 10 grand and a lawyer because of that shitty Scortish accent, wee little lass. O-Levels- my mum took them 20 years ago, and there were dying out then. Shit outta luck maybe, but **** me i'll try. More chance of dying, who cares, we all die sometime, right? Non combatant deaths are because of the stupidty of the soldiers. In Afhganistan, American soldiers that were in bases there were not allowed to carry loaded weapons(for a time anyway) because there were so many accidental discharges. Fart in ya sleep and bang ya dead...fart next to a flame, bang, ya dead. Anyways, back on topic, i got a reply from a US Army recruiter, and in his email it said Legal Resident Aliens were able to enlist, only problem is i cant find any information regarding L. R. Aliens(bearing in mind its late and ive only checked the US Embassy, govt. immigrant site), so does anyone have any information?

Aaron
Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just failed your psychological test
Old Oct 12th 2003, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by nathan barley
I have heard and known of some councils, and my old town council included, who barred the flying of the Union Jack on a person's own property incase it upset new immigrants from different cultures, and presented a racially offensive image.

That's one of the things I like about the US; people are actually proud to fly their flag from their car or home, even if it is made in China
I cannot fly my Wessex flag from my property either...Ok mainly because I cannot find anyone that makes one damn it, but there ya go !

As an aside, what is the view for people who have bumper/window stickers on their cars with either British / England / Scotland / Wales/ Ireland flags on them ?

Doc
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.jsonline.com/news/gen/mar03/129667.asp
Old Oct 12th 2003, 7:47 pm
bc1
Just Joined

bc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...itizenjobs.htm
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:31 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought if you signed up for the US Military you got automatic citizenship?

Doc, I just bought myself a bumper sticker with both the US and UK flag on it. I think it's perfectly fine to show allegiance to your home country and your adopted country.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:57 am
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by Fairy
First of all, hunni bunni, i couldnt give a flying **** where your from. Secondly, your husband probably need the 10 grand and a lawyer because of that shitty Scortish accent, wee little lass. O-Levels- my mum took them 20 years ago, and there were dying out then. Shit outta luck maybe, but **** me i'll try. More chance of dying, who cares, we all die sometime, right? Non combatant deaths are because of the stupidty of the soldiers. In Afhganistan, American soldiers that were in bases there were not allowed to carry loaded weapons(for a time anyway) because there were so many accidental discharges. Fart in ya sleep and bang ya dead...fart next to a flame, bang, ya dead. Anyways, back on topic, i got a reply from a US Army recruiter, and in his email it said Legal Resident Aliens were able to enlist, only problem is i cant find any information regarding L. R. Aliens(bearing in mind its late and ive only checked the US Embassy, govt. immigrant site), so does anyone have any information?

Aaron
HOW TO BECOME A LEGAL RESIDENT ALIEN
BY PULASKI

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

Which ever way you try to do it, it is going to be very difficult, but if you really want to it is possible.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Pulaski on 23 Aug 2003 at 13:53

Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok sweetie, you are obviously not too bright. For the 3rd time:
YOU NEED A GREEN CARD, WHICH EQUATES TO RESIDENT ALIEN.
Do you get it now. To be quite honest hunni bunni, I don't think they would take you, too much of an attitude problem.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I thought if you signed up for the US Military you got automatic citizenship?

Doc, I just bought myself a bumper sticker with both the US and UK flag on it. I think it's perfectly fine to show allegiance to your home country and your adopted country.

I don't think that is true. I think you may get it quicker, re not having to wait the full 5 years with your green card/3 years (or is it 2) if you get married. I think you are eligible after 2 years in the Military. Getting the green card is the hard part. Catch 22 really.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Fairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the post ScarlettHill. Effi, seeing as no one stated a green card equates to lawful resident alien so basicly, suck my ass and call me Johan.

Aaron
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:23 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Army

By 'best' I think ppl mean the British Army is the most professional. Unlike the US Army they are not always accidentally killing their allies in 'friendly fire' incidents. Remember the Canadians they killed in Afghanistan? Or the British they killed in Iraq? (Didn't recognise the Union Jack on the roof of the jeep--how dumb is that?)
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:25 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post ScarlettHill. Effi, seeing as no one stated a green card equates to lawful resident alien so basicly, suck my ass and call me Johan.

Aaron
Aaron

Unfortunately the green card is what gives you the lawful resident alien status, so Effi is correct.

Maggie
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Aaron

Whatever, you are obviously very young and extremely stupid. Does your mother know you are on the computer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.