Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrating for US Army

Wikiposts

Emigrating for US Army

Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:57 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
This is a very easy question to answer. Armies are trained to fight and soldiers are trained to kill. You have to keep an army and its soldiers aggressive even during peace time. You also have to control this aggressiveness or you would have a mayem.

Not letting soldiers, who you have made aggressive, have guns is fine by me or you would would these highly trained, highly aggressive guys wanting to kill things and having the means to do it. Its a bit like giving a jock alcohol!

Patrick
That seems logical, though I was have expecting an answer more along the lines of the guns/ammunition that the army "lend" to the soldiers are strictly controlled etc etc.

Does that logic also apply to soldiers that are US citizens, and not just 'immigrant' soldiers for want of a better description? ie do US soldiers sign away their constitutional right to bear arms outside the forces? And does it extend beyond the period of their service?
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

That cannot be true about flying the flag, surely? How nice it is to see here in America, that people take great pride in their stars and stripes, where as just because a few morons highjacked the Union Jack in Britain for unmoral purposes, you are told you cannot fly it in your own country, just in case you upset a few minorities. I call bullshit on that law. I'd be flying both the Stars and Stripes and the Union jack from my house, if it wasnt for some BS rule by the residents commitee where I live, saying that you cannot fly two flags. I may still do it until someone complains, and then I'll leave the Union Jack up
Old Oct 11th 2003, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Miztiki
Like us or not, it's a fact. Do I detect a little penis envy?
Far from it. Vietnam 1 USA 0 was the final score I believe ?

The US needs the British army there to back them, simple as that. And I have been assured of that by acolleague of my Fiancée's who works at the pentagon.

The British Army is the best army in the world.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 5:27 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

The British army is the best army in the world.

How do we define best?

Best at killing?
Best at shooting?
Best at singing?
Best at following the USA?
Best at not defeating the Nazi Germany?
Best at running from the Suez Canal?

I'm in no way mocking the army. It just made me wonder what is good about an army. And how to define "best".

I doubt a senior Pentegon Official would say such a thing and a junior member of staff should have known better. I (for what its worth - nothing) think the US wanted the UK army to show political support in order to attempt to get more nations to join - not because they needed them (even if it was useful).
Old Oct 11th 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrating for US Army

Originally posted by Fairy
Hey everyone, im currently a British citizen living in London, and i want to emigrate to the United States with the intention of joining the US Army. Ive emailed various recruiters within the US Army as they may be able to help me in some way, but im really confused about, well, everything. Could anyone please tell me(kinda step by step lol) how i'd go about doing this? Ive searched the forums and havent really found anything thats very helpful considering my overall goal. Any help would be really gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I could be wrong, but having grown up in the US with all the recruiting I am under the impression that you would just come over as a visitor, sign up with the military, and everything from immigration to education to health to family benefits can be taken care of. Geez, you don't even need to be able to speak English. In fact, the army prefers foreigners because they make better soldiers than the ones who are goofing off and getting reprimanded all the time.

Last edited by jaytee; Oct 11th 2003 at 7:41 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

The British Army is the best army in the world.

Far from it. The Israeli army would kick the British army's arses up around their ears. Israel's fighter pilots are also outstanding.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Fairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats intresting JayTee, but im really not sure. Lets got get into a discussion about best armies in the world, since best doesnt always matter when we take into consideration(ie. the whole of China would lay down there tools and fight for there country, meaning anyone would did try to invade would be commiting genecide to defeat them. You cant say 'so and so is a much better army that so and so'. All you can do to even get an idea of how 'good' an army is, is take into consideration all the variables- training, cross training with other units, the experiance of the people training them, combat experiance ect ect. The IDF doesnt have enough forces to participate a full scale war, hence the 'D' part of there name, which stands for 'Defence'. Going to Scrumpys post, 'Nam 1 US 0. Thats one example of a country(Vietnam) being totally underestimated. So, you really cant just say one country is better than another, especially since most of the countries people bother to compare happen to be allied.

Aaron
Old Oct 12th 2003, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I doubt a senior Pentegon Official would say such a thing and a junior member of staff should have known better. I (for what its worth - nothing) think the US wanted the UK army to show political support in order to attempt to get more nations to join - not because they needed them (even if it was useful). [/QUOTE]

A civilian contractor who works at the pentagon commented about how they were glad the 'English Army ' were involvred in the war on terror as they are so well respected.

yes, I appreciate that there are a few Scots, Welsh, Irish & Ghurka regiments thatserve within the 'English' Army.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Jabba1
Far from it. The Israeli army would kick the British army's arses up around their ears. Israel's fighter pilots are also outstanding.
LMAO
The Isreali army is great at killing unarmed women & kids. Their pilots are superb at murdering refugees too !
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
LMAO
The Isreali army is great at killing unarmed women & kids. Their pilots are superb at murdering refugees too !

Israel is a Jewish nation that is surrounded on all sides by Muslim nations most of which have, at one time or another, vowed to destroy Israel. Muslims and Jews are mortal enemies. Israel has had no choice but to hone it's military to a razor's edge. Israeli commandos are the finest in the world, their fighter pilots have distingushed themselves in combat time without number.

I didn't say the Israeli military was the largest, just the best. Set an equal number of Israeli and British commandos (both with similar weapons and other equipment) against one another, and I would bet everything I own that the Israelis would win.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Why are they the best? Do they all have three breasts? That'd make them best. American and British SF work with counter terrorism teams from France, Germany, Poland, Russia, Thailand...practically every non third world country that has a military. They cross train with Polands GROM unit, Thailands Force Recon...do Israel cross train with all these countrys? No. Israels SF is Mossad(sp?) right? What special operations have they done lately, bar assassination attempts, and shooting unarmed civilians? Listen to Scrumpy- your planes bomb un-defended places- blocks of flats and the likes. US and British planes bombed Iraq, anyone that knew the slightest about Iraqs military, or even watched footage of the bombing would know that Iraq is packed full of anti aircraft sites. 'Set an equal number...' yeah, dude, do you really think SAS planners are gonna sit down and say 'well, y'know, these Israelies only have 100 commandos based here, so instead of sending the 300 we were gonna, we'd better only send 100, just so its fair.'

Aaron
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:50 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pimpbot
That cannot be true about flying the flag, surely? How nice it is to see here in America, that people take great pride in their stars and stripes, where as just because a few morons highjacked the Union Jack in Britain for unmoral purposes, you are told you cannot fly it in your own country, just in case you upset a few minorities. I call bullshit on that law. I'd be flying both the Stars and Stripes and the Union jack from my house, if it wasnt for some BS rule by the residents commitee where I live, saying that you cannot fly two flags. I may still do it until someone complains, and then I'll leave the Union Jack up
I have heard and known of some councils, and my old town council included, who barred the flying of the Union Jack on a person's own property incase it upset new immigrants from different cultures, and presented a racially offensive image.

That's one of the things I like about the US; people are actually proud to fly their flag from their car or home, even if it is made in China
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1 ..... Set an equal number of Israeli and British commandos (both with similar weapons and other equipment) against one another, and I would bet everything I own that the Israelis would win.
That is a speculative conjecture on your part, and a brave one as I wouldn't bet much on anyone beating SAS commandos. "cool"

Anyway, the Israelis train their soldiers to defend Israel, a small country with a narrow range of geographical and climatic environments. British troops on the other hand train for desert, jungle, and arctic warfare, and all envirnoments in between. .....

We could argue all day about it, but we have virtually no hard data to go as the British armed forces have never gone head-to-head, nor have they fought against a common enemy in more than a generation either.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Fairy
I think you have to have a green card in order to join the military. Non US Citizens can join, but why would you want to die for a President if you cannot vote? Especially one like Dubya. That means you would have to be sponsored by someone/Company in the US. Judging by the spelling mistakes in your post, you don't strike me as being particularly intelligent so I doubt very much if anyone would either employ you or sponsor you. Stay home and fight for your own Country.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Were on an internet forum effi, spelling dont count for shit, nor does it matter really. If it pleases you, ill scan my English and English Lit. certificates and mail them to you. Id also like to point out that my country fights in 90% of the battles your country fights, and vice versa. Ooo id also like to point this ickle mistake with you pun-chew-aison: 'I doubt very much if anyone' - you should edit that, as the correct phrase would read 'I doubt very much that anyone'. Back on topic- Non US citizens can join the military, that means id need an immigration visa and id be set, right?

Aaron

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.