Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Old May 9th 2012, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Have you thought of applying for a PhD? If you get in to one of the ivies, you'll most likely get a fellowship - it's almost automatic. Public schools are more tricky as they're often federally funded and limited to USCs and PRs.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:26 am
Just Joined

simsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
Have you thought of applying for a PhD? If you get in to one of the ivies, you'll most likely get a fellowship - it's almost automatic. Public schools are more tricky as they're often federally funded and limited to USCs and PRs.
Thanks

Yeah i have thought about it but the problem with doing a phd is it will take about 5 years to complete and i wont have a proper income through those years. I was going to do a phd in my current university but like i said i wouldnt have any saving/salary by the time im 26. I dont really know much about the american phd/academic system. Would I have to sit a gmat or gre?

Do you have anymore insight on this?
Old May 9th 2012, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by simsons
Thanks

Yeah i have thought about it but the problem with doing a phd is it will take about 5 years to complete and i wont have a proper income through those years. I was going to do a phd in my current university but like i said i wouldnt have any saving/salary by the time im 26. I dont really know much about the american phd/academic system. Would I have to sit a gmat or gre?

Do you have anymore insight on this?
I did it

Had a fantastic time. Took me 4 years, could have done it quicker but decided to have a baby which is delightful but not conducive to writing a phd.

Yes, GRE or GMAT, depending on what you apply for. You also need to start contacting faculty to discuss your dissertation ideas.

You can also work while you study. You're limited to on-campus work but that's fine on top of your fellowship.

26 you're still very young and you can use the summers to arrange internships and build up the contacts you'll need to later change your status and get sponsorship. You can also work for a bit after you finish your degree on a F1 visa but I don't remember the rules and it may have changed.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advice. Do you think its worth me paying the £6000 but get £500 a month for this internship to attain my goal of a sponser?
Bit weird to have to pay for an internship, but I guess it evens out if you get $1000/mo allowance. I have no personal or second-hand experience of the Mountbatten program in particular. I've hired J-1 interns and we have always paid all their visa and travel costs as well as a stipend.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:41 am
Just Joined

I did it

Had a fantastic time. Took me 4 years, could have done it quicker but decided to have a baby which is delightful but not conducive to writing a phd.

Yes, GRE or GMAT, depending on what you apply for. You also need to start contacting faculty to discuss your dissertation ideas.

You can also work while you study. You're limited to on-campus work but that's fine on top of your fellowship.

26 you're still very young and you can use the summers to arrange internships and build up the contacts you'll need to later change your status and get sponsorship. You can also work for a bit after you finish your degree on a F1 visa but I don't remember the rules and it may have changed.
Thank you! I just private messaged you
Old May 9th 2012, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by henryh
Bit weird to have to pay for an internship, but I guess it evens out if you get $1000/mo allowance. I have no personal or second-hand experience of the Mountbatten program in particular. I've hired J-1 interns and we have always paid all their visa and travel costs as well as a stipend.
Thank you for your advice , im going to have to weigh out all these options.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to answer those questions - as each person's situation is so different. There is no "standard," or even common way to do this (apart from marriage.) You have to weigh the risks and forge your own path. There are as many ways to immigrate as there are immigrants.

Some thoughts: The US government issues 65,000 H1bs every year - if you are ambitious enough, one of those could be yours. You have to have a specialty occupation and a related degree. It helps to be in an area where there is a skills shortage.

Working for a company and getting a transfer could totally work - but might take years. Careers in finance, banking, accountancy, and consultancy seem to have a higher percentage of transferees.

Watch out for scams. The mountbatten thing looks fairly legit - but beware, there are plenty of "agencies" and "visa consultants" out there looking to take your money.

Consider trying to get a job in a smaller market (non NY.) You might find there is more demand for high-flying graduates. The hub cities attract all the best talent. If you are willing to start outside NY, there may be opportunities.

Don't discount further study in the US. The mega-MBAs cost mega-bucks, but perhaps you could get a toehold by doing a cheaper degree in a low-profile college It would at least get you a student visa and a chance to network.

How did I do it? While I was working here, I took a lot of people for lattes and picked their brains. Drank a lot of coffee :-) I had some cred from working at the beeb and that seemed to go quite far in the TV business in Washington. Once you find someone who really likes you and wants to hire you, then you can get into the business of trying to solve the immigration problem. In my case the hiring company "never did sponsorships," but my boss made a case that she was unable to hire anyone locally and I was the only option. Afterwards she said if she had known how much paperwork was involved, she wouldn't have done it. Phew.

The second visa was a transfer to a company that really wanted to hire me. They also got stroppy when they found out how much work it was, but I was bringing them a lot of clients and business, so they sucked it up.

There is usually a way to do achieve your goals in life, you just need to be determined and creative about it... And NETWORK!

Thank you for the encouragement and advice guys

@Chrisdc thats pretty amazing that you did that. I feel a little more motivated but i know its gonna be hard and take alot of effort. What specific element do you think it was that got you a sponser?

The mountbatten institute program costs £6000 for the year (get paid £500 a month :s), where as if i started a job in the uk with a US company i would get paid a salary and then a transfer. The kind of jobs im looking at is more based on quantitative analyst/equity trading than general finance roles.

What im trying to figure out is:
what would you guys do? or
which one seems to have a better prospect for long term move to the US?
How long does it take to get a transfer?
Old May 9th 2012, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
It's hard to answer those questions - as each person's situation is so different. There is no "standard," or even common way to do this (apart from marriage.) You have to weigh the risks and forge your own path. There are as many ways to immigrate as there are immigrants.

Some thoughts: The US government issues 65,000 H1bs every year - if you are ambitious enough, one of those could be yours. You have to have a specialty occupation and a related degree. It helps to be in an area where there is a skills shortage.

Working for a company and getting a transfer could totally work - but might take years. Careers in finance, banking, accountancy, and consultancy seem to have a higher percentage of transferees.

Watch out for scams. The mountbatten thing looks fairly legit - but beware, there are plenty of "agencies" and "visa consultants" out there looking to take your money.

Consider trying to get a job in a smaller market (non NY.) You might find there is more demand for high-flying graduates. The hub cities attract all the best talent. If you are willing to start outside NY, there may be opportunities.

Don't discount further study in the US. The mega-MBAs cost mega-bucks, but perhaps you could get a toehold by doing a cheaper degree in a low-profile college It would at least get you a student visa and a chance to network.

How did I do it? While I was working here, I took a lot of people for lattes and picked their brains. Drank a lot of coffee :-) I had some cred from working at the beeb and that seemed to go quite far in the TV business in Washington. Once you find someone who really likes you and wants to hire you, then you can get into the business of trying to solve the immigration problem. In my case the hiring company "never did sponsorships," but my boss made a case that she was unable to hire anyone locally and I was the only option. Afterwards she said if she had known how much paperwork was involved, she wouldn't have done it. Phew.

The second visa was a transfer to a company that really wanted to hire me. They also got stroppy when they found out how much work it was, but I was bringing them a lot of clients and business, so they sucked it up.

There is usually a way to do achieve your goals in life, you just need to be determined and creative about it... And NETWORK!
Thank you! lots of food for thought there. I might just go take that networking class in two weeks. Your advice was extremely helpful. I like that fact that you've given me a very optimistic advice opposed to the people who generally tell me to give up.
Old May 9th 2012, 2:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...You can also work for a bit after you finish your degree on a F1 visa but I don't remember the rules and it may have changed.
OPT, for about a year.
Old May 9th 2012, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
OPT, for about a year.
Thank you, i was jus looking that up