Reload this Page >

Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Old May 8th 2012, 5:56 am
Just Joined

simsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Hi,

Like many people who post on the forum I would like to know more about moving to America from England for atleast 5 years or so (not sure if i want to move permanently). I have read the basics and have understood that the only options I really have in obtaining a visa is either through a sponser from a US employer or to marry a US citizen (Which is not an option).

Im 22 and currently studying my masters in mathematical finance in the uk which will finish in september. I have an undergraduate degree in economics and a little work experience. What are the chances of me finding an employer to sponser me?

I have been thinking about applying for the Mountbatten institute internship in new york that lasts for a year. Do you think this will be beneficial in helping me find a permanent job in the US? Has anyone else heard of stories of people staying in america after an internship?

OR

Would it be better to find a job in a US company in the UK and try to transfer after a year? how easy is it to transfer?

I'd appreciate any advice guys
Old May 8th 2012, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Originally Posted by simsons
I have been thinking about applying for the Mountbatten institute internship in new york that lasts for a year. Do you think this will be beneficial in helping me find a permanent job in the US? Has anyone else heard of stories of people staying in america after an internship?
If you can get the internship, YES this will open many doors.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:44 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrate from uk to usa - Read the basics but have further questions

Hi,

Like many people who post on the forum I would like to know more about moving to America from England for atleast 5 years or so (not sure if i want to move permanently). I have read the basics and have understood that the only options I really have in obtaining a visa is either through a sponser from a US employer or to marry a US citizen (Which is not an option).

Im 22 and currently studying my masters in mathematical finance in the uk which will finish in september. I have an undergraduate degree in economics and a little work experience. What are the chances of me finding an employer to sponser me?

OR

Would it be better to find a job in a US company in the UK and try to transfer after a year? how easy is it to transfer?

Yes, find a job with a US company in the UK then WOW them. Then try for a transfer. (costly for them, hence the WOW them)
Old May 8th 2012, 8:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get a internship after you graduate, look to do a student exchange before you graduate or look for a job with a US presence where you can work towards getting yourself transferred in a few years are your best and most realistic options.

That, or study further in the US, but that could be pricey.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Hi,

OR

Internship is a good way to network and may lead to a job.

With your academic background I would suggest one of the US banks in London: I have known many people that were transferred to the US this way. You could start with an internship (GS and JPM have excellent internship programs - apply as early as possible) to see where in the bank your talents best lie. However, with a masters you shouldn't find it too hard to get something - wait a couple of years and then apply for a posting in the US.

Good luck.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice guys!

You all seem to be suggesting that getting a job in the uk and a transfer is an easier option. Does that mean im wasting my time in thinking that if i get the New York Mountbatten placement for a year ill have no or little chance of landing a job in the us after or them potentially keeping me on after the year???

is any of this realistic or am i venturing down a path of nowhere? Does anyone know of anyone that has actually done it?

Appreciate the advice
Old May 8th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Thank you for the advice guys!

You all seem to be suggesting that getting a job in the uk and a transfer is an easier option. Does that mean im wasting my time in thinking that if i get the New York Mountbatten placement for a year ill have no or little chance of landing a job in the us after or them potentially keeping me on after the year???

is any of this realistic or am i venturing down a path of nowhere? Does anyone know of anyone that has actually done it?

Appreciate the advice
I don't know anyone who has gone that route but it certainly wouldn't do you any harm. You have a chance that they may offer you a permanent post at the end of the internship or you might meet and marry someone whilst you are there!
Old May 8th 2012, 10:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a possibility, but realistically, it's rather unlikely.

What you gain is experience in the area and a chance to build up a network of contacts.

The thing is, getting a visa costs thousands and is quite a hassle, especially with start dates, unless it is a company transfer. So realistically, with very little experience, the chances are pretty slim, but it opens up doors in the future and it's a very doable realistic 5-10 year plan.
Old May 8th 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

I highly recommend spending a year in the US - especially if you can secure the Mountbatten thing. Networking is so much easier if you are here with your boots on the ground. Employers are really only interested in interacting with you if you are actually in the city. You might not swing a sponsorship immediately at the end of the program, but you will have a contact book, leads and some good ideas on how to make your plan a reality.

As an aside, I came over on a 1-year intra-company transfer. My boss told me (before I left London) that I had no chance in hell of staying in the US, so he would see me back there in a year. Perversely I found that incredibly motivating. I began networking like crazy, found a sponsor and managed to stay.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the encouragement and advice guys

@Chrisdc thats pretty amazing that you did that. I feel a little more motivated but i know its gonna be hard and take alot of effort. What specific element do you think it was that got you a sponser?

The mountbatten institute program costs £6000 for the year (get paid £500 a month :s), where as if i started a job in the uk with a US company i would get paid a salary and then a transfer. The kind of jobs im looking at is more based on quantitative analyst/equity trading than general finance roles.

What im trying to figure out is:
what would you guys do? or
which one seems to have a better prospect for long term move to the US?
How long does it take to get a transfer?
Old May 8th 2012, 11:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the encouragement and advice guys

@Chrisdc thats pretty amazing that you did that. I feel a little more motivated but i know its gonna be hard and take alot of effort. What specific element do you think it was that got you a sponser?

The mountbatten institute program costs £6000 for the year (get paid £500 a month :s), where as if i started a job in the uk with a US company i would get paid a salary and then a transfer. The kind of jobs im looking at is more based on quantitative analyst/equity trading than general finance roles.

What im trying to figure out is:
what would you guys do? or
which one seems to have a better prospect for long term move to the US?
How long does it take to get a transfer?

Not being mean - but watch the typos. Asking anyone to sponser you is likely to lead to your cv being binned.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Not being mean - but watch the typos. Asking anyone to sponser you is likely to lead to your cv being binned.
lol yeah i agree. Its just me being epically careless.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

lol yeah i agree. Its just me being epically careless.
You'll fit right in on BE then.
Old May 9th 2012, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think the internship route is much more likely to get you the contacts you'll need for a sponsorship sooner rather than later. Intra-company transfer is a longer shot IMO. Do bear in mind you'll need to show nonimmigrant intent for the J-1 (though it's usually a formality at the London embassy for such internships).
Old May 9th 2012, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by henryh
Personally I think the internship route is much more likely to get you the contacts you'll need for a sponsorship sooner rather than later. Intra-company transfer is a longer shot IMO. Do bear in mind you'll need to show nonimmigrant intent for the J-1 (though it's usually a formality at the London embassy for such internships).
Thank you for your advice. Do you think its worth me paying the £6000 but get £500 a month for this internship to attain my goal of a sponser?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.