Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To emigrate or not to!

To emigrate or not to!

Old Jul 16th 2005, 2:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To emigrate or not to!

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Unfortunately there isn't one
Not quite true.. you get a job offer first .. then the company applies for your visa..
Old Jul 16th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pepsoid
To answer some of the questions! England can be a very conservative country, which doesn't encourage much of anything. I have always wanted to experience living in NY because it seemed the opposite of this. The reason we said about New England, was because we thought NY itself might be too much of a shock. But from doing more research I've realised that outlying areas in NY is probably where we want to go. I have an MA in Photography and a degree in Psychology and statistics, so am somewhat confused what type of visa to apply for. We thought we'd talk to people on forums first to get people's feedback on life in America, before we went through the rigmarole of Visa's.
My partner has posted a query about Tasmania, because we are somewhat daunted so far by the american visa system, oh for an easy flow diagram!

We know we want to change our lives, because we are both 32 and it's a bit now or never, but we're not sure what. So thanks for any advice given.

Pepsoid,

One cannot apply for a visa to immigrate to the US themselves. There are 7 or 8 criteria for immigration, Manc do you have the list?

You can only move here if sponsored, either by employer or relative. You only have the employer route open as far as I see. You could also study here on an F1 visa which is non-immigrant or do some kind of professional exchange through a sponsor on a J1 visa, again non-immigrant.

As far as England being very conservative, as you say, you have no idea how ultra conservative the US is. Imagine living somewhere where nearly all the cars have the jesus fish on them, teaching evolution is all but banned in schools and creationism is taught almost as fact, you are totaly ostracised by your community if you don't go to church, racism is pervasive and you get the baptists knocking on your door to try and save you weekly, people actually stand in the street waving signs to try and outlaw abortion etc etc.....In my opinion and experience...

I could go on, but as far as conservatism goes (and I have lived all over Europe and N. and S. America, the UK is the least conservative by miles. It is a liberal utopia compared with most of the US.

Have you thought of Canada, SA or Oz/NZ? I am not familiar with their immigration policies but know you can get a 6 month working holidaymaker visa for OZ. If I were you I would explore the opportunities in the 24 other EU countries I could live in first, being harshly blunt, I'm sorry.

Best of luck what ever you do.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 2:37 pm
ImHere

To answer some of the questions! England can be a very conservative country, which doesn't encourage much of anything. I have always wanted to experience living in NY because it seemed the opposite of this. The reason we said about New England, was because we thought NY itself might be too much of a shock. But from doing more research I've realised that outlying areas in NY is probably where we want to go. I have an MA in Photography and a degree in Psychology and statistics, so am somewhat confused what type of visa to apply for. We thought we'd talk to people on forums first to get people's feedback on life in America, before we went through the rigmarole of Visa's.
My partner has posted a query about Tasmania, because we are somewhat daunted so far by the american visa system, oh for an easy flow diagram!

We know we want to change our lives, because we are both 32 and it's a bit now or never, but we're not sure what. So thanks for any advice given.

Well before you can think about location you need to think about visas. Getting a visa to live and work in the states aint easy. Bob posted the 8 (and ONLY 8) ways to get a visa to live and work in the USA.

Im afraid neither your MA nor Degree will mean diddly squat unless you can get sponsored by a US company and thats probably unlikely. I think they proabably have plenty of photographers and psychologists here already.

what does you partner do? If shes a nurse then she can apply thorugh one of the myriad nursing agencies to come work in the USA on a Green Card (thats how we came to be here) but this takes upward of 2 years to achieve and a LOT of effort. You say "partner" so are you married? If not then even if one of you gets a work visa the other most likely wont.

Your other main option is the E2 route - buy into a business. Personally I wouldnt do this even though a lot of starry eyed Brits do (and they all seem to come to Florida ) and you can expect to lay out over $100,000 for the pleasure, plus whatever moving/living cost you may have. This doesnt give you permanent residence status and is a lot of hard work and gambling on success (and the INS giving you visa renewals).

Seriously, unless you work for a company that can transfer you, one of you is a nurse or doctor with good experience, or you have a LOT of cash, you are far better off going to Oz, or as has been suggested, somewhere else in the EU, for which you need no visas as a British citizen. Its a big ol' world and a lot of it isnt the USA.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Last edited by ImHere; Jul 16th 2005 at 2:42 pm.

Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Well before you can think about location you need to think about visas. Getting a visa to live and work in the states aint easy. Bob posted the 8 (and ONLY 8) ways to get a visa to live and work in the USA.
Theres actually nine.. but I did not think many people would be up for the S-5 and S-6....so omited them
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:13 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ray
Theres actually nine.. but I did not think many people would be up for the S-5 and S-6....so omited them

Ahh yep. Well maybe the OP has some "useful" info that could secure him a small home somewhere in darkest SD and a personal entry on the witness protection list?

Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:20 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by ImHere
Ahh yep. Well maybe the OP has some "useful" info that could secure him a small home somewhere in darkest SD and a personal entry on the witness protection list?
I hear Wyoming can be nice ..for a few days in the year ....
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:38 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ray
I hear Wyoming can be nice ..for a few days in the year ....

Maybe they are that desperate that even Wyoming(!) will do? At least they wont get too cold what with having to wear the heavy disguises and all.

Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:51 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Not quite true.. you get a job offer first .. then the company applies for your visa..
technically you're right, but in my unqualified opinion I would say a h1b is not a realistic opening
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

To answer some of the questions! England can be a very conservative country, which doesn't encourage much of anything. I have always wanted to experience living in NY because it seemed the opposite of this. The reason we said about New England, was because we thought NY itself might be too much of a shock.
Before I went to England, I thought that it would be very conservative compared to the US. I was definitely wrong! I was really surprised about how it really was over there. I mean, there's naked people all over your TV at night!! Compared to England, I would say that we are actually much more conservative.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:55 pm
Ray

technically you're right, but in my unqualified opinion I would say a h1b is not a realistic opening
With a Psychology degree ..I think he stands a very good chance of employment... But then I would argue just for the pleasure of it ...
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:58 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
With a Psychology degree ..I think he stands a very good chance of employment... But then I would argue just for the pleasure of it ...
likewise

but I think (correct me if i'm wrong) h1b requirements is that there is no american who can perform the job in the vicinity - this would be the deal breaker as psychology degrees are 10 a penny here
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:00 pm
ImHere

likewise

but I think (correct me if i'm wrong) h1b requirements is that there is no american who can perform the job in the vicinity - this would be the deal breaker as psychology degrees are 10 a penny here
As I said...I think the US has plenty of its own Trickcyclists.

Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:01 pm
Ray

likewise

Actually your wrong ... that requirement is for labor certification... not an H-1B visa ...
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And maybe the OP will be able to read something into that

Though to the OP....consider Canada or any other country, be a lot easier, and cheaper getting a visa.....if you don't get a decent job out here, the medical insurance will be a major arse on top of all your other expenses....oh and your psychology degree might be worthless here, as most medical type degree's have to go through various hoops to re-qualify.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:06 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Bob
And maybe the OP will be able to read something into that

Though to the OP....consider Canada or any other country, be a lot easier, and cheaper getting a visa.....if you don't get a decent job out here, the medical insurance will be a major arse on top of all your other expenses....oh and your psychology degree might be worthless here, as most medical type degree's have to go through various hoops to re-qualify.

Or $200 from Degrees on line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.