Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

electrical stuff in america

electrical stuff in america

Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:19 pm
still waiting

lesleyinlondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrical stuff in america

is it worth me taking my kitchen electrical stuff to the usa?? and playstations tvs just for playstation use and my computer????? is it very difficult to covert them or get a converter plug or something????
yes i am very niave lol and my american partner is being no help to me!!!!!!!!! he has no idea

id be greatful of any help
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrical stuff in america

Originally posted by lesleyinlondon
is it worth me taking my kitchen electrical stuff to the usa?? and playstations tvs just for playstation use and my computer????? is it very difficult to covert them or get a converter plug or something????
yes i am very niave lol and my american partner is being no help to me!!!!!!!!! he has no idea

id be greatful of any help
Lesley: Try here: http://www.avatar-moving.com/kb/doc_uk.html

- it's a great site on moving from US to UK (I know that's the opposite direction), but the compatibility info is still relevant.

and here:

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/MainContent/I.../ImportFAQ.htm

and here:
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.cle...ult/compat.htm

Last edited by dunroving; Dec 29th 2003 at 1:30 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 1:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrical stuff in america

Originally posted by lesleyinlondon
Is it worth me taking my kitchen electrical stuff to the usa?? and playstations tvs just for playstation use and my computer????? is it very difficult to covert them or get a converter plug or something. ....
Mostly I wouldn't bother bringing electrical stuff with you, it is more trouble than it's worth, and you don't need a "converter plug" you need transformers, which are relatively big boxes (six inch cubes or bigger), and relatively expensive ( basic ones start at about $17, and decent ones, for hifi or TV equipment, start at around $45). So unless you want a transformer box, and trailing 4-bar on your kitchen work surface, plan on buying new appliances for your kitchen.

If you do decided to bring the TV, be aware that (i) TV's seem to cause more problems for immigrants to the US than all other electrical matter put together, (ii) you will only ever be able (at best) use it to watch PAL videos, or for your British Playstation, and (iii) be sure to get a quality transformer (see my link to the DVD Overseas.com, above) with ample power, say twice the rated power requirement of the appliances that that you may want to use it for at the same time.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 1st 2004 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the voltage conversion issues, if you have kitchen electrical items you can't part with because they are highly reliable workhorses (a mixer perhaps?), then you might want to consider bringing it/them to the US.

However, if you're really just attached or sentimental about a kitchen appliance, I wouldn't bother bringing it to the US for the practical issues about converting voltage.

Also, once you have the appliance here, there's a good chance (especially if it's a European brand) that spare parts and repairs may be very, very expensive or simply not available in the US.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 2:13 pm
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

start again... completely... it's what i did; cd's, cassettes and DVD's (with a multi region DVD player) aside...

it's the only way forward really... anything else is just too much hassle and grief... a new playstation here in the USA can be picked up for $40, or for the equivalent of about $60 in the UK... so, is it really worth all the hassle? nope.... start over...

Best
GJB