Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Eccletic Electrical madness

Eccletic Electrical madness

Old Mar 6th 2003, 8:21 pm
darrenb

Default Eccletic Electrical madness

I know most people ditch their electrical equipment when moving to the US. We will be doing likewise. I do however have numerous items that I would like to take with me for sentimental value, yes thats right, I am emotionally attached to something that is attached to a plug.

I have been told that you can take lamps over and just change the plugs but what about other stuff? I have an old pair of Technics 1210 turntables that I will not part with. Can I use a converter that will work long term? Can I get some kind of converter and then run a gang plug or adapter off it?

We have friends in Colorado who have even duel wired their home for 110 and 220!

If any of you could advise I would be more than greatful.

Cheers

D

Old Mar 7th 2003, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

As you say most people don't bother Or do bother & live to regret the waste of shipping.

Re, the lamps you can change the Lamp holder/cable/ plug for $5-$6 here in NYC. The holders are ES Edison screw not bayonet (usually).

The turntable, may have a switch or 2 plug position on the back 110/220v. My old Garrard did. If not, you may have trouble with the speed when using converter.

Your friends with 110v & 220v is not unusual, all bigger Air conditioners are 220v. Lots of home especially, newer ones have both. As far as I know, 220v USA not the same as 220/240 UK, MHZ is different. Plugs on 220v USA are really odd looking, 3 pin but special combination, so cannot be confused with 110v.

Others on here may be able to give you more expert advice on electrical differences. There have been several threads.

Worth a read:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=electrical

Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; Mar 7th 2003 at 3:01 am.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 4:04 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We sold most of our electrical gear before we came, and have mixed feelings. Having real trouble replacing some of it, such as a real nice espresso machine - most of the models here are cr@p or vastly overpriced - seems most people drink filter (or 'drip'). Shold have hung on to it and used a transformer.

We did keep a couple of things that we had bought very recently, and decided to ship them (we had a 40' container anyway) such as a bose stereo and a bit of computer equipment (yes, we could have bought cheaper here, but not a lot of point in ditching equipt only a month or 2 old.) None of it was dual voltage, but we picked up a couple of ageing transformers from family and friends and they're working fine 6 months on. Keep expecting them to melt down anyday, but so far so good.

If you're going to be shipping a containerload anyway, may as well bring them - a turntable doesn't take much room - and see if you can fix it up when you get here. Otherwise stick it in the store room till you move somewhere with 'proper' electricity again!