Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number in less than 1 day!

Social Security Number in less than 1 day!

Old Mar 11th 2003, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Indianapolis, Indiana headed for Nottinghamshire in May, 2012
Kady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Number in less than 1 day!

After getting the EAD a week ago today at the INS office in Indianapolis, Indiana, we went straight to social security to apply for the number.

Unfortunately, we got a lady that didn't know what she was doing and was pretty hateful. She kept on saying my husband wasn't in the system and wouldn't even let us put an application in. Well, the reason why he wasn't in the system is BECAUSE he hadn't filled out an application.

He went back yesterday at 2:00 p.m., got a gentlemen that knew exactly what he was doing and told Paul to call this morning to get the number by phone so he could start work instead of waiting on the card. Paul called at 7:00 a.m. and now he is the proud owner of a social security number. We could of had this last week though.

The man at the social security office was very pleased with what Paul brought with him; his passport, birth certificate, I-94 and his employment authorization document (EAD). The man even mentioned with Paul having all these documents last week, she should of put it through then. He did apologize for her but it wasn't his fault.

So I say to anyone that has a problem the first time. ask to see someone higher up like a supervisor. Alot of these workers have never dealt with an alien (my husband being British) and just don't know the procedure.

Kady

Last edited by Kady; Mar 11th 2003 at 5:53 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 6:13 pm
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Security Number in less than 1 day!

Originally posted by Kady
After getting the EAD a week ago today at the INS office in Indianapolis, Indiana, we went straight to social security to apply for the number.

Unfortunately, we got a lady that didn't know what she was doing and was pretty hateful. She kept on saying my husband wasn't in the system and wouldn't even let us put an application in. Well, the reason why he wasn't in the system is BECAUSE he hadn't filled out an application.

He went back yesterday at 2:00 p.m., got a gentlemen that knew exactly what he was doing and told Paul to call this morning to get the number by phone so he could start work instead of waiting on the card. Paul called at 7:00 a.m. and now he is the proud owner of a social security number. We could of had this last week though.

The man at the social security office was very pleased with what Paul brought with him; his passport, birth certificate, I-94 and his employment authorization document (EAD). The man even mentioned with Paul having all these documents last week, she should of put it through then. He did apologize for her but it wasn't his fault.

So I say to anyone that has a problem the first time. ask to see someone higher up like a supervisor. Alot of these workers have never dealt with an alien (my husband being British) and just don't know the procedure.

Kady

Awesome! Very glad to hear the process was so quick and painless for you!

CONGRATS!

Ang
Old Mar 12th 2003, 9:34 am
Mrtravel

Kady wrote:
    >
    > After getting the EAD a week ago today at the INS office in
    > Indianapolis, Indiana, we went straight to social security to apply for
    > the number.
    >
    > Unfortunately, we got a lady that didn't know what she was doing and was
    > pretty hateful. She kept on saying my husband wasn't in the system and
    > wouldn't even let us put an application in. Well, the reason why he
    > wasn't in the system is BECAUSE he hadn't filled out an application.

It sounds like she was indicating that the system had no record of his
immigration status.
This can take awhile before it is visible to SS.
This has nothing to do with whether he has filled pout a SS application.
It sounds like the second person took the EAD as proof and didn't bother
that the INS info available to the SS may not have been updated yet.

Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kady
In this case, you were the person that was incorrect, not the SSA employee. Your husband was NOT in the system and she could not have approved a social security card for your husband on the basis of his EAD alone. ~In the system~ has nothing to do with his SS application but with the entry by the BCIS of your husband's status in the database for social security to access to verify his status and issue his card.

By returning and applying a week later your husband had given BCIS time to enter his data into the system which allowed the second employee to find his name and status and thus the quickness in obtaining a social security number.

BTW you owe this "hateful" woman a world of thanks for not accepting his application. By doing so, she allowed his name to be entered by BCIS which expedited his request and removed the need for a six to eight week wait while they formally contacted BCIS by mail to verify the information.

Rete