Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EB-2 Exceptional Ability

EB-2 Exceptional Ability

Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EB-2 Exceptional Ability

Originally Posted by ZoeT90
To be honest we (my family) have only just recently decided we would like to make the move so this is all very new so I have soooooo many questions.
Fair enough, totally understandable.

The reason I would move when my daughter finished primary school is because she could finish primary, do all her exams etc. and then (hopefully) go straight into middle school so she is not being taken out mid way or joining half way through (if you know what I mean)
I do know what you mean, but tbh I don't think it makes a lot of sense! She absolutely would be 'taken out midway or joining half way through' - mid way and half way through her schooling anyway, and to a whole new educational system with nobody she knows. Far less disruptive to do it when she's more adaptable and less hormonal IMO.

Unless things change (which they could well do), the only exams she'll take in Year 6 would be SATS, which would be of no use to her in the US anyway (no use in the UK either, but best not to get me started on that one!), and she'll then be at the age when she'll have great friends and not want to leave them, and be settled in to groups/hobbies here too i.e. Guides/sports/whatever. As somebody that moved her daughter in Year 1, I would say that was easy, but I wouldn't do it now personally. Obviously each child is different, but there are children in her class that are kicking off because they're not going to the same secondary school as their mates - never mind a whole new country!

I know it will take you quite a long time to get to the point where you're even eligible for a visa, and possibly that won't happen before she's at secondary school anyway, but if you can move her earlier then I think that would be preferable personally.

Just to give you the point of view of a Mum of an 11 year old anyway!
Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

ZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which is great, research is good (I research everything to death, even what brand of pants to buy, so I get ya!). But as you've already been told, your chosen occupation isn't likely to lead to an easy visa, so I guess you need to decide if you are so determined to move to the US that you'll consider another degree/occupation, or if you'd rather stick with what you want to do and take your chances?

Exactly!! look yes I admit I'm asking loadssss of questions; which may seem stupid to some but to me I'm asking genuine questions I have that I want the answer to.

I realise my career may not be the easiest way in and that is why I am going back to Uni to get a degree as well as an accounting qualification (not just on the assumption it well help me get to the US also to further my career)
Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

ZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Fair enough, totally understandable.

I do know what you mean, but tbh I don't think it makes a lot of sense! She absolutely would be 'taken out midway or joining half way through' - mid way and half way through her schooling anyway, and to a whole new educational system with nobody she knows. Far less disruptive to do it when she's more adaptable and less hormonal IMO.

Unless things change (which they could well do), the only exams she'll take in Year 6 would be SATS, which would be of no use to her in the US anyway (no use in the UK either, but best not to get me started on that one!), and she'll then be at the age when she'll have great friends and not want to leave them, and be settled in to groups/hobbies here too i.e. Guides/sports/whatever. As somebody that moved her daughter in Year 1, I would say that was easy, but I wouldn't do it now personally. Obviously each child is different, but there are children in her class that are kicking off because they're not going to the same secondary school as their mates - never mind a whole new country!

I know it will take you quite a long time to get to the point where you're even eligible for a visa, and possibly that won't happen before she's at secondary school anyway, but if you can move her earlier then I think that would be preferable personally.

Just to give you the point of view of a Mum of an 11 year old anyway!

Thank you so much - I totally understand and I agree with you but right now we just don't have the resources to make the move
Old Jul 6th 2016, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, how rude. Why does it bother people so much all the questions I have on different entries into the US. I am very aware of the difference to the UK as I have many friends in the US and I have visited on numerous occasions, and I don't really think it's any bodies business as to why I would like to make the move.
Rete is an American and has lived here all her life. She can see things from a different perspective than most of us.

And another.....jeez! Why all the snarky comments. If your don't have an answer to a question move on....
It wasn't meant as a sarky comment...but a comment to an American who has quite a bit of experience about Florida. Every week we get numerous Brits asking about moving to Florida. Most have spent a couple of weeks at Disney and think they have fallen in love with Florida...so it's a bit of an inside joke around here. Of course you weren't to know that...
Old Jul 6th 2016, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Rete is an American and has lived here all her life. She can see things from a different perspective than most of us
That's all fine - but what one person dislikes another may like....

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It wasn't meant as a sarky comment...but a comment to an American who has quite a bit of experience about Florida. Every week we get numerous Brits asking about moving to Florida. Most have spent a couple of weeks at Disney and think they have fallen in love with Florida...so it's a bit of an inside joke around here. Of course you weren't to know that...
I've been to Orlando, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater, Tampa, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Key West, and so many more little towns I can't even remember.....but how were you to know my experience - you just assumed I was another 'Brit wannabe'
Old Jul 6th 2016, 3:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

That's all fine - but what one person dislikes another may like....

I've been to Orlando, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater, Tampa, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Key West, and so many more little towns I can't even remember.....but how were you to know my experience - you just assumed I was another 'Brit wannabe'
Those FL comments aren't meant to be taken all that seriously.

Rene
Old Jul 6th 2016, 3:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's all fine - but what one person dislikes another may like. .....
Yeah, some people just hate having too much holiday time.

To bring the thread back to the headline topic, "exceptional ability" means just what it says, that you have qualifications and experience that are so extraordinary that an employer can't find someone in the US to do the job.

Granted, it doesn't need to expertise in unicorn grooming or hen's dentistry, but it needs to be something pretty damned remarkable, and certainly not a mere degree and professional certification. If this doesn't apply to you now, nor is it likely to, then you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, some people just hate having too much holiday time.
Yeah that is pretty rubbish and I was well aware of that before I decided on wanting to make the move.

To bring the thread back to the headline topic, "exceptional ability" means just what it says, that you have qualifications and experience that are so extraordinary that an employer can't find someone in the US to do the job.

Granted, it doesn't need to expertise in unicorn grooming or hen's dentistry, but it needs to be something pretty damned remarkable, and certainly not a mere degree and professional certification. If this doesn't apply to you now, nor is it likely to, then you're barking up the wrong tree.
Who says that after getting my qualifications and working for say 10 years I don't develop something 'remarkable' my life is what I make of it
Old Jul 6th 2016, 3:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Who says that after getting my qualifications and working for say 10 years I don't develop something 'remarkable' my life is what I make of it
Statistically speaking, it is improbable. It just is, and trying to guess what niche skill or experience might be so sought after ten years from now that they might support an EB-2 is likely to be an exercise in futility and frustration.

We used to have someone who I think got an EB-2 as a landscape architect, which is easy to confuse with mere mowing and grounds maintenance, but I would strongly recommend against training and working as a landscape architect just because you think it will get you an EB-2 visa.

We all only live once, so honestly, do what you're good at and what you enjoy, and if it leads to a visa then great, but even if it doesn't you'll still be happier than the (if you believe the surveys), 90% of people who don't enjoy their job. Seeking a career just because you think you can get a visa is likely to end in disappointment, seriously, it really is.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

We all only live once, so honestly, do what you're good at and what you enjoy, and if it leads to a visa then great, but even if it doesn't you'll still be happier than the (if you believe the surveys), 90% of people who don't enjoy their job. Seeking a career just because you think you can get a visa is likely to end in disappointment, seriously, it really is.
That's what I am saying, I want to go back to Uni and get my degree and get my accounting qualification anyway - its not just because I think it will help, who knows where I will be in 10 years time.......
Old Jul 6th 2016, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that is pretty rubbish and I was well aware of that before I decided on wanting to make the move.

Who says that after getting my qualifications and working for say 10 years I don't develop something 'remarkable' my life is what I make of it
You may very well have an extremely successful career as an accountant. I consider that I have been very successful as one for example, but there is simply no way I could claim to be exceptional. And I don't think I could call any of the very many wonderful and highly talented accountants that I have encountered, exceptional either, not in this sense anyway.

It kind of isn't really something that one can be exceptional in although obviously one can excel in it. But you just don't really get internationally renowned accountants for example.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You may very well have an extremely successful career as an accountant. I consider that I have been very successful as one for example, but there is simply no way I could claim to be exceptional. And I don't think I could call any of the very many wonderful and highly talented accountants that I have encountered, exceptional either, not in this sense anyway.

It kind of isn't really something that one can be exceptional in although obviously one can excel in it. But you just don't really get internationally renowned accountants for example.
I am not just looking to be an accountant - I want to do more than that, that's why I am doing a business degree also.

My step-father is very good with IT and software packages, he's mentioned that in his and my mothers company the accounting software is useless - who knows me and him could develop something together.....
Old Jul 6th 2016, 4:27 pm

I am not just looking to be an accountant - I want to do more than that, that's why I am doing a business degree also. .....
The US is awash with people with business degrees and even MBAs are two-a-penny. I have had people with MBAs apply for jobs I have posted looking for little more than basic clerical experience. I can't imagine a business degree ever meeting the standard for exceptional ability.

BTW British accounting qualifications are worthless in the US, so you would have to learn US GAAP and US tax laws, and then take the US exams. ..... And that wouldn't make you exceptional either, you'd just be another US Certified Public Accountant.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 6th 2016 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
.... you just don't really get internationally renowned accountants for example.
At least not for the right reasons. .... Fred Goodwin is an accountant!
Old Jul 6th 2016, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

ecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond reputeecpb1992 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Zoe,

I certainly understand your frustration with trying to get answers, you can spend hours and days and weeks going round in circles on the internet and trawling forums to not get very far (speaking from experience) but perhaps re-assessing what your ultimate goal is may be helpful here? Ie. Is it that your one goal is to move to the US or is it that you want to forward your career in your chosen field and hope that it gets you there? In my opinion, those are very different routes. If you hellbent on getting a visa, I would look at a long term plan for an occupation a) that you enjoy and b) thats something in demand in the US or 'exceptional' as mentioned in your OP.

My background is within business and i have a Bachelors degree along with 8 years experience in running my own business but the reality is, theres thousands if not millions of US employees with a similar background, so from a US employers point of view, it would be more of a hassle to sponsor someone from the UK when they can find a decent employee on their doorstep. Therefore, i'd have no chance in getting one bar investing or getting a transfer.

On a side note, my partner had a petition filed for an O-1 (for exceptional ability) for him back in 2014 as an international tennis player with a great world ranking and numerous internationally renowned awards, only to be deemed not extraordinary enough (pff)! We're now in the process for applying for an E2 visa for an investment visa into a business but it just helps to put into perspective just how tight the process is to move to the US (not to mention costly).

I hope this helps in some way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.