Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Earthquake in Maine?

Earthquake in Maine?

Old Oct 17th 2012, 1:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake in Maine?

Originally Posted by nethead
Definitely felt it in South West VT, I was sitting on the couch and the wall behind me shook and my drink on the table was wobbling for a good few seconds.
Hundreds of miles away in Northern NY, I find that my third drink does this most nights. Earthquake? Maybe, maybe not.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
We had a bit of a wobble while sat on the sofa here near Springfield.
Lucky bugger

Charles
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:46 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
In saying that, on our return home, the rest of them were oblivious.... no change there then, one glued to the TV, one on their IPod, and the hubby's TV was so loud, he wouldn't have been able to tell one way or the other
It happened just after 7 pm? We were watching the PBS Newshour & noticed nothing out of the ordinary. My husband also watches the TV turned up too loud.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't feel a thing in Augusta. If I didn't have facebook, I wouldn't have even known anything happened.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Not much of a quake. Come visit me on the 11th floor when we get one here. Come to think of it, it's been a few months. We must be due.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
As I'm the queen of sneaky pro-UK propanganda, I had to slip in, 'we don't have earthquakes in England'. Hopefully that's still true lol!
Actually it isn't true.....ask the people of Dudley, epicentre in the West Midlands - felt in a wide area between Liverpool in the north and Hereford in the south just after midnight some years back) and not long ago in Folkestone, down in Kent (pavement littered with brickwork and chimmey pots and some very frightened cats and dogs) - and even more noticeable back in 1984 - Anglesey and North West Wales - structural damage to properties resulting in hundreds of insurance claims.

Back in 1931 a 5.6 Richter occurred in the North Sea to the east of Hull in East Yorkshire. If the quake had occurred 40 miles further west the city of Hull would have been very seriously affected resulting in certain fatalities.

In 1957 much of the East Midlands, and especially Nottingham, was shaken by quite a strong earth tremor resulting in some very minor structural damage.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

i guess youve never been to hull.

it always looks like a disaster zone
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Hull had a quake in 2008. Ironically I was in the Shaky Isles (aka New Zealand) at the time, but my house back home survived unscathed.

We also had a daytime one in North-West England in April 1990, although the epicentre was the midlands, IIRC. Bit scary - I was revising for my Uni Finals, Mum was in a different part of the house and didn't feel it and thought I was going mad with the stress until the neighbours came outside and started talking about it...
Old Oct 30th 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Actually it isn't true.....ask the people of Dudley, epicentre in the West Midlands - felt in a wide area between Liverpool in the north and Hereford in the south just after midnight some years back) and not long ago in Folkestone, down in Kent (pavement littered with brickwork and chimmey pots and some very frightened cats and dogs) - and even more noticeable back in 1984 - Anglesey and North West Wales - structural damage to properties resulting in hundreds of insurance claims.

Back in 1931 a 5.6 Richter occurred in the North Sea to the east of Hull in East Yorkshire. If the quake had occurred 40 miles further west the city of Hull would have been very seriously affected resulting in certain fatalities.

In 1957 much of the East Midlands, and especially Nottingham, was shaken by quite a strong earth tremor resulting in some very minor structural damage.
. Oh well I stand corrected...