Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Earth To Bush

Earth To Bush

Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:15 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earth To Bush

Originally Posted by Bob
but it does piss me off when you see people complaining about petrol prices on the news and there driving and suv
Nice to see GM took a $1.1 billion loss in the first quarter due to gas prices. I guess Hummers cost too much to fill up nowadays
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
And that's why I bought my minivan. It is a sad fact that Americans judge each other by their cars for all sorts of reasons. We judge each other by each other's shoes, clothes, house, you name it.

I do, however, reserve the right to judge someone based on their bumper stickers

I would say that most countries in the world have people that judge you on what car you drive, house you live in etc etc especially the UK. I would say that keeping up with the Jones' is far less apparant here than it was at home. Because cars are less expensive here than in the UK, the neighbours don't seem to bat an eyelid if you turn up with a BMW on the drive, I remember an old neighbour of mine back home getting one and the neighbours talked for weeks

I would just like to say to whoever sent me "what a load of crap Karma' for post no. 68 on this thread, you could of signed it, you big girls blouse!!!!! but thanks anyway.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Nice to see GM took a $1.1 billion loss in the first quarter due to gas prices. I guess Hummers cost too much to fill up nowadays
GM are scary, they own everything and mess them up...saab's and all that....they make most of there money on extras, like finance and that shite they call on-star, it's kack unless your in a big city, and it's nae on impossible to actually get it to do voice dials.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
I would say that most countries in the world have people that judge you on what car you drive, house you live in etc etc especially the UK....
yeah, but there's nothing wrong with driving a banger as a first car in the UK, or having a banger while at uni....number of kids over here driving new cars is much higher...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:34 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that most countries in the world have people that judge you on what car you drive, house you live in etc etc especially the UK. I would say that keeping up with the Jones' is far less apparant here than it was at home. Because cars are less expensive here than in the UK, the neighbours don't seem to bat an eyelid if you turn up with a BMW on the drive, I remember an old neighbour of mine back home getting one and the neighbours talked for weeks
Yeah, takes a Ferrari, or a Lotus, or maaaaybe a little red Corvette
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And that's fair enough...I don't really care what people drive, but it does piss me off when you see people complaining about petrol prices on the news and there driving and suv

Why does it piss you off? Everyone has a right to be pissed off whether you have a car that does 35 to the gallon or one that does 10. A friend of ours has triplets, she owns a Yukon XL as its the only thing wide enough to get 3 car seats in and still have room for a triple buggy and all the shite you need to carry round for three babies, another friend has twins and a two year old, same car, same reason. They both hate it as well but needs must and all. Just because they have to have an SUV, can they not be pissed off about gas prices?
What about people who drive Mercs/BMW's etc etc with 5L engines, can they moan because its not an SUV?
Everyone has there reasons for having one, even my neighbours with 4 cars between two of them do, they have a massive boat, they go off for the weekend quite alot and use their SUV to tow the boat, rest of the time they drive a 7 series, are they only allowed to moan when they're in the 7 series?
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, but there's nothing wrong with driving a banger as a first car in the UK, or having a banger while at uni....number of kids over here driving new cars is much higher...

yeah but when you can lease a brand new Honda/VW etc with warranty and all for only $139 a month, I'll take the new car please for my daughter..insurance is going to be horrendous either way so I'd rather she was driving round in something safe with airbags etc.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:44 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but when you can lease a brand new Honda/VW etc with warranty and all for only $139 a month, I'll take the new car please for my daughter..insurance is going to be horrendous either way so I'd rather she was driving round in something safe with airbags etc.
She'll live that long???
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:46 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yeah, takes a Ferrari, or a Lotus, or maaaaybe a little red Corvette
A guy in the house behind us has a hummer, ferrari and a corvette, other than me no-one really notices.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evoal2003
She'll live that long???
she can start driving here at 15(Jesus she cant walk in straight line yet ) so I think it will be close judging by the school report I've just seen ,..hmmmmmm

Last edited by Eskimo; Apr 30th 2005 at 5:54 am.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Why does it piss you off? Everyone has a right to be pissed off whether you have a car that does 35 to the gallon or one that does 10. A friend of ours has triplets, she owns a Yukon XL as its the only thing wide enough to get 3 car seats in and still have room for a triple buggy and all the shite you need to carry round for three babies, another friend has twins and a two year old, same car, same reason. They both hate it as well but needs must and all. Just because they have to have an SUV, can they not be pissed off about gas prices?
taking things out of context, anyone can drive what they like, and needs be, fair enough, but lets be honest here, most drivers do so just for the sake of having a big SUV, you don't need one to commute to work everyday etc, and when they start whining, it gets annoying, same goes for anyone in a v8 4+L motor.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:02 am
Payed up premium member

Originally Posted by Eskimo
she can start driving here at 15(Jesus she cant walk in straight line yet ) so I think it will be close judging by the school report I've just seen ,..hmmmmmm
are you and woodsey on separate computers ?
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by evoal2003
are you and woodsey on separate computers ?

no we're not
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

good for you...
personally, i'd rather they appriciate the value of there motor and work for it, so get it themselves, I did....not that there's anything wrong with parents splashing out for there kids on there cars, my priorties are different, and they might change in the future.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:11 am
Payed up premium member

Originally Posted by Eskimo

15 :scared: I was a complete idiot at 17. I remember before I left the Uk the number of 17 year olds in serious and fatal accidents was far too many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.