Reload this Page >

EAD - Now find a job....your experience

EAD - Now find a job....your experience

Old Feb 22nd 2014, 2:02 pm
SWD
Just Joined

SWD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD - Now find a job....your experience

I've read a post on here titled 'EAD on an L2'. There were some interesting points from several contributors about how difficult it is to find employment once you have been issued with EAD on an L2.
Once contributor stated that although she had been issued with her EAD she had basically been discounted, face to face during an interview, for a role/roles as her employment document was based on an L2 which is, of course, subject to time restrictions and is dependent upon a partner holding an L1.

I understand that it is illegal for an employer or recruitment agent to ask what type of visa you have that enables you to hold an EAD.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has been issued an EAD on an L2 and your experience of seeking employment on this basis. Did you find it difficult finding employment (obviously I understand it would also depend on your skill set and experience), can you offer any advice, were you asked which visa you had that was the basis for obtaining your EAD and how did you handle this question?

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD - Now find a job....your experience

Originally Posted by SWD
...(obviously I understand it would also depend on your skill set and experience)...
That would be key, so perhaps say what you're looking for and you'll get more relevant info.

As for getting around them asking about the EAD, don't even bring any of that up. Just say you're work authorised to work for any employer in the US and that's the end of that until it's job offer time.

Other wise, yes it can be really tough, or it might not be a problem :/
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 4:53 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

As long as you satisfy the I9 requirements (everify) your visa not come into the equation
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Work authorized is all that needs to come up.

Getting a job in some areas is hard regardless.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 7:20 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SWD
Did you find it difficult finding employment (obviously I understand it would also depend on your skill set and experience), can you offer any advice, were you asked which visa you had that was the basis for obtaining your EAD and how did you handle this question?
I had a EAD on a J2 visa, which is similar to the L2. I remember having to show my EAD (card) when starting employment. HR took a copy. I can't remember exactly what visa info was on the card -- but it definitely had an expiry date, which was the end date of my husband's visa.

So, really, if you have to show the card, and if it shows an expiry date, does it matter what visa it's attached to? I assume the objection most employers have with L2 and J2 is that you can't commit long-term.

Re finding a job, it's very hard to generalize, but I think if your international experience isn't a distinct plus, it's a distinct negative.

When I applied for office and admin work, I didn't even get interviewed, and I had plenty of relevant experience in the UK. I hadn't worked in the US before, and that was an automatic no when there were plenty of other candidates to choose from.

When I applied for TEFL work, I had fewer problems, since overseas experience is a big plus when dealing with international students.

I think people often assume that once you've got an EAD, you can apply for the same kind of roles you'd apply for back home, with a similar chance of success. Unfortunately, that's often not the case, and the EAD-holder's career often has to take a step back. Bit depressing, but you get over it! And it does really depend on your field.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:32 am
SWD
Just Joined

SWD is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks MoshiMoshi, that was really helpful. I'm currently a Project Manager working in Change and Regulatory finance and IT projects. Whilst I expect it will be difficult to find work in this field, I'm happy to change careers and adapt.
Your experience of finding TEFL work is encouraging as I had often thought of investigating this type of work so will into it further.