Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

I have been eligible for US citizenship for a while (married to USC husband July 2009, been living in IL ever since) however I haven't applied for it as was just planning on doing it sometime in the future (10 yr green card expires 2022).

Last week we found out that my husbands company wants to transfer him to a position at their UK office and we are going to go ahead and accept as its a great opportunity for him and although I've liked living in the US for the last 4 yrs I've always missed the UK.

So my main problem comes to what to in terms of visas, our first child was born last month and I have already sent in her registration to the British consulate so she is set but I dont know what to do about myself. We plan on return to the US 2-3 times per yr to see my husbands family and also the UK position is a 2 yr contract so we may move back at the end, I would like that option open but really want to avoid giving up my PR status and having to go through the whole visa journey + cost again in 2 yrs time, so a couple if questions.

1) we won't be relocated until feb-march 2014, looking at the timeline it seems it is taking 5 months for citizenship applications to go through. Would it be able to submit it all now be then fly back to the US for the oath ceremony? Or is that a big no no.

2) if I don't apply for US citizenship am I likely to lose my PR status if I am out of the the country for big periods of time over the next 2 yrs?

Any advice on what I should/could do would be greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

If you want citizenship, you'll have to hurry. I think everything has to be done before you leave otherwise it gets complicated.

If you don't get citizenship, get a re-entry permit thing. Note also when you come back, you'll have to wait a considerable time before you can apply for citizenship again.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Would it be able to submit it all now be then fly back to the US for the oath ceremony?
If you're eligible to apply, do it. As long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements, including physical presence and continuous residency, you'll be fine. You'll need to fly back for both the interview and the oath ceremony... and you'll need to meet those eligibility requirements at each stage - but if you continue to meet the requirements, you should be fine. The details are in the Guide to Naturalization.

if I don't apply for US citizenship am I likely to lose my PR status if I am out of the the country for big periods of time over the next 2 yrs?
Any time you're out of the US for long stretches of time, you risk losing your PR status. You can help avoid it by filing for a re-entry permit prior to leaving... but even so, it's not a guarantee.

Ian
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

There are procedures for expedited processing for alien spouses of AmCits working for US companies abroad. Something to look into.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Thank you! I discussed this with my husband tonight and I think I will go ahead and file for citizenship ASAP and then remain in the US till it is processed and he can go to the UK earlier without me if need be. Makes sense in the long run and then I won't have to worry about my PR card being revoked!

Once you get your naturalization certificate at throats ceremony do you have to apply for a US passport within the US or would I be free to go back to the UK on my British passport and apply for a US passport from there?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:46 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

I applied for US citizenship on 09 May 2012. I downloaded the application form online, completed it and sent it off with the cheque (from my Chase checking account) and mailed it from a local FedEx service centre to an address in Texas.

I had to go for the biometrics (fingerprints) in early July 2012

I then had my interview and test (which I passed) in Newark, New Jersey and on the same day had my oath ceremony. This was on 22nd August 2012. OTOH my son applied on the very same day - we mailed our applications in the same envelope and had our biometrics on the same day. However, he wasn't invited for his interview and test on the same date as myself....his was on 11 September 2012 and he became a US citizen on that day.

I was very impressed on how quickly it all went through though! You too may be able to get yours at around the time your spouse has to head off to the UK for his job. Why not see if the company will provide a flexible air-ticket so you can change the date for when you need to fly at the last minute if necessary?

http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship

PS. Once you have attended your oath ceremony then you are considered to be a US citizen. You then should only leave the US (and re-enter the US) with an American passport. I trotted off to our local post office the following day after my oath ceremony to apply for a new passport and I'm sure I got it back within 10 days, but I think I'd paid the extra fee to get it expedited - I think first time applications take slightly longer than renewals. A few weeks later I relocated to Switzerland where my spouse is currently on an expat posting

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 12th 2013 at 7:50 am.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get your naturalization certificate at throats ceremony do you have to apply for a US passport within the US or would I be free to go back to the UK on my British passport and apply for a US passport from there?
By law, all USCs must leave and enter the US using a US passport. That said, there are no US immigration exit controls, but that doesn't actually change the law! If time is a factor, you can get your passport processed in one day if you go to one of the main processing centers. I'm sure you can find a list online somewhere.

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
By law, all USCs must leave and enter the US using a US passport. That said, there are no US immigration exit controls, but that doesn't actually change the law! If time is a factor, you can get your passport processed in one day if you go to one of the main processing centers. I'm sure you can find a list online somewhere.

Ian
They were giving out US passport application forms *and* a leaflet with the address of the nearest 1 day processing centre (Philadelphia) when I had my oath ceremony in Newark, NJ.

Btw when you have sent in your application for citizenship and received confirmation by mail a few days later, you can track the progress online with the application number you are issued with.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
They were giving out US passport application forms *and* a leaflet with the address of the nearest 1 day processing centre (Philadelphia) when I had my oath ceremony in Newark, NJ.

Btw when you have sent in your application for citizenship and received confirmation by mail a few days later, you can track the progress online with the application number you are issued with.
Yep. When my husband had his oath ceremony, we had already filled in the passport application, printed it out, and had photos ready to submit as soon as he got his certificate of naturalization in hand. We walked over immediately to the Phoenix downtown passport office (only a few blocks from his oath ceremony). Turned everything in and paid for expedited processing. I think he had his passport within a week.

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the advice. I applied Beginning of December and have my interview set for beginning of a March hope the turn around to oath ceremony is quick as we are leaving end of March....

If it's later I will just have to fly back for it and then fly to the nearest passport center... Would be quite a hassle though so fingers crossed!!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the advice. I applied Beginning of December and have my interview set for beginning of a March hope the turn around to oath ceremony is quick as we are leaving end of March....

If it's later I will just have to fly back for it and then fly to the nearest passport center... Would be quite a hassle though so fingers crossed!!
If you tell them at the interview when you are leaving and why, they might arrange for you to be sworn in outside of the usual ceremony. It doesn't have to be done at an organized ceremony.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you tell them at the interview when you are leaving and why, they might arrange for you to be sworn in outside of the usual ceremony. It doesn't have to be done at an organized ceremony.
+1

My ceremony only had about 15 people, and was in the same building as the Passport Office so I just went up a few floors and put in my Passport application. I requested expedited service as I was due to travel to Belgium on business in a couple of weeks time.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:18 pm

Question Re: Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

As a matter of interest, for those of you whom passed your test at the interview at a Federal building where they don't do the Oath on the same day, do they give you your Green Card back?

I had my Oath on the same day at Newark, NJ, so they took my Green Card off me at the interview and I never saw it again
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of interest, for those of you whom passed your test at the interview at a Federal building where they don't do the Oath on the same day, do they give you your Green Card back?

I had my Oath on the same day at Newark, NJ, so they took my Green Card off me at the interview and I never saw it again
Myself and wife had our ceremonies on different days (my wife a few weeks after me), and they kept our Green Cards.

We took our son and daughter a few weeks later for their ceremonies, to the same Federal Building, and they didn't keep their Green Cards, so I don't really don't know what you might expect.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

About to submit my N-400 myself, as the tax refund just came through My understanding is that if you're not taking the oath the same day then they will return your GC and will take it from you at the ceremony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.