Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

E3 for Financial Analyst & Tax related

E3 for Financial Analyst & Tax related

Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

neilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really nice
Default E3 for Financial Analyst & Tax related

Hi Guys,

I have done my Bcom and my Mcom (both in Accounting and Finance) and Currently doing my CIMA (Strategic Level). I am an Australian Citizen and currently wanting to know if I can get E3. I have worked for American Express (2yrs), CBA (2yrs) and for a UK bank here for almost a year.

I wanted to know if anyone from Finance profession has gone to the US recently and how to go about searching for jobs. If you can share some experience that will be really appreciated.

Also, the other question I have and I am a bit worried about this and will be a huge concern in taking up any job in US. I am married and have a mortgage here. If I move to US I will have to rent this property out. This will certainly mean -ve income i.e. my mortgage payments more than the rental income. Now if I were in Australia, this would mean a negative gearing and deductible from my salary income. But if I move to US, there will be outlay of around 1000-1300 AUD per month in negative. Add to that I will have to pay rent in the US. Does anyone know of tax concessions AU citizens get working in US? Can someone suggest ? I dont intend to sell my home a. becuase recently bought b. I will be coming back to AU.

It would be really appreciated if I hear your views.

Thanks in Advance.

Neil
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:16 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E3 for Financial Analyst & Tax related

Originally Posted by neilk
Hi Guys,
obtaining a visa is hard enough without the sweating the small stuff.

cross the bridges when you get to them.

incidentally, Australians are taxed higher than everyone else in the USA because we have had to endure Rupert Murdoch.......
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

neilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really niceneilk is just really nice

Manc,

Thanks for your response.

The information I am seeking will mean that I can take informed decision. There is no point running around only to know the financial side does not stak up.

Would be great if you can tell me more.

Thanks again.

Neil
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Also,

Would love to know more why you say its hard to get this Visa. Any specefic step that you think is time consuming ?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:22 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Also,

Would love to know more why you say its hard to get this Visa.
getting my residency sorted in the USA was probably one of the most stressful, infuriating, beauracratic mess I've ever been involved with...... and as the spouse of a US Citizen for me it was relatively easy compared to an E3 or L1 or H1 or whatever......
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Manc,

So you have not moved from Australia to US on E-3 ?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

I have done my Bcom and my Mcom (both in Accounting and Finance) and Currently doing my CIMA (Strategic Level). I am an Australian Citizen and currently wanting to know if I can get E3. I have worked for American Express (2yrs), CBA (2yrs) and for a UK bank here for almost a year.

I wanted to know if anyone from Finance profession has gone to the US recently and how to go about searching for jobs. If you can share some experience that will be really appreciated.

Also, the other question I have and I am a bit worried about this and will be a huge concern in taking up any job in US. I am married and have a mortgage here. If I move to US I will have to rent this property out. This will certainly mean -ve income i.e. my mortgage payments more than the rental income. Now if I were in Australia, this would mean a negative gearing and deductible from my salary income. But if I move to US, there will be outlay of around 1000-1300 AUD per month in negative. Add to that I will have to pay rent in the US. Does anyone know of tax concessions AU citizens get working in US? Can someone suggest ? I dont intend to sell my home a. becuase recently bought b. I will be coming back to AU.
http://www.irs.gov - start there.

Once you are tax resident in the U.S. you are taxed on worldwide income, subject to any provisions of the Australia/US double taxation treaty. Just because Australia allows a loss on rental income to offset against employment income, don't assume the same applies in the United States.

You should check the terms of the Social Security agreement to see if you can be exempted paying the U.S. Social Security tax.

Also - unless you plan definitely to come home, what's your plan to get a green card?

As noted elsewhere, CA would be a better qualification to do if you are going to the U.S.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Jaj,

Will have a look at the webpage.

Where will I get more information on double tax treaty. I will google it too. But if you know anything.

About rental loss, I suppose that will be the same place as the tax treaty.

Re : CA - well I have done Bcom and Mcom and Chartered Management Accounting final level. Re : GC - I may be wrong in the way I think but I want to work in US 2-3 years and return. If there is a way of applying GC and not waiting 4-7 years then will do that. Someone here said that converting E3 to H1B and then applying GC might be better. But I dont know more information on that.

Once I enter US, I can start CPA.

THats my thoughts. Correct me if I am wrong......I dont understand the Soical Security Agreement ? Mainly becuase I have just started exploring into my options coming to US and I dont know everything on it yet.....it will be reading forums and googling and also responses from people like you.

thanks again.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Jaj,

Will have a look at the webpage.

Where will I get more information on double tax treaty. I will google it too. But if you know anything.

About rental loss, I suppose that will be the same place as the tax treaty.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=96454,00.html

Re : CA - well I have done Bcom and Mcom and Chartered Management Accounting final level. Re : GC - I may be wrong in the way I think but I want to work in US 2-3 years and return. If there is a way of applying GC and not waiting 4-7 years then will do that.
If your job (and your skill profile) fits into second preference category EB-2 then that would normally be quicker, unless you are born somewhere that's quota limited (India or mainland China, currently).

Someone here said that converting E3 to H1B and then applying GC might be better. But I dont know more information on that.

Once I enter US, I can start CPA.
You will need to meet the requirements of a state board to sit for the CPA exam. Being CIMA qualified will not give you automatic entitlement.

THats my thoughts. Correct me if I am wrong......I dont understand the Soical Security Agreement ? Mainly becuase I have just started exploring into my options coming to US and I dont know everything on it yet.....it will be reading forums and googling and also responses from people like you.

thanks again.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/intern.../austrlia.html

You may not be able to get exemption if you are not sent by an employer.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi Mate,

Thanks a ton for all this. I will read it through.

Can you advise me about why GC is so critical. Is it becuase E3 visa or basically any non migrant visa is prone to cancellation anytime. I was thinking more so from the view that I will be working for 2-3 years. If I can get a job with a decent employer that should be good.

I have worked for 2 multinationals and one biggest bank in AU for a total of 5-5.5 years......

I have had a couple of agents from US show interest but nothing to the level to get excited.

My idea is not to get htere and go for GC although if the experience is good that thinking might change....Its more so for the experience.

Given all that, the current Finance/Banking climate leaves a lot of questions...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

It's just more convenient to have a green card than a temporary visa - it is "permanent" meaning you can't be deported without going before an immigration judge as I understand it, you don't come in contact with people all over the place who have no idea what the hell an E3 is, if you choose to study later on you can qualify for in-state tuition.. etc etc.

Having said that, I'm on an E3 and I'm fine now that I've got the drivers licence, social security etc sorted out and got settled.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Augigi,

Thanks mate - I totally understand your view. As I said, just want to work for 2-3 years in the US. But I know, the day I lose my job need to come back. THere will be constant fear so as to speak.

What do you work as ? I mean profession wise ?
THanks

Neil