Reload this Page >

E2 Employee Visa + questions.

E2 Employee Visa + questions.

Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

7ukee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 Employee Visa + questions.

Hello,

After 4 months, we have finally completed the E2 visa - both for the business and for the employee. the E2 Employee Visa was for myself.

If anyone has any questions about E2 visa questions either relating to the business side or for the employee, I'll be happy to respond if I know the answer as I was quite involved with both (There is very little info about the E2 employee visa on this site). Everything regarding this visa was relatively straight forward and the time taken to get the visa was mainly our fault.

I do have a few questions about what happens next, if someone is happy to reply.

1, Am I able to get a drivers licence.
2, What is an i94 form (I read it was needed)
3, Will I now be paid by the US company or the UK company still?
4, Do I need a SSN?

Is there anything else I might be missing?

Thanks guys
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 Employee Visa + questions.

Originally Posted by 7ukee
1, Am I able to get a drivers licence.
How can we possibly answer, since we don't know where you're going to live/work? There are 50 states... therefore 50 different sets of rules. Find the DMV regulations for your state and look it up.

2, What is an i94 form (I read it was needed)
I was going to ask whether or not Google was broken, because you could have found out with a 2-second search... but, that aside, the I-94 is an arrival/departure record. The expiry date on the I-94 is the date by which you must leave the US.

3, Will I now be paid by the US company or the UK company still?
How can we possibly know the answer to that? Surely that's in your employment contract.

4, Do I need a SSN?
Yes, if you want to get paid!

Is there anything else I might be missing?
With respect, this is your first ever post... how can we possibly know if there's anything you're missing when you've told us nothing whatsoever about you, the type of position you'll have, the company, where it's located, or your job responsibilities.

Here's a hint... if you want good answers, give good information.

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

After reading the info below your name, I won't bother writing what I was originally going to say

OK, lets start again:

1, Am I able to get a drivers licence in the fine state of Arizona on an E2 Visa? I see no clear yes/ no answer anywhere. Yes, I may not be looking hard enough

2, What is an i94 form (I read it was needed). I've looked on Google, but I'm unsure what it is and if its required for someone in my position. (if you don't know, you don't know)

3, Will I now be paid by the US company or the UK company still? We're a small business, so everyone helps everyone. Contracts etc haven't been formally written up and this process is new to everyone. Is it a requirement to be paid by the US company on an E2 Visa?

4, Do I need a SSN regardless of being paid? Is it a general requirement?

Thanks again
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How can we possibly answer, since we don't know where you're going to live/work? There are 50 states... therefore 50 different sets of rules. Find the DMV regulations for your state and look it up.

I was going to ask whether or not Google was broken, because you could have found out with a 2-second search... but, that aside, the I-94 is an arrival/departure record. The expiry date on the I-94 is the date by which you must leave the US.

How can we possibly know the answer to that? Surely that's in your employment contract.

Yes, if you want to get paid!

With respect, this is your first ever post... how can we possibly know if there's anything you're missing when you've told us nothing whatsoever about you, the type of position you'll have, the company, where it's located, or your job responsibilities.

Here's a hint... if you want good answers, give good information.

Ian
I'm not sure the company info/ responsibilities is relevant to my questions, but if it is, let me know. Job role is managerial
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Arizona DMV web site will I am sure tell you how long new residents have to get a Arizona DL.

The I 94 determines how long you are allowed to stay, how long was the initial E2 granted for?

Where the money comes from, not sure it matters, but yes you need to have a US paycheck, deductions SSN etc. Something the Accountant handles.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking in AZ your license will be limited in validity by the evidence you supply pertaining to your legal residency at the time of application. Check AZDOT.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7ukee
Yes, I may not be looking hard enough
Oh, honest to god... it's not that hard to find, and all it requires is a bit of effort on your part! http://www.azdot.gov/docs/mvd-forms-...5.pdf?sfvrsn=0. With respect, we are not here to spoon feed you! I may be a sanctimonious prick, but I will always be brutally honest - which will serve you far better than someone who prefers to help you feel good about yourself.

2, What is an i94 form (I read it was needed). I've looked on Google, but I'm unsure what it is and if its required for someone in my position. (if you don't know, you don't know)
I told you what it is, and why it's important. You will get one... indeed, you won't be allowed to enter the US without one!

3, Will I now be paid by the US company or the UK company still? We're a small business, so everyone helps everyone. Contracts etc haven't been formally written up and this process is new to everyone. Is it a requirement to be paid by the US company on an E2 Visa?
What does the company attorney say? If they don't yet have one, they'll want one!

4, Do I need a SSN regardless of being paid? Is it a general requirement?
You don't need a SSN if you aren't going to be paid, although you will need one if you want a driver's license. If you are going to be paid, either by the US or the UK, you will need one. Regardless of whether your pay comes from the US or the UK, you will be required to file a US tax return... and the US will tax you based on your worldwide income. Fortunately, the US/UK tax treaty will help you avoid paying double tax.

Frankly, if you're new to the process, then you need to do some research on your own. Research is not the same as asking people to hand you information you could find out on your own with a bit of effort!

Now... go do some research! If there's information that you can't find on your own, let us know and we'll be glad to help.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:46 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

You get the I-94 when you enter the US... Well, they don't actually give you the paper but you can go to a website and print it off. If you have your E2 you don't have to do anything extra.

You will be eligible to drive for a short while in your UK license but as a US resident will have to get a state license. Check the DMV of wherever you are moving to.

My husband is on an employee E2 visa and is paid by the US company. He had to apply for a SSN. I don't have an EAD so no SSN but have managed to get a driving license.

Watch out for tax!! We're only planning on being here for 2 years so that has meant we need to pay US tax but UK NI (and have an exemption from US social security). V confusing. Hubby works in tax so was able to get lots of advice in this.

HTH