Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using iPhone, Skype, and a WiFi access point on a trip to UK

Using iPhone, Skype, and a WiFi access point on a trip to UK

Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using iPhone, Skype, and a WiFi access point on a trip to UK

I'm heading to UK in Oct for a few weeks. In the old days, I would use an old 'unlocked' four-band GSM phone with a local UK SIM card to make calls. This time I'm taking my iPhone and my laptop, and will need data as well as 'voice'. I'm not interested in unlocking the iPhone for various reasons. So do you think this is feasible:
  1. Buy a pay-as-you-go WiFi access point - https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariffs/zt...ot/?payGo=true - device plus 2 Gig initial allowance for 58 GBP.
  2. Use this device to connect my iPhone (and laptop) to the internet.
  3. Use Skype on the iPhone, with a local (UK) phone number assigned (small cost) and also pay for the Skype service to allow calls to regular numbers.

Do you think using Skype over a WiFi access point will be feasible? I would need to have the access point 'on' any time I wanted to make or receive calls, which may be a challenge - but I don't expect to be needing it that much. When I leave the UK, I can give the Access point to a family member.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using iPhone, Skype, and a WiFi access point on a trip to UK

That's a LOT of expense!

I borrowed an unlocked iPhone from a friend and ordered a free sim online. In fact I ordered two different ones and had them sent to my parents.

The two I got were Orange, which I didn't use and giffgaff.com, which is in my phone right now. For 10 quid, I got a package with 500 minutes voice, unlimited texts and 1Gb data, valid for one month. International calls are extra, but the US is just 3p a min. You would need to put another 10 pounds on the account to use it, though, so I didn't bother. It needs to be set up online once you get it but it was activated and usable within about 30 minutes.

Your phone MUST be unlocked to use the services though and giffgaff does actually offer a how-to on their website.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 10:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The only question I can answer is the one about using Skype over wifi. I do that fairly regularly now, because the call quality is better than my regular VoIP phone. I use it for audio calls only, I can't comment on how it would work for video calls.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

DexterBerkeley is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used a similar device to that access point on Three, but I think the experience will be similar.

It works great when it's on, and as you say it will need to be on to receive any calls on Skype, and as long as the signal is good enough it works great. When I was using it on my laptop I just had it plugged into USB, that way it is on all the time and doesn't kill the battery.

One other tip, you may want to consider giving the WiFi network the same name (SSID) and password as your home network, that way your devices which connect at home will all just work without having to configure them all.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It might be a wifi hotspot, but its not wifi speeds (obviously). Have you checked 3G coverage for the area you'll be in?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, the 3G coverage is never good enough to make a call.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Having your own wifi hotspot is a great idea when visiting the UK, we were very disappointed at the lack of free wifi over there when we visited earlier this year even the higher end hotels make you pay for it and even T5 at Heathrow is on boingo !
Luckily for us we were spending time sorting out mothers house so we 'borrowed' the neighbours wifi now and again.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:58 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

If you have trouble with Skype, I've found that Google Hangouts can be more stable on less than perfect connections.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info.

I think I will get the 'WiFi hotspot' as it will provide me with reasonable access wherever I go (hotels, etc). I'm traveling to mainstream locations so I would think there should be data service in those locations. I've been offered an old 'classic' phone from a family member, so I can use that as a fallback, and experiment with the Skype solution on the side.

I appreciate the info on giffgaff; I will look into that further.

I have since found that Verizon may unlock my iPhone 4s for free - https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/696707 - which would allow me to use a (micro) SIM from any UK provider. The only challenge here is - my Verizon iPhone 4s was provided by my employer, and I'm no longer employed by them; they allowed me to keep the phone, and are paying for the service through end-of-year as part of my 'package'. Being a 'business' line (one of over 1,000 lines of service), I can't call as an individual to request changes, and I'll need to have the authorized contact in the company make that request for me ... which I will try to do. For those who don't know, the Verizon iPhone 4S has quad-band GSM radios for international use in addition to the dual-band CDMA for US use.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It may have a quad band GSM, but does it have a SIM card slot? I was under the impression they didn't...
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by civilservant
It may have a quad band GSM, but does it have a SIM card slot? I was under the impression they didn't...
Yep, absolutely. It's a 'micro' SIM card.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:29 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Yep, absolutely. It's a 'micro' SIM card.
Interesting, I was under the impression all Verizon Iphones had been CDMA with no SIM tray. Everyday is a school day
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Interesting, I was under the impression all Verizon Iphones had been CDMA with no SIM tray. Everyday is a school day
The first bunch I think were like that, but they changed it, certainly for the 4s.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 8:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the 4s was the first Verizon model to have the replaceable SIM. Verizon will unlock the phone if one meets their conditions.

The iPhone5 comes unlocked. It will work on both CDMA and GSM networks.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Bob
The first bunch I think were like that, but they changed it, certainly for the 4s.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Little late to the party, but Verizon did unlock my 4S so I could use it on my current trip to the UK. It's one of many phones on my work's business account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.