Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Nationality USA/UK and flying to UK

Dual Nationality USA/UK and flying to UK

Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:29 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Nationality USA/UK and flying to UK

Originally Posted by thebrit123
Thanks for your replies. The last times, that I flew overseas was in 2009. At that time, I decided to use the US passport in Edinburgh as the immigration line was very short. The immigration officer suggested that I use the UK passport next time. I told her that I was worried about the USA giving me a hard time when returning back to the USA. I guess it would be better to use in Heathrow since the lines will be longer than Edinburgh.
It doesn't automatically follow that the EU line is shorter than the non-EU one - I've seen instances where the reverse is true. If you are carrying both UK and US passports (and the circumstances of your entry warrant it) then you can pick whichever queue you like.

This is our first family reunion in year. American/British airways are offering some good deals which worked out good. My younger sister, who is flying from another airport, will be traveling with her son. He has a US passport and she a UK one. I guess they will be split up in Heathrow when going thru passport control. Hope that does not happen since this is his first flight overseas and he is only 9 years old. How do they handle a person with a EU passport and a kid with a USA one?
I'd definitely say it would be silly to split up - but maybe someone can chime in with which queue to join in this circumstance.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

My younger sister, who is flying from another airport, will be traveling with her son. He has a US passport and she a UK one. I guess they will be split up in Heathrow when going thru passport control. Hope that does not happen since this is his first flight overseas and he is only 9 years old. How do they handle a person with a EU passport and a kid with a USA one?
No - you do not need to be split up. My wife recently used a UK passport and our 10 year old daughter who was with her used a US passport to enter the UK. They both used the EU line. On another occasion they both used the non-EU line.

My wife and I (and our 4 kids) are also US/UK citizens. Last time I went to the UK, I only used a US passport at all stages and had no problems. Last time my wife went, she used her US passport to leave/enter the US and her UK passport to enter the UK. On the way back, she attempted to use her UK passport to leave the UK but she was asked a question (regarding her ability to enter the US as she doesn't have an ESTA) and so she produced her US passport as well.

So if you have both passports, take both. If you only take one passport, make sure it's a US passport as US citizens are legally required to leave/enter the US on US passports. The UK places no such restriction on its citizens.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 18th 2012 at 10:56 am.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

TonyC1958 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
No - you do not need to be split up. My wife recently used a UK passport and our 10 year old daughter who was with her used a US passport to enter the UK. They both used the EU line. On another occasion they both used the non-EU line.

My wife and I (and our 4 kids) are also US/UK citizens. Last time I went to the UK, I only used a US passport at all stages and had no problems. Last time my wife went, she used her US passport to leave/enter the US and her UK passport to enter the UK. On the way back, she attempted to use her UK passport to leave the UK but she was asked a question (regarding her ability to enter the US as she doesn't have an ESTA) and so she produced her US passport as well.

So if you have both passports, take both. If you only take one passport, make sure it's a US passport as US citizens are legally required to leave/enter the US on US passports. The UK places no such restriction on its citizens.
I agree; don't split up. I have a UK passport and my wife and duaghter have US passports. We all went through Non-EU line in LHR no problem. I asked immigraiton official if we could all go through EU line next time, and she said my wife and daughter could accompany me through the EU line if the trip was a simple vacation/family visit for a short period (couple weeks or so).
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:01 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your replies. The last times, that I flew overseas was in 2009. At that time, I decided to use the US passport in Edinburgh as the immigration line was very short. The immigration officer suggested that I use the UK passport next time. I told her that I was worried about the USA giving me a hard time when returning back to the USA. I guess it would be better to use in Heathrow since the lines will be longer than Edinburgh.

This is our first family reunion in year. American/British airways are offering some good deals which worked out good. My younger sister, who is flying from another airport, will be traveling with her son. He has a US passport and she a UK one. I guess they will be split up in Heathrow when going thru passport control. Hope that does not happen since this is his first flight overseas and he is only 9 years old. How do they handle a person with a EU passport and a kid with a USA one?
Both my wife and son traveled on US Passports the last time we went back to the UK as a family (August 2010). At Heathrow we went through the EU line I presented all three passports (UK + 2US) to the immigration agent as head of family with no issue.