Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship UK/US

Dual Citizenship UK/US

Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

katielouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizenship UK/US

I have been trawling the internet lately trying to figure out the current status on dual citizenship between the US and UK.

Lots of the posts on here are several years old and are pretty conflicting with some saying that the US does not allow it and others saying its okay?

If a British citizen were to marry an American citizen and eventually apply for citizenship do they have to renounce their British citizenship?

What are the pros and cons of swapping from being a British permanent resident in the US to a US or UK/US citizen in the US?

: )
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship UK/US

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Natura...ship_Resources
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I am a British citizen by birth and a US citizen by choice. There is no problem in holding dual citizenship.

The advantages are a bit of what an individuals circumstances are, but it makes a difference to social security, inheritance tax being a US citizen. Disadvantages can't say I've found any except in my unusual circumstances it changes my requirement to pay tax on one pension from the UK to US and that will cost me more in income tax.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katielouise
Lots of the posts on here are several years old and are pretty conflicting with some saying that the US does not allow it and others saying its okay?
Don't confuse "the US does not allow it" with "the US doesn't officially recognize it". The US will treat you as a US citizen and totally ignore that you are a citizen of any other country. To the US... you exist only as a USC.

If a British citizen were to marry an American citizen and eventually apply for citizenship do they have to renounce their British citizenship?
No. Absolutely not! I married a USC and retained both my Canadian and UK citizenships. I have 3 passports and always travel with at least 2 of them.

What are the pros and cons of swapping from being a British permanent resident in the US to a US or UK/US citizen in the US?
Four immediate advantages... 1) you never have to deal with USCIS again; 2) you can leave the US for as long as you want and are guaranteed entry when you return; 3) you release your I-864 sponsor from his financial obligation (although you could have done that after about 10 years anyway); and 4) you can vote and be part of the process rather than a bystander who is affected by changes in policy but unable to participate.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 28th 2010 at 1:45 am.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

GreyDawg is an unknown quantity at this point

I've read Dual Citizenship FAQ Dual Nationality and United States Law by Rich Wales http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ but still need a key question answered.

If a UK citizen (by birth) becomes a US citizen by choice now (in 2010) then despite the language of the US naturalization oath the individual retains his/her UK citizenship and becomes a dual citizen: ie, the UK doesn't take the renunciation language seriously, and the US no longer objects to dual citizenship. Correct?

Apparently the long-standing objection to dual citizenship was relaxed after court rulings in 1967 and 1980 (per Rich Wales).

And now the question: Were those rulings retroactive? Suppose an individual (UK citizen by birth) became a US citizen in, say, 1960. Would the UK have regarded that person as a dual citizen at time of naturalization, even if the US did not? And later, after those court rulings, would the US have acknowledged the dual citizenship of the individual?

Or is dual citizenship limited to people who became US citizens after 1980?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreyDawg
I've read Dual Citizenship FAQ Dual Nationality and United States Law by Rich Wales http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ but still need a key question answered.

If a UK citizen (by birth) becomes a US citizen by choice now (in 2010) then despite the language of the US naturalization oath the individual retains his/her UK citizenship and becomes a dual citizen: ie, the UK doesn't take the renunciation language seriously, and the US no longer objects to dual citizenship. Correct?

Apparently the long-standing objection to dual citizenship was relaxed after court rulings in 1967 and 1980 (per Rich Wales).

And now the question: Were those rulings retroactive? Suppose an individual (UK citizen by birth) became a US citizen in, say, 1960. Would the UK have regarded that person as a dual citizen at time of naturalization, even if the US did not? And later, after those court rulings, would the US have acknowledged the dual citizenship of the individual?

The USA does not recognise dual citizenship. It simply ignores it.

Or is dual citizenship limited to people who became US citizens after 1980?
Before 1 January 1949, any adult British person (except married women) becoming a US citizen automatically lost British nationality.

The United States has NEVER demanded that newly naturalized citizens obtain a certificate from their former countries proving loss of nationality. The reason for this is that many countries refuse to give such documentation and insisting on it would give those countries a veto over who could and could not be a US citizen.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

GreyDawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah. So the individual in my example, naturalized in 1960, would have retained his UK citizenship.

My father will be delighted to hear that.