Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK student finishing studies, options to moving to US?

UK student finishing studies, options to moving to US?

Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:04 am
Just Joined

cycles will become famous soon enough
Default UK student finishing studies, options to moving to US?

Hello,

I'm a UK student and I'm nearing completion of my studies (I'll be all done by June). I'm considering moving to the US and I'd like to know what my options are - ideally I'm looking for a way to "sample" US life, whether that's easier or harder than a full emigration, I don't know.

Any advice you've got would be superb!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK student finishing studies, options to moving to US?

Originally Posted by cycles
Hello,

I'm a UK student and I'm nearing completion of my studies (I'll be all done by June). I'm considering moving to the US and I'd like to know what my options are - ideally I'm looking for a way to "sample" US life, whether that's easier or harder than a full emigration, I don't know.

Any advice you've got would be superb!
Hi and welcome to BE. There's a ton of info on here and the "search" function is going to be your friend.
Try reading this to get you started :
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lisa67
Hi and welcome to BE. There's a ton of info on here and the "search" function is going to be your friend.
Try reading this to get you started :
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Hi lisa - yes, I've seen that and read the sticky threads on this forum. Sadly, it makes it all look quite bleak - I don't think I have a chance of proving that an American could not do my job, which means getting a job over their is very unlikely. I also can't just pluck a marriage out of thin air, so all those options are out of the question too!

I'm starting to think my only realistic choice is to continue my education (probably a masters degree in my same course) and try and develop my ideas there - maybe I do meet someone to have a relationship with, but I still don't think this makes the job opportunities any easier (I won't be a citizen, so I don't think I'm even going to be considered for jobs )
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

I also notice that this is a very vague thread, so let me give you some more information I posted this on Pandalous, so please excuse the copy and paste!

I'm a 20 year old university student from the UK and I'm coming to the end of my 3 year course. As such, it's starting to get to the time where I need to consider what to pursue next. It's a degree in computer science, and I'm looking to get a first class honours degree (BSc). I also have 3 years job experience (working from home) to compliment the degree, so I think I will be left in a fairly strong position.
My first option is to get my head down and work - I find a job somewhere in the UK and get my head down - straight to work. I like this option as I should be able a job fairly easily with my background, I believe, and it will be nice to be in an actual workplace with some other programmers around. However, the only problem I have with this is that it feels a bit too soon? I'll be 21 at this point, and it still feels I have a few more years to try some more risky ideas...

So, this brings us onto the next idea. I have a very close friend who I've known for 3 years in New York and I'd love at some point to turn that into a real relationship. I don't know how to make the transition from the UK to America though. I think I have 2 options here - I take another course in America, or I try and find a job there. I have no idea if either of those are feasible in my position - so if someone could advise me that would be superb. The only potential set back here is that my friend is my main motivation, and she has just started a new relationship with someone else - I'm not sure how well I'd handle being in an alien country, and have to be around the person I love knowing she's with someone else.

I will be visiting her in the summer for 10 days, which I'm hoping to use as both a way to get to know her, but also to try and get to know more of America - as I've never been before. However, 10 days feels too short, and commiting to moving their feels like too large a plunge... How can I spend a substantial amount of time in America (6 months to a year, min) without making a larger commitment?

Finally, the only other option I can think of, is to take some time out and do some travelling. I don't know much about this option either, but the only plan at the moment is couchsurfing - maybe a fortnight somewhere to a month somewhere, come home to make a bit more cash, then do it again?

As you can see, I have a few vague ideas but they all need developing - hopefully you can help!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

OK...so, in my limited opinion, you have the following options..

start working for a large, multi national company in the UK and hope that they will transfer you over to the US sometime (L1 visa)

carry on your studies in the US (Masters degree, but mega amounts of dosh needed)

come over for a holiday, make amends with female friend and see if that relationship develops into marriage.....

but if you've never been to the US before, what makes you think you want to live here??
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

but if you've never been to the US before, what makes you think you want to live here??
Change of culture, and because said friend is there (I really want that to blossom into a full relationship, but that doesn't look possible given her current status).
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

carry on your studies in the US (Masters degree, but mega amounts of dosh needed)
Honestly, this seems like both the quickest and the most feasible option - how much mega amounts of dosh am I looking at. Are there often any funding options for international students?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

hi cycles,
have you ever been to the U.S? Go for a few visits first before you alter the course of your life in pursuit of emigrating there... its a very different place to live and work, than the UK... not only that but laws and attitudes can be surprisingly alien as well - you may not like it as well as you think

That being said, good on you for having an open mind and exploring the adventure of living in another country for a few years!! Please have a look at other locations, like Canada... being somewhere like Toronto is actually closer than youd think to your New York friend, and Canada could be an eaiser ride in terms of qualifying for a visa.

Good luck with your research, and happy travels!

Maddy
xx
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Madelina
hi cycles,
have you ever been to the U.S? Go for a few visits first before you alter the course of your life in pursuit of emigrating there... its a very different place to live and work, than the UK... not only that but laws and attitudes can be surprisingly alien as well - you may not like it as well as you think

That being said, good on you for having an open mind and exploring the adventure of living in another country for a few years!! Please have a look at other locations, like Canada... being somewhere like Toronto is actually closer than youd think to your New York friend, and Canada could be an eaiser ride in terms of qualifying for a visa.

Good luck with your research, and happy travels!

Maddy
xx
Thanks maddy, this is some great advice I have just spoken to a friend who's done travelling a lot and he suggests Canada too after we discussed the massive costs of American emigration.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You can look into Bunac or another J-1 exchange program for recent graduates; you seem to have overlooked that in the Pulaski's Ways.

Think baby steps.. you're not going to go straight into a skilled visa category or straight to a green card, but there are other options only available to students & recent grads.

And leave the girl alone. She's IN a relationship; this isn't the time to show up on her doorstep (creepy).
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

J1 is your best option if you want to only sample life here....that or continue studies in the US.

Other wise, short term options are slim till you've got a few years experience.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

pigletsweet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Cycles.

I am in your position too. I am currently doing my BSc but in Psychology/nuero.

Canada is a good option too and is close to NY should you live just over the boarder.

As the others say US masters is a possible..though funding is required unless you can prove extraordinary ability. I have riffled through the sites for Masters and spoken to many places for advice from their departments and it does seem in general as UK citz..we have little chance of funding unless a US Citizen will sponsor you for a US loan..(someone can correct me if I am wrong).

Computer science I believe is on the STEM list so it may be a tiny bit easier then a job that is not on there. You could always apply for work in the states and see how it goes? They do have to prove ..or so I believe..that an American can not be found to fill the spot..worth a try though? Either way pay a visit to the US first..it is vast and different..not like here at home.

With the woman in your life..prob best be her friend for now..it may not last and you will be there to help pick up the pieces
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pigletsweet
With the woman in your life..prob best be her friend for now..it may not last and you will be there to help pick up the pieces
Yeah cos everyone appreciates an ex hanging around the place
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

pigletsweet is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol erm what?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pigletsweet
...You could always apply for work in the states and see how it goes? They do have to prove ..or so I believe..that an American can not be found to fill the spot..worth a try though?
waste of time with out decent experience and/or niche skills, costs quite a lot to bring someone over, so your not going to get a fresh graduate when they are dime a dozen over here already.

5 years from now, with experience, certainly worth a shot, or if able to work in a company transfer even better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.