Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drug testing

Drug testing

Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:11 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drug testing

I find this truly bizarre. My wife had to take a drug test when she started her new job. Most places require this as I am sure everybody knows. However, an employment agency offered her a job the other week and said not only would she have to take the test but also pay for it herself!!!
60 dollars. I told her to tell them to shove it. Her new employer paid for the test but I still find it annoying. Like when they ask to see your receipt when leaving Meijers. I find it kind of insulting.

Anyhow, the drug testing. Her new employer is pretty cool. Two weeks ago a girl they employed failed the test (which only tests for pot by the way, not any serious drugs that may indeed impair your ability to work) and the owner of the company said - drink lots of water and come back in two weeks. She passed and they took her on. The boss said he has to follow the rules regarding this but is a decent fellow obviously.

By the way, my wife passed with no problems but the indignity and hypocrisy is what winds me up. Never mind that some places make you pay for it yourself. So the question is: why is America so insane about the use of pot? The CIA spent years flooding black ghettos with cocaine to fund the Contras in Nicaragua and yet they will ruin your whole life if you smoked a joint two weeks ago by forcing you to take a drug test just to get a crappy job at Maccy D's.

Apparently, one of the few employers who don't make you take a drug test is.........................you guessed it, the American government. Well, senators and congressmen dont have to. Every time it is raised they just refuse. Talk about hypocrisy!!! It almost makes me glad I am not a pot head.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:16 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drug testing

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
(which only tests for pot by the way, not any serious drugs that may indeed impair your ability to work)

It almost makes me glad I am not a pot head.

1. Are you insinuating that pot does not impair your ability to work?

2. Are you sure you really don't want to be a pot head?

I know a fair few people that have completely pickled their brains by smoking pot

nothing really serious like being totally zombified, more along the lines of people who once were reasonably smart losing any motivation or drive in life and becoming a bit 'simple' (slight exaggeration)

I honestly think that cocaine (probably not heroin) usage once a month is going to have a less detriemental effect on someones ability to work effectively in the workplace than someone who smokes pot 3 or 4 times a week....
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Pot stays in your body in traceable amounts much much longer than coke or smack or whatever. If a person knows they'll have a drug test in 3 days they'll quit (if they can) for 3 days and still pass.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

What gets me is people who critisise smokers but use pot
A joint is equal to a whole pack of fags.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
Pot stays in your body in traceable amounts much much longer than coke or smack or whatever. If a person knows they'll have a drug test in 3 days they'll quit (if they can) for 3 days and still pass.
Not if its a hair test ..think more like 90 days
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's used as a good get out for to sack people, if they don't have right to fire states, they want you out and think you might be on something, they'll randomly test you to sack you, well where the missus use to work, that was the case.

Where she currently works part time, at the mall, there was a fire alarm, sears caught on fire, anyway, fire alarms went off, they had to evacuate, but before being allowed out the store, they still had to have a bag check in case they pinched anything *lol*
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:52 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
A joint is equal to a whole pack of fags.
Only if you put tobacco in it ...... allegedly.