Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in VA

Driving in VA

Old Feb 1st 2004, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving in VA

Seems anyone wanting to obtain a full driver's permit in Va has to have a green card now. The only exception to this rule ( brought in under the legal proof of residence laws, knee jerk reactions to 9-11 ) is if you have a valid work permit & they grant a waiver for you to be looking for a job.

No wonder so many people do the illegal entry route, and then the texas cretin lets them all become legal nationals anyway !
Old Feb 1st 2004, 8:41 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

So surprised was I at that piece of news that, even though I'm in Texas, I actually took the trouble to visit the Virginia Department of Transport website, where I found the following:

Legal presence means that a person is either a U.S. citizen or is legally authorized to be in the United States. Legal presence can be proved using a U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport. It also can be proved using a variety of other documents such as a Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization, Resident Alien Card or a valid foreign passport with a visa, I-94 or an I-94W with a participating country.

...note the part "valid foreign passport with visa". Like any state, all Virginia is asking for is proof that you are legally entitled to be resident - NOT a permanent resident/green card holder.

So, no different to any other state (or country for that matter) at any other time then!

Old Feb 1st 2004, 11:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbj1000 ....
So, no different to any other state (or country for that matter) at any other time then!
Except California that for a short while under than clown of a governor, Davis, anyone with a Mexican "Matricula Consular" could also obtain a Californian drivers licence. I think that the same was true here in NC, but has been stopped as of last Friday (I think).
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

We have been advised by a lady at our local congressman's office that this is the case. They had called the DMV in Richmond and had got the ruling from the horses mouth so to speak.

I had an I-94 that ran out 25th Jan ( 3 months after entry to the USA )
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:50 am
Franklin

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
We have been advised by a lady at our local congressman's office that this is the case. They had called the DMV in Richmond and had got the ruling from the horses mouth so to speak.

And you need (from memory) at least three independent forms of ID. A US passport and a UK passport don't count as separate forms of ID, nuts, but there it is (I waited hours to find that out at a VA DMV), so had to go home and dig up my transcripts which they accepted in place of one of my passports. (Apparently, the naturalization certificate counts too, but couldn't find it when I needed it, Murphy's Law).

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Im going through the same thing in OH. It does not mea you need a greencard, after much arguing at one office I went to a second one who deal with a lot of immigrants. If you have a passport and visa they will issue you a non transferrable non renuable license for the duration of your I-94, with a work permit it's until that expires. The non renuable bit confuses me because I know many people who have taken their new work permit down and renued their license.

Most places you go to dont know FA about what to do if youre not a citizen, call the office that you think will have the most contact with us foreigners!
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:51 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't need a green card in VA...just a club to beat some sense into the DMV. That outfit is more frustrating than the whole visa, green card and SSN business.

Surprised you are not required to speak Spanish to get a license here too, since Spanish seems to be the first and only language of choice at my local branch.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy

You just need your EAD. I had the same problem here in AZ. I just went to the DMV to get a AZ state ID card so I didnt have to carry my passport around anymore. They wouldnt even give me that because the I-94 in my passport had past the 90 period and had expired. I got a very bemused look when I told them about my K1 visa and they told me to go back when I got my EAD.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Spanish is the prime language around Manassas too, they say that the schools around here will be over 50 % Hispanic intake this year.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

usmprez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For Dr. Scrumpy

Are you for real?

You are in the U.S. on an I-94 which expired on Jan 25th and here you are calling the President of the USA nasty names. Then you go on to complain about the number of Hispanics.

I presume you came to our country because learning Spanish might be a little easier than Indian or Pakistani as there are large parts of your own country where 100% of the population speak those languages. I recently visited Britain and on going through immigration at Heathrow noticed that every single officer was wearing a turban.

It didn't bother me in the slightest, but you know what - if I didn't like it I wouldn't live there.

You "old boy" have the same right of choice!

Vaya con dios
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: For Dr. Scrumpy

Originally posted by usmprez
Are you for real?

You are in the U.S. on an I-94 which expired on Jan 25th and here you are calling the President of the USA nasty names. Then you go on to complain about the number of Hispanics.

I presume you came to our country because learning Spanish might be a little easier than Indian or Pakistani as there are large parts of your own country where 100% of the population speak those languages. I recently visited Britain and on going through immigration at Heathrow noticed that every single officer was wearing a turban.

It didn't bother me in the slightest, but you know what - if I didn't like it I wouldn't live there.

Vaya con dios
I am here u moronic retard because I married a USC. Given your rascist viewpoints I would imagine any immigrant would enhance the gene pool that you float in.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Are you for real?

<<snip>>
I think Scrumpy's comments about Latinos was just stating something he'd read. There was nothing implied about disliking Latinos or any kind of complaint.

You're reading too much into the comment. You just want to start a "flame war"!

For your information, there is no such language as Indian or Pakistani. Try Hindi or Urdu for starters.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:10 pm
Franklin

Are you for real?

Vaya con dios
I didn't see any racist commentary from Dr. Scrumpy. Scrumpy stated a fact, which he probably read somewhere. Stating a fact does not amount to a complaint! Duh!!!

Old Feb 8th 2004, 3:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
I didn't see any racist commentary from Dr. Scrumpy. Scrumpy stated a fact, which he probably read somewhere. Stating a fact does not amount to a complaint!
In fact, if you take a moment to go back and read Dr S's post again it has no spin, positive or negative, but the words could as easily be read in a "Hey! That's great!" tone of voice as a "Good Lord! This is terrible!" one.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 3:23 am
Franklin

Originally posted by Pulaski
In fact, if you take a moment to go back and read Dr S's post again it has no spin, positive or negative, but the words could as easily be read in a "Hey! That's great!" tone of voice as a "Good Lord! This is terrible!" one.
*nods*
Inflections and tone of voice are not really easy to discern. The words don't explicitly express anything of a racial nature. If they did, I would also object since diversity built this great country ... how does the saying go, ""Bring us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses " (from memory, so excuse me if I got it slightly wrong).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.